April 24, 2024, 11:28:39 PM

Author Topic: Feasibility of a curse focused deck  (Read 7287 times)

Striker

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Feasibility of a curse focused deck
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
I have only played 2 whole games so far so am working with more theory and ideas than experience so far so I'd like to get some oinions. I was thinking about doing a warlock deck with a lot of ghoul rot, the slow curse, finite life curse, the curse that does 1 point of damage per move. Also many decoys for before the curses are revealed. Also the incantation that lets me move enchants around.

I was thinking these things along with walls and force push could be pretty effective in basically pinning my opponent 2+ squares away from me taking damage each upkeep and every time he moves along with slowing him down substantially.

So my question is has anyone tried this before and if so what flaws and issues have you run into?

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Feasibility of a curse focused deck
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:49:34 AM »
I do not have my game yet. But I can see this deck would be working.
And flaws:
- with focus on cursing your oponent, you will not have many options to deal with creature swarm, because you will have many single-target spells.
- disspels and heals etc. could slow your deck very much - even to the point, where it is near to useless.
- your deck is not very fast - and if your oponent has very offensive deck, you could not be able to kill him before he kills you.

My suggestions:
- some area of effect spells could help you with swarm.
- since you will not have many creatures - this obelisk-cojuration giving upkeep +1 to all non-mages would be handy.
- use Decoy - maybe your oponent will waste some dissenchants.
- look at Arcane school - there are some good controll spells (mana drains, counterspells etc.) - when your oponent is rotting, you do not have to do much - just keep him away from doing anything useful.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
Quote from: "Striker" post=872
I have only played 2 whole games so far so am working with more theory and ideas than experience so far so I'd like to get some oinions. I was thinking about doing a warlock deck with a lot of ghoul rot, the slow curse, finite life curse, the curse that does 1 point of damage per move. Also many decoys for before the curses are revealed. Also the incantation that lets me move enchants around.

I was thinking these things along with walls and force push could be pretty effective in basically pinning my opponent 2+ squares away from me taking damage each upkeep and every time he moves along with slowing him down substantially.

So my question is has anyone tried this before and if so what flaws and issues have you run into?

Klaxas and I talked about a similar tactic that uses Idol of Pestilence, Poison Gas Cloud, Chains of Agony, Tangle Vine, Force Hold, Wall of stone, Ghoul Rot, and Teleport you lock the creatures in place and keep the Damage over Time eating away at creatures. To slow down your Damage use unicorn, Regrowth Belt, Tree of life. I also added Malcoda and Skeleton Solider into my build.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Nikoli Ranvier

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
It could work for sure and would be difficult for an enemy to counter. Curses will be cheaper to deploy on average than creatures and will force the opponent to redirect his mana to dispel them. Of course things to take into consideration are the stacking of enchantments is not allowed (same name on same creature) and that only 6 copies of a spell are allowed in a spell book. This information can be used to really pinpoint what you want. This means at most they can only dispel (and use an action to do it tehe) 6 curses before they are permanent. Also a creature rush is easiest dealt with with walls and force pushes or take the high road and use sleep and banishment. Lastly if it is something you want to play, then do it and see what works. I found it to be fun and 50/50 effective on my opponents from my playtest group who favor melee combat and equipment. Have fun.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
i have not done a pure warlock curse deck but i have been thinking on it.   i would definately consider adding the anti creature cards like mordoks oblesk and supression orb.maybe throw them down and protect them with some walls while you run around cursing opponents.  make sure you take down any fliers with maim wings to help your walls protect your oblesk.

@shadow.  yeah after playing you at gen con dan is rather obsessed with that deck of yours lol.  its quite annoying to play against, although teleport deals with the tanglevines.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:01:01 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=937
i have not done a pure warlock curse deck but i have been thinking on it.   i would definately consider adding the anti creature cards like mordoks oblesk and supression orb.maybe throw them down and protect them with some walls while you run around cursing opponents.  make sure you take down any fliers with maim wings to help your walls protect your oblesk.

@shadow.  yeah after playing you at gen con dan is rather obsessed with that deck of yours lol.  its quite annoying to play against, although teleport deals with the tanglevines.

That is why my build had 6 jinx, 6 nullify, and 4 reverse magic.  :whistle:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »
lol yeah i remember.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.