April 27, 2024, 05:52:08 PM

Author Topic: Casting cost of Purify?  (Read 27473 times)

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Casting cost of Purify?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
From what I understand, when a mage summons a creature they are not actually summoning a thing in the world right now. The creatures are merely copies of what already exists. So a [mwcard=MW1C04]Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard] is just a "average" Bitterwood Fox (think of it like how all fireballs probably look similar). When you cast a legendary creature you are actually copying a specific thing. So for [mwcard=MW1C06]Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard] the spell is most likely because the mage has gotten to know Brogan and can copy his exact likeness.
If spells are summoning copies of an object, then why can't there be more than one legendary creature in play? Do they have some sort of copy protection? Or maybe it's non-legendary objects that are in public domain?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
To summon a precise copy of a legendary creature you have to have that creature's permission. Unfortunately, only a single copy of a unique individual can exist at a time.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
To summon a precise copy of a legendary creature you have to have that creature's permission. Unfortunately, only a single copy of a unique individual can exist at a time.
Can there be more than one arena fight at a single time? If yes, then how mages deal with summoning copy of legendary creature when one copy of that creature is already fighting in different arena?
Can a mage bribe another mage to summon Brogan and prolong fight, because an hour later than other mage he'll be fighting Priestess?
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
And what's even more fun is that for many of the very high level creatures, e.g. Adremelech, what the mage summons is only a shadow of the subject's true power.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

More on how this works here on the World and Lore board, for those who are interested in the storyline aspects.
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16022.0
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:48:26 PM by Sabrath_Kell »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »
Thanks... this hasn't been a rules discussion for some time now.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 04:26:08 AM »
and yet the rulles question was important!

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »

and to be fair, I'm not sure its been answered has it?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »

nope!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »

Actually, Zuberi answered the original question in the third reply to the original post. The question was one of timing of when to pay for the effects of casting the spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »
I'm going to paraphrase Exid, who I think gave a wonderful summary of things.

With Purify, the X isn't well defined. I believe that Arcane Wonders simply neglected to write "X=total cost" on the card. This means you would pay for it during Step 2: Pay Costs.

With Resurrection and Animate Dead, the discard pile is out of range and LOS. I believe the target for these spells should have been zone instead.

There is no official word from Arcane Wonders currently, but these answers make the cards playable. Any other answer would cause the cards to be unusable.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 01:47:57 AM »
Which make it obvious, what kind of answer it would be :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 12:24:42 PM »
does that mean the wording should be something like remove condition tokens up to the value of the mana you paid?

Cause it reads like you don't determine the mana cost until the effect stage.  So going back to the initial question, whats the cost of a nullify etc?  Its hard to make the caster agree they were going to remove those 8 weaken tokens when they could say I'd only planned to test if you'd got a nullify on me?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:26:32 PM by Moonglow »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »
there are still uncertainties with enchantment transfusion.

Must the choice of poison enchantment(s) be made up front so the opponent with a face down enchantment transfusion can select only to move those targetted before the spell resolves, or can the caster of purify select a combination of poisen conditions and / or poison enchantments that totals equal or less than the mana spend on purify during the resolve step?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
The general rule is that when a spell has multiple effects to choose from, you make those choices during Step 1: Declare Spell. This is when you would choose which conditions and enchantments you wish to destroy. Then in Step 2: Pay Costs you pay the total mana cost required to destroy them. If it then gets Nullified, you are out the entire amount of mana.

Enchantment transfusion is an interesting case. You don't actually target the enchantments that you plan on destroying, so it doesn't matter that they've been moved. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that Enchantment Transfusion would be pointless and the selected Enchantments would still be destroyed regardless of them being moved. I can't think of a reason off the top of my head at least why moving them would save them, since they are not targeted by the spell, but I'd have to actually look over things to be certain, which I don't have time to do right now.