May 11, 2024, 01:57:13 PM

Author Topic: Casting cost of Purify?  (Read 27870 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Casting cost of Purify?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
The resolution step of spellcasting is the event. You cannot split up a step into smaller steps.

Just to be clear, I realize exactly what you're saying and I understand the arguments put forth by Zuberi. That being the case, you cannot interrupt the resolution step, you have to wait for it to resolve.

Now, I will work through all of the other ruling issues as fast as I can. I've already been pouring over the rulebooks v2 through v4 constantly for the past 48 hours, and it would seem I'll continue doing that for a fair portion of the foreseeable future. We all need some peace on that issue and if that means I dig through all of them, then I dig through them.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »
After the caster of purify selects and pays for 1 or more poison conditions - BAM! step/event! - you can reveal enchantment transfusion.
Nope, a step is a step and not event. And no, you cannot pour water on a step after midnight and it becomes an event.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:41:56 AM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
Purify calculates it's cost when it resolves. In this case the X is just there to remind you that the spell could have a variable cost. In this way it also interacts correctly with Enchantment transfusion.

it breaks a normal rulle.
it's no problem but it should be clearly written on the card ("X is calculate and payed during the resolve step").

a few questions about how it will work:
1) with nulify
a nulify costs 0 to counter a purify?

2) with transfusion
purify decides to destroys an enchantement (and adds its cost to its own cost) / it's an event, so the other player can reveal transfusion and save a few other enchantements / purify chooses some other enchantements if thers's somme left?

No you cannot reveal enchantment transfusion during the resolution step of casting a spell. You'll have to pull the enchantments off before then.

According to your other post in another thread *barkskin and poisoned blood* you can if the situation is right.

After the caster of purify selects and pays for 1 or more poison conditions - BAM! step/event! - you can reveal enchantment transfusion.

;D ;D ;D
i like this forum these days!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »
Nope, a step is a step and not event. And no, you cannot pour water on a step after midnight and it becomes an event.

I thought water made the step split into mini steps. It only becomes an event if you feed it after midnight.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »

I thought water made the step split into mini steps. It only becomes an event if you feed it after midnight.
That and Judo Chops will split steps into many mini-steps especially if performed by mini-me (or mini-you).

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »

It does if the water freezes and someone slips on the ice....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »

It does if the water freezes and someone slips on the ice....
QFT!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2015, 05:54:04 AM »
Why i always remember Home Alone! with Culcin when came to Ice on stairs :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Can we keep this on target please.

My two cents on this.

1) Purify is declared, it chooses a target and it checks it is a valid target within range.
2) It targets a number of enchantments, and or markers and creates an integer for each.
3) Pay costs, each integer is multiplied by its respective cost and summed to create a total cost. Upon this total cost being zero then the casting cost is also zero. Due to the variable nature of the cost of this card, a casting cost of X is used.
4) Resolve the effects of purify, following each line and apply in order.
5) Check for trigger effects, such as Priestess life gain.
6) End activation.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2015, 07:31:58 PM »
Can we keep this on target please.

My two cents on this.

1) Purify is declared, it chooses a target and it checks it is a valid target within range.
2) It targets a number of enchantments, and or markers and creates an integer for each.
3) Pay costs, each integer is multiplied by its respective cost and summed to create a total cost. Upon this total cost being zero then the casting cost is also zero. Due to the variable nature of the cost of this card, a casting cost of X is used.
4) Resolve the effects of purify, following each line and apply in order.
5) Check for trigger effects, such as Priestess life gain.
6) End activation.

The only target is the Living Creature selected at the start of the spell. You do not target the enchantments or conditions.

Where would you put the counterspell step in the above list? I think that that is the main question here. Do you cast the spell (having not yet paid any mana), let the opponent counter it, and then... if not countered... select the conditions and enchantments that you want removed and pay the mana cost? Or... do you select all of the conditions and enchantments that you would like to have removed at the start and pay the mana costs up front?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
Laddinfance has answered this question.

Step 1: Declare Spell
You declare that you are casting purify and select which creature it is targeting.

Step 2: Pay Costs
The casting cost of Purify is 0. Ignore the X printed on the card, it is a misprint.

Step 3: Counter Spell
See if anything triggers here.

Step 4: Resolve Spell
Now you first select which conditions to remove and pay for them, then you select which enchantments to remove and pay for them. I'm not sure why it matters what order you do this in since there's no chance for a response during this step....unless they count as two different events (a headache currently being discussed in another thread).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:55:57 AM by Zuberi »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2015, 05:42:29 PM »
Laddinfance has answered this question.

Step 1: Declare Spell
You declare that you are casting purify and select which creature it is targeting.

Step 2: Pay Costs
The casting cost of Purify is 0. Ignore the X printed on the card, it is a misprint.

Step 3: Counter Spell
See if anything triggers here.

Step 4: Resolve Spell
Now you first select which conditions to remove and pay for them, then you select which enchantments to remove and pay for them. I'm not sure why it matters what order you do this in since there's no chance for a response during this step....unless they count as two different events (a headache currently being discussed in another thread).

Yes, I know. I was pointing this out in a different way. I'll just stop talking... thanks.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2015, 04:53:54 AM »
I was about to post this. I didn't have the card in front of me when I posted before. I thought I knew the text.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2016, 04:50:04 AM »
Purify calculates it's cost when it resolves. In this case the X is just there to remind you that the spell could have a variable cost. In this way it also interacts correctly with Enchantment transfusion.

it breaks a normal rulle.
it's no problem but it should be clearly written on the card ("X is calculate and payed during the resolve step").

a few questions about how it will work:
1) with nulify
a nulify costs 0 to counter a purify?

2) with transfusion
purify decides to destroys an enchantement (and adds its cost to its own cost) / it's an event, so the other player can reveal transfusion and save a few other enchantements / purify chooses some other enchantements if thers's somme left?

No you cannot reveal enchantment transfusion during the resolution step of casting a spell. You'll have to pull the enchantments off before then.

just getting up an old topic if i have poisoned blood on me i cast purify for 5mana and after they pay step the oponent reveals an enchantment transfusion, my spell will be cast but nothing will be removed and poisoned blood on a new target, as in the resolve step there is not poisioned blood on it.

In the case i have plagued and ghoul rot on me i pay 8 mana for purify and an echantment transfusion is revealed before the resolve step, but the oponent has only 2mana he can only move one of the two away, and in either case i can destroy the other as i payed enough mana to destroy it and it is still there?

and last case i pay 8mana ghoul rot and pb are there transfusion is revealed ghoul rot moved, but i can still destroy PB as i have payed 8 which is sufficient (but is more than 5 by 3)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »
The important thing here, Mystery, is you don't choose what you remove until the resolve spell step AND you don't have to pay anything until the resolve spell step. You pay for the effect of removing the poison, not for Purify itself. The casting cost of purify is essentially 0.

Thus, if they move things around before the Resolve Spell step, you don't have to pay any mana at all. You're still out the spell and the action, but you don't ever lose mana unnecessarily. If they let you get to the point where you're spending mana, the Resolve Spell step, then they are too late to stop it from having the intended effect and you will remove things exactly as you planned.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:16:13 PM by Zuberi »