May 17, 2024, 01:26:38 AM

Author Topic: First time Druid- wanting feedback!  (Read 10154 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
First time Druid- wanting feedback!
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
Never played a druid before, and am actually still very new to MW Arena (my absolute new favorite game). I have a match this Saturday against a Warlord. Looking for feedback from veteran mages. Below is my list with a brief rationale for certain cards.

Equipment

Dragonscale Hauberk x1
Druid's Leaf Ring x1
Eagleclaw boots x1
Elemental Cloak x1
Elemental Wand x1
Gauntlets of Strength x1
Leather Chausses x1
Lightening Ring x1
Meditation Amulet x1
Veteran's Belt x1
Vinewhip Staff x1
Mage Wand x1

Attack Spells

Lightening Bold x1
Electrify x1 (for zone attack)

Incantations

Burst of Thorns x1
Dispel X3
Force Push x1
Force Wave x1
Minor Heal x1
Seeking Dispel x1
Rouse the Beast x2 (thought it would be fun to immediately activate by QCing after Vinetree's newly summoned creatures)
Bloodspine wall x2
Corrosive Orchid x1
Etherian Lifetree x1
Mana Flower x 1
Stranglevine x 2
Tanglevine x4
Vine Tree x 1
Battle Forge x1 (this is the one I'm undecided on. I have a lot of equipment in this list, but 6 points is a hefty cost to have it added to my book)

Enchantments

Barkskin x1
Bear Strength x2
Hawkeye x1
Harmonize x2
Nullify x2
Rhino Hide x2
Rust x2
Bull Endurnace x1
Arcane Ward x4 (initially I had Reverse Magic, but I think 4 AW's go a lot further than 1 RM).
Blur or Astral Anchor- undecided on the last 2 spell points.

Creatures

Tataree x1 logic is obvious here- keep tied to Vinetree to crank out mana
Thornslasher x2
Vine Snapper x2
Kralathor x1
Togorah x1 so this one I'm undecided on. I like that this guy has intercept and vigilant. With Etherian Lifetree boost and a few enchantments, this guy is going to be difficult to take down. My strategy for him is pure defense while my mage makes ranged attacks with a spellbound Lightening bolt (buffed) and melee attacks with a buffed vinewhip staff.

If I get into trouble I can bind minor heal to mage wand, or if I want to be thematic and have fun, thought of binding Burst of Thorns. Of course, the purpose of the AWs is to protect the equipement.

Ok, let's have a good, honest critique. Again, keep in mind, I'll be going against a textbook warlord (my buddy is also a newbie and isn't all that interested in building his own book just yet).

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: First time Druid- wanting feedback!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
lightning spells are in my pov not the best, take acid balls and a surging wave, maybe even a boulder and a rock
I would take meditation amulet and the vinewhip staff
drop the lightning ring, and drop gauntlets if you drop the staff

why force wave?

and astral anchor with the stranglevine is defenitly nice, also 4 wards migth be an overkill

BF are 6 points not sure if you really have the mana for all

no dissolve? no crumble, no acid ball? only 1 orchid?

I'm not a huge tagorath fan, maybe a grizzly or raptor vine instead?

also the butterfly might not be perfect, a mana flower can achieve the same mana gain, is more durable and gets leaf ring discount.

who gets the bulls endurance?
2x harmonize? what for?

if you go vine (strangle and tanglevine) heavy you might want 1-2 agony and tangleroots.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »
lightning spells are in my pov not the best, take acid balls and a surging wave, maybe even a boulder and a rock
I would take meditation amulet and the vinewhip staff
drop the lightning ring, and drop gauntlets if you drop the staff

why force wave?

and astral anchor with the stranglevine is defenitly nice, also 4 wards migth be an overkill

BF are 6 points not sure if you really have the mana for all

no dissolve? no crumble, no acid ball? only 1 orchid?

I'm not a huge tagorath fan, maybe a grizzly or raptor vine instead?

also the butterfly might not be perfect, a mana flower can achieve the same mana gain, is more durable and gets leaf ring discount.

who gets the bulls endurance?
2x harmonize? what for?

if you go vine (strangle and tanglevine) heavy you might want 1-2 agony and tangleroots.

I was thinking forcewave to push a potential swarm through bloodspine. Not a good idea?

Good call on Arcane Ward and Battleforge- appreciate the confirmation.

I do have one dissolve- I got sidetracked and forgot to include it.

Grizzly is looking like a good option. That's a good call.

The one reason why I was hesitant on mana flower was this opponent goes straight after any mana channels. So, was thinking he may not be so aggressive against the butterfly if it was difficult to get to by staying in the corner with Vinetree.

bull endurance: 1 on mage and 1 on tank (in this case Tagorath or possibly grizzly)

harmonize- 1 on mage and 1 on Battleforge. Bad idea?

good call on the agony and tangleroots- didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks for the feedback!
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »
harmonize on mage ok, but bf is already a good target for water spells to be killed fast with a harmonize even more so

bull endurance on mage is a waste in my pov

mana flower, tree, 2 harmonize, bf, butterfly, discount ring is quite a lot. id drop the bf and a harmonize for another flower even drop butterfly, its a rather slow setup else

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »
Hey Ravepig!

If they are going after your flowers in the early game, punish them for it! They are usually out of position with that tactic and you can do some serious damage to their creatures or even the mage! It's important to know when to stop ramping up economy and when to hit them hard.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »
Thank you both for the feedback!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:30 AM »
Don't let them tell you togorah is a bad option! He ROCKS!  8) (big attack, intercept, vigilant enemy cannot push him and NOT slow even though many people think he is. )

Youll get a discount with a ring if you summon him and 1 daring but awesome play is casting a seedling pod during the first rounds at your base and just let it channel. Afterwards you start pressuring the opponent with her awesome board control. The opponent will either have to do big efforts to kill a stupid pod or youll be able to summon a cheap togorah.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
Not bad at all for a first Druid Spellbook!

Id change the Harmonizes and Meditation Amulet for 2-3 extra Mana Flowers.

Its less spellbook points and it frees up your full action. With Vinewhip Staff, Gauntless of Strenght, Armor and Veterans Belt it seems to me you should look for a fight - not stand back and meditate.

Also I think I prefer Raincloud over Dragonscale Hauberk - I never used Raincloud myself, but your plants has a weakness to fire. I know the regeneration 1 can almost only benefit your opponent.

I´ve seen a fair amount of games where Vine Snappers/Thornlashers just stand in their zone and do nothing. Teleport(s) might be good or more creatures so you could occupy both middle zones. Even a shift enchantment might be nice - but I rarely uses it myself even if I have it in my books.

Grizzly is a really good choice as well  :)

Vs. a Warlord I think Kralathor could be very useful if he runs smaller creatures - he might need a bit more support. Hand of Bim-Shalla, buffs and maybe some more healing.

"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »
A lot of good advice- I think I'm going to try Togorah. Since it's my first game, he just looks too bad a$$ to not try him out- and if he doesn't work well, then I know for next time!

I did think about using one or two pods to get the Life Tree/Togorah out. I may add at least one to see how it works out.

Thank you all!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
A lot of good advice- I think I'm going to try Togorah. Since it's my first game, he just looks too bad a$$ to not try him out- and if he doesn't work well, then I know for next time!

One final tip for Togorah: prepare a rhino hide for him. Rust + a few attack might kill it. Apart from that he is extremely durable.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »

One final tip for Togorah: prepare a rhino hide for him. Rust + a few attack might kill it. Apart from that he is extremely durable.

It's still tough to justify Togorah over [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard] consider the sequoian can't counterstrike (due to not having a quick attack).

I've never tried a Battle Forge Druid.  I usually only pack 2 or 3 equipment for her (including Meditation Amulet).  Usually Barkskin and Rhino Hide is all the armor she needs.  But I don't usually intend to engage in melee combat with her, either, so ymmv.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
If you're in a zone with Togorah, is the only thing that will hit you elusive creatures? If so, isn't there a perfect combination with a current Holy promo card that will make getting hit impossible?

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »
Same as any guard.  Vigilant just means he gets a guard at the end of his action.  It does Not mean that he is always guarding.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »
It's still tough to justify Togorah over [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard] consider the sequoian can't counterstrike (due to not having a quick attack).

Advantages by looking at the stats:

[mwcard=DNC18]Togorah, Forest Sentinel[/mwcard] & [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard]. Both of them are very durable and can both intercept.

mana cost:
21-1 = 20
--> 8 mana

Flying > reach (but very small advantage)
rooted, uproot +2 >>> nothing: You might think that this is a disadvantage, but once togorah is out, you are probably nearing the end of the game and mana is a much smaller issue. During the time is is rooted the opponent cannot push your guard which is a huge advantage! (and undervalued)

DEFENCE
regen 2 > regen when guarding
fire +2, hydro immunity < aegis 1 (although hydro immunity might get better in november  ::) )
2 armor > 1 armor
18 life >> 12 life
nothing  < 8+ defence
I guess you could discuss who the winner is, but let's just agree that they are both VERY durable in with their unique weaknesses. (I'm calling this a draw)

ATTACK:
6 dice, 7+ daze, 11+stun >>>> 3 dice. Even though his attack is a full cast, this is way better. You have to remember that the opponent is constantly hindered by the vines, so he will not move much. You can attack a lot with his attack. yes, the angel can guard AND counterstrike but the tree can attack, the target you prefer, and guard with his vigilant ability. Another thing he can do is move 2 zones and guard! Every other creature that does this has to be fast.

I only summon [mwcard=DNC18]Togorah, Forest Sentinel[/mwcard] when
a) being pressured hard and pushed in a corner.
b) get a very cheap one with a seedling pod (12-15 mana) --> no mana disadvantage compared to the angel

(a) makes sure togorah can actually attack hard AND guard with intercept afterwards. I have had multiple games where he made the difference between getting pushed in the corner and being the one leading the assault. I have had great succes with the tree in this regard!

Last but not least: I prefer my books to be thematical. I like it a lot more to cast a tree when playing a druid than an angel which is completely odd in her book.

edit: One of the reasons the ent is good for the druid is because the attacker is probably the opponent and he will be hindered by the vines (not running away from you). Even beastmasters, for which the ent is in-school, don't have much use of togorah.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:36:02 PM by Halewijn »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 03:02:11 PM »
I've used the Angel to fly over walls and finish off an opposing mage.  Can't do that with Togorah.

The +8 mana cost is HUGE!  I rarely/never have 20+ mana to spend in the late game, especially when "being pressured hard and pushed in a corner."  And while you might have a Seedling Pod in the right corner with enough mana on it to provide a significant discount, keep in mind that's a potentially wasted early action and costs 3 mana at that time (OK, 2 if you had a discount)... so unless you get lucky with the location and actually need Togorah in that spot in round #12 or something, it could equally be a waste of an action and mana.

Also, [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]Defend[/mwcard] is cheaper on Guardian Angel than Togorah - although it doesn't trigger the Angel's ability (because it doesn't count as her action).

Maybe I could see an argument that Togorah is better in a [mwcard=DNJ09]Samara Tree[/mwcard] build... but in a Vine Tree book, I'd still take the Guardian Angel.