April 24, 2024, 03:19:11 PM

Author Topic: Quality of some artwork in the expansion poor  (Read 3879 times)

BlueByLiquid

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Quality of some artwork in the expansion poor
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
First I would like to say that I love love LOVE the Mage Wars artwork and especially some of the new artwork in the expansion. But on some of the new cards the artist appears to be dialing it in.

Examples:
Dwarf Kriegsbiel: Really? I see the artist wanted him to look like he is charging and swinging hard but he appears to be laying on a couch holding his axe out to turn off the lightswitch on the wall behind him.  Very unnatural looking.
Helm of Command: The proportions look very strange and nothing like the helm worn by the warlock in his photo. The bottom section looks so wide and streched like the artist just forgot how to draw perspective.
Akiro's Hammer: Looks good but it appears the card was never finished as all the textures are blurry as can be.
Goblin grunt: He appears to be at the gym in step class and pointing at someone who just came in the room.
Orc Butcher: The striking arm appears to have been moved in photoshop after it was drawn because it doesn't match the pose of the rest of the body. The face looks really silly too.
Sir Coraxin, Blademaster: WOW!! It looks like a combination of Chuck Noris and Tinker Bell from peter pan. He appears to be using his fingers to hold the blade in his left hand. Also he has the muscle definition of a 12 year old in his right arm despite his left arm showing a decent amount.

This is such a shame that these card were clearly done have @$$ because they really distract from what otherwise is an amazing add on. For example mind control, Mass Sleep, Goblin Bomber, Goblin Builder, Goblin Slinger, Mind Shield and Sniper Shot are some of the best looking cards in the entire game. :woohoo:  While I have come to expect great artwork and I understand every card can't be a knockout I really wish you would make sure your artists aren't throwing out some extremely poor cards just to save time. :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of some artwork in the expansion poor
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:23:57 AM »
I think this is a personal opinion thing, because some of the artwork you've mentioned as being some of the best I consider to be some of the worst, and vice cersa  :)  You can't please all the people all the time I guess....

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of some artwork in the expansion poor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
I dont know...I have seen some Napoleon Dynamite-esk looking art in some published games here of late....Not to be negative but has anyone seen the "cultist" from ascension? Google it...
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.