April 29, 2024, 09:16:03 PM

Author Topic: Multi-Classing Ideas  (Read 3016 times)

Hey_Daralon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Multi-Classing Ideas
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
What's your opinion on multi-classing in Mage Wars? Do think it's a good idea? I haven't tried it out myself, but I was thinking about what rules can allow a mage to gain better access to certain types of spells without using up too many spellpoints. What I was thinking was that a mage can use spells of a certain trait, say "Command", by paying one less spellpoint to a minimum of one. So, a Priestess can take the Warlord class to get a few Level 1 Command spells if she wanted and each one would just be one spellpoint. Whereas if the Warlord did it, he could get a bit of mileage out of it, but since a lot of his Commands are level one anyway, it would make better sense to try something else. In other words, encourage multi-classing, but not make it too broken.
Some ideas I have
Priestess: "Healing" spells are 1SP less.
Warlock: "Curse" spells are 1SP less
Wizard: Non-equipment "Mana" spells are 1SP less
Beastmaster: Nature (school) Enchantments are 1SP less
Forcemaster: "Force" Incantations are 1SP less
Warlord: Non-equipment "Command" spells are 1SP less

I would imagine the Priestess would be very popular, 1SP for Minor Heal (2 for the Warlock) is pretty good.
I'm worried about the Beastmaster's ability, yeah most Nature enchantments are Lv1 anyway, but I really don't think 1SP less for Animals is any better, since even though it would be balanced for everyone else, it would make the BM stronger if he specialized in it and that's not what I was going for.

This idea just came to me because I was worried about the mages being too defined by their element or school, rather than by the actual spells they use. For instance, what would make the Necromancer so different from the Warlock if they both use Dark-type spells equally well? Anyway, it's just an idea.

darkdaysdawn

Re: Multi-Classing Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
I don't think you really need *more* spells in a book.  But I understand wanting better access to non-school spells.  However, I think the current book building rules work very well and require you seriously contemplate your strategy and the necessity of each spell in your book.  That said, how about this....

Let each mage choose a *discount ring* that is available to them according to the normal book building rules -- i.e. the Wizard can't choose something that is Warlock or Dark Mage -only.  Let's say, for example, the Wizard chooses an Arcane Ring which lowers the *casting* cost of Mana and Metamagic spells.  Now, to achieve your spell-point boost, let the Wizard use that discount when building his spell book, i.e. lower the point cost of Mana and Metamagic spells by 1, to a minimum of 1.  This encourages the Wizard to stay in-school and in-discount-type, but also lets them spend the discounted points which could be put towards out-of-school spells.

I'm not sure it's a great idea, but I think the discount ring method would at least maintain the spirit of the game.