April 28, 2024, 09:49:07 PM

Author Topic: Beast Master Tips  (Read 10700 times)

Mobius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Beast Master Tips
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
It's also important to note that not many of the flying creatures in Mage Wars are flying AND have a ranged attack.  If a flying creature uses a melee attack, they are "grounded" for the remainder of that round.  Whenever I play my Beast Master, I take full advantage of this - willing to sacrifice the loss of a few of my weaker creatures at the expense of taking out the opponent's flying creatures should they attack.

Obviously, this doesn't solve the issue with Ruginn, The Raven Familiar (think that's his name, don't have the card in front of me), but it does help battle quite a few of the more ornery creatures like the Priestess's angels.

That being said, it obviously is worth while to make room for Maim Wings, Geyser, Jet Stream, Knockdown, Tanglevine, etc.  Sometimes I've even put a banish in my deck to make sure to just get rid of a troublesome flying creature so I can focus down my opponent's mage.

cchilds

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
I was putting knockdown in the Mage Wand, but Geyser in the Elemental Wand sounds like a much better solution.

Mobius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19:58 PM »
Just be sure to always have a Plan B, or Plan C!  A wise player will EXPECT you to counter in such ways as mentioned above; expect Seeking Dispels, Dispels, Sleep, Dissolve, and any other collection of defensively offensive spells as a means to ensure their flying army stay dominant in the arena.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
I learned that the Lash of Hellfire has the Reach trait the hard way.......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
Quote from: "Mobius" post=7215
It's also important to note that not many of the flying creatures in Mage Wars are flying AND have a ranged attack.  If a flying creature uses a melee attack, they are "grounded" for the remainder of that round.  Whenever I play my Beast Master, I take full advantage of this - willing to sacrifice the loss of a few of my weaker creatures at the expense of taking out the opponent's flying creatures should they attack.

This is not accurate.  Flying creatures lose the flying trait until the end of the attack, not the end of the round.  Re-read the flying rules on page 19.