April 26, 2024, 06:04:55 PM

Author Topic: Official proxy cards  (Read 9728 times)

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Official proxy cards
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure even after buying the spell tome expansion there will be a shortage of some cards. What if both players want to have 6-6 of the same 1st level spell in their spellbooks?

It would be a good idea if you'd produce a deck of cards (at least twenty but maybe up to 60) with the same back as the others but with a surface where you can write on with a special wipable pen.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Official proxy cards
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
interesting idea. although even if they dont, unofficial proxies wouldnt hurt the game too bad as there is no shuffling so the cibsustancy doesnt matter as much.  except maybe for enchantments
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
It matters because the other player will see that you've selected a proxy card (I don't sleeve cards, so colored-back sleeves is not an option for me) and even that might give them clues.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
ahhh i see your problem.  i usually use clear sleeves so i would put a normal card in with a printed copy of the proxy slid into the sleeve.  hmmm.  well it would be interesting if they did make dry erase cards to make up proxies or even for custom events and such.  lots of flexability if they offered this

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
Eh, official proxies I think would hurt the business model more so than anything. If they have certain cards to download online for playing then people wouldn't really buy some of the sets. With that said, unofficial proxies that you make would work out well to be playing with your friends.

I'd really recommend that if you play with proxies use sleeves. Its cleaner and allows you to do anything you want without showing off anything. Another thing you can do is that both players could re-use a certain level 1 card 3 times or something, and having a counter of some sort to determine how many times its been played. Sure it gives them an idea of how many times you've done it, but you wouldn't need a proxy.

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »
Actually, using official blank cards is not unheard of. The first Race for the Galaxy expansion includes 2 for each type of cards and Once upon a Time as well (they even sell an extra pack of blank cards).

I don't think it would really impair sales unless they come out with other Spell Tome like packs with more pieces of the most used cards (6-4 each) as most people would pay for better looking ones (but not buy 3 pieces of an expansion). But this is for Arcane Wonders to decide, they probably made a lot of market research.

1unatic

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I personally have no problems with the idea of our players using proxies. First and foremost, I believe this is a game of the players, by the players, and for the players. We are here to support the community and improve player experience, and therefore anyone that desires to use proxies has our blessing. Proxy cards are used to augment and enhance player experience, and I absolutely do not see this as a threat to the business model. Proxies are more harmful to TCGs that force players to spend copious amounts of money in order to collect “rare” cards, which are often also the most powerful. Our game doesn’t suffer from this problem because we are customizable, not collectible. As far as official blank proxies go, we are currently considering this as a potential addition to future sets. For the time being, I suggest you make hand-made proxies for what you need and to sleeve the cards so that your opponent cannot discern their true nature.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »
One thing we did during testing Was just make a check sheet with the number of copies listed for each card and as we played we just marked it off.  Once we got our 2nd kit of cards We often had 3-6 spell books ready to go at any given time. To tell you the truth 90% off our build never used over 4 copies of any given card.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Ayumi

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 07:25:26 AM »
Quote from: "stadi" post=111
It matters because the other player will see that you've selected a proxy card (I don't sleeve cards, so colored-back sleeves is not an option for me) and even that might give them clues.

I always want official proxy cards.  Spills and tears happen over the course of time.
And with two players sharing the deck to build spellbooks, even tho'  it's a big, big deck, we definitely need a number of official proxy cards, and 10 is a nice, round number.

Can't wait to get my copy of the game!.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
I personaly  love card alters and have used proxies for playtesting purposes but I think is fair to say that proxies should not be allowed is sanctioned events. The community should be encouraged to be creative but allowing people to play with proxies in sanctioned events could possibly cause a loss of revenue.  We are currently in talks about what the official policy will be.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Ayumi

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Agree 100% that proxy cards should not be included in any sanctioned events, and everyone will understand if you decide not to market them for that reason.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
also 100% agree

Kring

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »
Agree. No proxy cards at sanctioned events.