May 17, 2024, 01:24:55 PM

Author Topic: Teaser Tuesday @All Us Geeks - Preview: Devil's Trident  (Read 7073 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Teaser Tuesday @All Us Geeks - Preview: Devil's Trident
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
yeah, it works as i thought, i've just understood the sentence in the article incorrectly, thx for explaining.
EDIT:Though about it some more and became confused again  :(, if the creature had flame +3, then the cripple would only apply on 5 results instead of 6 right? so the probability of cripple would go down a bit?

I agree, once you get to Flame +3 and more, the chance to cripple decrease.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48:05 AM »
Ok, just because i didnt have my morning cofee.

1) I roll 5 >> Cripplpe
2) I roll 5 on +2 Flame creature >> Cripple + flame
3) I roll 5 on +5 Flame creature >> Cripple + flame

+X modifier is just updating flame thus burn chance. Not cripple (poison). Right?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
No. As stated before, the + adds to the die roll.  In example 3, 5+5=10 which is a 9+ result from the chart on the card.  That gives 1 burn and no cripple.  +x Flame works when an attack does flame damage, not when an effect roll can generate a flame effect, and it affects the entire outcome of the die rather than just any flame - related part of it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:13:17 AM by Gregstrom »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:17 AM »
As other people have said, modifiers affect the effect die, not the chart on the card. Apply the modifiers to whatever you roll and then compare the total to the chart as printed.

As the article stated, this means the chance to Cripple will never go UP however it may still go down. If you have enough modifiers to give you a 100% chance to apply an effect, then any modifiers beyond that will decrease your chance to cripple in exchange for increasing the burn chance.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 06:18:45 AM »
Right. If the target somehow had flame +12, you couldn't ever cripple with DT, because every result would be Burn. You'd also be doing something like 16 damage:  there's gotta be something left of your enemy to cripple it!

As it is, I can't (quickly) think of any way a creature could have more than flame +3, (plant + smouldering curses). DT is bad against plants anyway, because the piercing is wasted. Gotta pick the right tool for the job.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »
Thanks guys. I was just got unsure during all those +X explanations :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
DT is bad against plants anyway, because the piercing is wasted. Gotta pick the right tool for the job.
[mwcard=MW1A04]Fireball[/mwcard]
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
Right. If the target somehow had flame +12, you couldn't ever cripple with DT, because every result would be Burn. You'd also be doing something like 16 damage:  there's gotta be something left of your enemy to cripple it!

As it is, I can't (quickly) think of any way a creature could have more than flame +3, (plant + smouldering curses). DT is bad against plants anyway, because the piercing is wasted. Gotta pick the right tool for the job.
+fireshaper ring on the warlock?

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »

+fireshaper ring on the warlock?

Fireshaper Ring grants the attackers fire attacks "Melee +1", which is different than the defender having "Flame -1"

Fireshaper Ring giving you +1 Melee does not give you +1 to effect dice of Flame attacks.   

Melee/Ranged +X trait doesn't effect effect rolls.  only the "Type +/- X" does.