May 20, 2024, 05:33:36 PM

Author Topic: Two Handed Melee Weapons.  (Read 9546 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Two Handed Melee Weapons.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »
I like the thinking Zuberi, though I wonder if you added back in the value of a single Quickcast vs. two Quickcasts and how nice it would be off of a Battleforge.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »
I like the thinking Zuberi, though I wonder if you added back in the value of a single Quickcast vs. two Quickcasts and how nice it would be off of a Battleforge.

I did not, and that may be worth considering, but I don't think taking up the second slot is so much saving you a quickcast as it is preventing an additional quickcast. The only two-hander that currently exists is definitely not equivalent to having two separate items and thus is not saving you having to spend a separate quickcast. It's merely blocking it. Based on that, future items with the same kind of design should consider it a tax and have a reduced mana cost as a result. Even if the weapon gave more of a benefit, you are always going to be giving up the versatility of being able to choose a separate off hand item. Perhaps there could be some designed that are more of an action savings, but I'm having trouble thinking of one that wouldn't simply be a tax.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »

I did not, and that may be worth considering, but I don't think taking up the second slot is so much saving you a quickcast as it is preventing an additional quickcast. The only two-hander that currently exists is definitely not equivalent to having two separate items and thus is not saving you having to spend a separate quickcast. It's merely blocking it. Based on that, future items with the same kind of design should consider it a tax and have a reduced mana cost as a result. Even if the weapon gave more of a benefit, you are always going to be giving up the versatility of being able to choose a separate off hand item. Perhaps there could be some designed that are more of an action savings, but I'm having trouble thinking of one that wouldn't simply be a tax.

I think that has more to do with the design of existing 2-slot items (War Sledge, the bows, Packleader's Cowl) more than the value of the opportunity cost of the second slot. For instance, Packleader's Cowl could be valued based on Cloak slot alone since the Beastmaster doesn't really have another use for his helmet anyway. That, and it provides 2 purposes: a Defend-like spell (that doesn't cost an action!) and +1 Armor. Meanwhile, the Sledge would be a bad weapon even if it only took up one slot. And the bows are questionable - on the one hand, you don't really need an Elemental Wand if you can perform free ranged attacks with your weapon, but the fact they're full actions (e.g. can't move and shoot) nor equip a Wand of Healing or Mage Wand (of Teleport or Force Push to make up for the fact you can't move and shoot) makes the opportunity cost seem higher.

However, if there were a Staff that was a simple 4-dice weapon AND had a built-in wand (perhaps  spellbind a level 1 attack spell that couldn't be swapped), that shouldn't have a mana discount because it's saving you an action of having to cast 2 Equipment to fulfill the 2 roles this 1 spell fills; in fact, I imagine it might cost a little extra to account for the saved action, even if it isn't quite as strong/flexible as Elemental Wand + Mage Staff.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:25:34 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »
Your thoughts make me think of [mwcard=FWQ09]Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard]. Not only are you already able to equip Sectarus with a single action, but you are also able to get both an attack and a spell cast with a single action whenever you use it. This is even more powerful than a weapon/wand hybrid like you suggest, yet I still think changing it to be two-handed would be a penalty to the item rather than a benefit and worthy of a 2 to 3 mana discount. I definitely do not think making it two-handed would warrant making it more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:33:53 AM by Zuberi »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 03:46:50 AM »
I think something that people might not be considering is the fact that any ability you can think of would already be factored into the mana cost of the item. Like with Sectarus, it's weapon stats (4 dice with Piercing +1) taken alone are probably only worth 4 or 5 mana, considering Vorpal Blade is 5 mana for 4 dice with Piercing +2. The other half of it's cost is for the ability to cast spells. This is going to be true of any item we can imagine. Whatever abilities it has, it will have to pay for those abilities in it's mana cost.

Then, on top of that, we are going to add the extra draw back of preventing the mage from using one of their other item slots. I can't see any way in which this is not a penalty and not worthy of a discount.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 07:30:05 AM »
I think Sectarus would have been a great candidate for a 2-handed weapon, since it fulfills 2 roles in a rather unique way for one action/equipment spell. Let's pretend it was 2-handed for a moment. Then if we were to split it up into a one-handed weapon and a familiar "wand" (shield slot) that said "when you hit with a Melee attack from a weapon, you may cast a curse on the defender," then the sum of mana for those 2 equipment spells should be less than the 2-handed Sectarus since Sectarus does exactly the same thing while saving you an action.

Alas, Sectarus is one-handed, so you're right: making it 2-handed (drawback = opportunity cost of lost equipment slot) should come at a mana reduction compared to the 1-handed version that is otherwise identical. But that's different than saying a 2-handed weapon that does the work of 2 other pieces of equipment should cost less than the sum of the mana costs of those 2 pieces of equipment.

In other words, if there was a 2-handed weapon that was literally Vorpal Sword + Mage Wand in one piece of equipment, it should cost more than 10, not less than 10, because it is functionally equivalent but saves you an action compared to casting those 2 equipments separately.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:06:59 AM by iNano78 »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I feel a "dual wielding" barbarian would be better than two-handed weapons designed for the barbarian (which may or may not be available for use by other mages) that happen to synergize with his abilities (whatever they are).  For instance, he might have a mage ability that reads:

- You may treat your (shield) equipment slot as a second (weapon) equipment slot; and
- As a full action, you may make (quick-action?) melee attacks with each of two equipped weapons.

Or, better yet, how about a Barbarian ability that allows dual-weilding but is also compatible with two-handed melee weapons (assuming they look a bit like War Sledge, as you'll see below):

- You may treat your (shield) equipment slot as a second (weapon) equipment slot; and
- You may use your Quick-cast to make a quick-action melee attack. You cannot perform an attack with the same name during your main action in the same round.
(needs better wording; may or may not cost 1 mana, as it's similar to Arcane Zap)

The latter turns either the Barbarian's basic attack (on his mage card) OR a melee attack on a second weapon into something similar to the Wizard's Arcane Zap (except isn't ranged/ethereal; may or may not also cost 1 mana to do this). Or it allows 2 attacks with a single (two-handed?) weapon that has 2 different attacks on it (e.g. a quick-action attack and a full-action attack, like the [mwcard=FWQ11]War Sledge[/mwcard]'s "Quick Swing" and "Power Swing").  It also means, like the Wizard, he can use his activation to perform a full action, and still make a quick-action attack with his quick-cast.  And it might encourage players to actually read the names of attacks on weapons and creatures.  :D

Here's the exhaustive list of existing weapons with more than 1 attack:
- [mwcard=FWQ04]Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard] (not available to Barbarian since "Forcemaster only"
- [mwcard=FWQ11]War Sledge[/mwcard] (suggested ability might actually make this playable... but sadly it's "Warlord only" and not "War Mage only" like [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]; may I suggest errata to make it "War Mage only" = Barbarian-compatible?)
- [mwcard=MW1Q31]Staff of the Arcanum[/mwcard] (odd choice thematically, but could "quick-cast" the quick attack plus make the full-action ranged attack in the same round, obviously at different targets)
- Heart of Gravikor (promo) (similar to Staff of the Arcanum, but more on-theme/school, and both attacks can target range 0)

So another two-handed weapon with both quick-action and full action attacks, plus maybe a few more efficient one-handed weapons (like [mwcard=MW1Q18]Mage Staff[/mwcard], [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]Morning Star[/mwcard] and Vorpal Sword), would be nice to see to give a couple options that enable such an ability.

*10th edit?*
In other words, the reason I think Sectarus would make a good two-handed weapon example (see post above) is because it gives you a "2-for-1" in that you get something that would normally cost you a quick-cast when you use your main action for an attack.  Unfortunately for the War Sledge, there is (currently) no way to use both its quick attack and full attack in the same round, so the fact it has both attack options doesn't make it as good as, say, having both a one-handed weapon and a wand (or Horn of Gothos or whatever) that can both be used in the same round.  The Sweeping trait wants to do this, but it's too conditional (e.g. needs 2 targets in the same zone, and you can't move + use the Sweeping attack).  Allowing the Barbarian to make both the quick AND full Sweeping attack in the same round would give that "2-for-1" that the War Sledge is otherwise missing, justifying it taking up both equipment slots (imho).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:31:40 PM by iNano78 »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
You make a decent point iNano78. I have been looking at this basically just from one side. In light of your argument, let me rephrase my opinion in two parts.

First, a two-handed weapon should be cheaper than an identical one handed weapon. This is basically determining the value of the item slot itself, which I still maintain as somewhere between 2 or 3 mana.

Second, a two-handed weapon should be more expensive than two separate items which would grant the same abilities when combined. This is more determining the value of saving a quickcast than it is the value of the item slot, and I'm less opinionated as to what that should be.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
I don't know that I've ever equipped both a wand and a melee weapon. Maybe Wand of Healing on Warlord, but it's pretty rare. It seems more like an inconvenience than a significant drawback. I'd rate two handedness as a one mana discount for most melee weapons.

Bows, on the other hand, would often benefit from either a Mage Wand of Teleport or a backup melee weapon, so I feel like 2 or even 3 mana is more correct there. It seems context sensitive.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »
I don't know that I've ever equipped both a wand and a melee weapon. Maybe Wand of Healing on Warlord, but it's pretty rare. It seems more like an inconvenience than a significant drawback. I'd rate two handedness as a one mana discount for most melee weapons.

Bows, on the other hand, would often benefit from either a Mage Wand of Teleport or a backup melee weapon, so I feel like 2 or even 3 mana is more correct there. It seems context sensitive.

With most mages, I almost always equip both a wand and melee weapon - or at least intend to.  With Forcemaster, it's generally a Mage Wand (of whatever my Thoughtspore(s) isn't using).  With Priest(ess), it is either Mage Wand or Wand of Healing.  With Warlock (either) it's usually Elemental Wand (with Lash or Sectarus).  With (either) Warlord, it's usually Elemental Wand - because Mage Wand pays triple - but I've also tried [mwcard=FWQ06]Horn of Gothos[/mwcard] (with no successes thus far).  Even my Beatmasters pack Mage Wands for when needed (e.g. for Rouse the Beast or Call of the Wild).  My Necromancer doesn't use a weapon, but he goes with Libro Mortuous and a Mage Wand (usually of Teleport, Force Push or Zombie Frenzy).  The only mages that don't care about the second hand slot are ones that don't use weapons, like Druid (who uses a Mage Wand for Burst of Thorns or Defend) or Adramalech Warlock (if "kiting").  My Wizard generally has either one or two Wands equipped, so while not a weapon, he does sometimes have both hands full.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:57:56 PM by iNano78 »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
That's interesting. I'll usually only play a melee weapon if I'm intending to spend significant Full Actions attacking, which means I'm playing aggressively. When I'm agro, I often find that I can't spare the tempo to cast a Wand when I could instead just cast the spell I'm going to attach: e.g. I play 4 Fireball in my spellbook instead of casting Elemental Wand of Fireball.

With Battle Forge the tempo question is a bit more forgiving in the late game because I'll run out of equipment, but at that point I'll (hopefully) be low on mana, and won't want to spend on a wand anyway.

Of course, part of that is that I like to play Wizard, and Wizard's Tower costs no tempo because you can activate it immediately after casting it.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.