April 29, 2024, 10:49:02 AM

Author Topic: Familiar Clarification  (Read 7428 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Familiar Clarification
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
i apologise if this question has already been answered i have tried my best to solve it myself.

my question is how does a player use the "Familiar" power on cards such as [Huginn, Raven familiar] and [Fellella, Picie Familiar]. i am confused as to how they get there respective spells to use. i think it is used in one of these 2 ways, correct me if i am way off

1)Do i select an additional card from my mage book during the planning stage (like a spawn point) and place it on the familiar to use.
2)or is the familiar only able to use a spells that has already been selected as one of your 2 selected mage spells in the planing phase.

the second option is the mode i have been using for my games of mage wars although i have only been playing with family and friends. i find this makes the familiar a substitute caster for the mage, by taking a turn for your mage if he/she wants to do another action and additionally cast a spell from a far location.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Familiar Clarification
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:25:59 AM »
Rulebook v2 page: 7 - 8
Phase 5: Planning
Each Mage prepares for the round by choosing up to 2 spells from his spellbook. Both players simultaneously choose their spells. Place your chosen spells face down in front of you. Keep your chosen spells secret from your opponent, so that he doesn’t know what you are planning!

The spells you prepare are the only spells you will be able to cast during this game round. You do not have to cast the spells you choose.

Some creatures (called “Familiars”) and objects (like “Spawnpoints”) have the ability to cast spells. You may choose one spell for each of these objects at this time. Place these spells face down next to the creature or object. Spells which are not cast during the round are returned to your spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
i can't believe i missed that, thanks for the quick responce. follow up question about that answer, do i have to use the spell during the turn or can i choose to leave it face down during the round and return it at the end
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »
Rulebook v2 page: 8
Phase 6: Deployment
Starting with the player who has the initiative, you may cast the spells you assigned to your Spawnpoints (see “Spawnpoints” on page 16). Reveal the spell you have chosen, pay the mana required, and resolve the spell. If you choose not to cast the spell (or if you cannot), it is returned to your spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase.

Playing Hint: Most of the time, you will find that both players can have their Spawnpoints cast spells simultaneously.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
Forgive me for still being confused on this topic:

"Some creatures (called “Familiars”) and objects (like “Spawnpoints”) have the ability to cast spells. You may choose one spell for each of these objects at this time. Place these spells face down next to the creature or object. Spells which are not cast during the round are returned to your spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase. "

You may choose one spell from the two selected from your spellbook? Or choose an additional spell?

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »
You get to choose an additional spell for the familiar.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »
Just to be clear, in your planning phase, you choose 2 spells for yourself, and one for each spawn point and familiar you wish to cast spells that turn. The spawn point casts it's spell in the deploy step, and the familiars cast theirs as part of their action. Unless it happens to be Sectarus, in which case that has it's own casting time :)

Esto

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »
Am I correct in saying that the Thoughtspore who has both the Familiar & Spellbind trait can choose an additional spell for the Familiar in the Planning Phase in addition to the one spell that is bound to this creature?

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
Yes. But you can't cast it.

Esto

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »
Why can't the Familiar cast this additional spell? Is it because the Thoughtspore is restricted to binding only a single non-Epic Level 1-2 attack or incantation spell which can only be selected when Thoughtspore 1st enters play? In other words, does Thoughtspore's "Spellbind" trait negate his "Familiar" trait which allows him to select & cast a new spell each turn?

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
the rules state that rules printed on a card trumps any conflicting rule in the rule book so spellbind > familiar. aditionally my guess is they wanted to keep the word "Familiar" as a trait on thought spore because there will soon be cards that effect or are effected by Familiar's

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »
Enjoy your first sticker