April 25, 2024, 01:41:47 AM

Author Topic: Druid Speculation  (Read 43717 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Speculation
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 06:30:10 AM »
How about Druid gets Nature plus CHOICE of one element?

High channel / low health.

Buff plants. ARE there any actual 'plants'?

Possibly shape shift for extra melee dice but quickspells only whilst shapeshifted (no full turn spells). Ok that's bit wacko.

And regards the 'W', we could go

Woad vs Necromancer

or

Dwuid vs Necromancer (as per Elmer Fudd) in which case his familiar would be a Wabbit. Obviously.

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
Some people have realy big imaginations :D i like it. Keep on going crazy guyz ^^ this is fun.
I want to play that necromancer first, he is what i want in a game like this . To bring back pesky creatures from the dead, if he does not have this then he is not a true necromancer.
The druid MUST have SHAPESHIFTING magic, not only on him but on hes creatures aswell, he must be able to evolve one of his creatures into a greater level and stronger creature.

Hey_Daralon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
Quote from: "Fentum" post=11725
Dwuid vs Necromancer

B)

Well, here's what we do know about the Druid:
The first Druid will be female
Trained in Nature with a focus on plants, rather than animals
Might also be trained in Water, which is used to heal, grow her plants, and attack enemies
Does not use traditional spawnpoints, but her plants can spontaneously grow quickly across the arena
Basic strategy is steady growth, starting out rather weak, but getting stronger as time goes on

Looks like a pretty interesting design and a good match for the Necromancer.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
I love the idea of the Druid folks have been putting out, very exciting stuff.  I'm a huge Druid fan in other games I play like EverQuest etc.

My very 1st instinct/thought would be a nature/cleric so nature + holy for schools of magic.

I can see how any of the other elemental schools of magic could make sense though too, for example the EQ Druid is focused on ice + fire.   There are so many directions you could take with "choosing one element, similar to the wizard".  So instead of Arcane + 1 element of choice, it would be Nature + 1 element of choice etc.  And of course a triple penalty for dark magic and maybe even war spells.

I think there is just too much tied to nature for a Druid to not be nature at least, so I think as cool as the "all elements" idea sounds I can see a future expansion opportunity for that.  ie in the future there should be an "Elementalist" who is trained in ALL elements but nothing else (which has it's obv pros/cons restrictions).

IF it ends up being nature + holy since those are two major schools there has to be a significant penalty, there are so many good combos I can think of if I had access to both those in my book for base spell book cost.  So maybe a restriction to not being able to wear certain armor or things to make the Druid rely on its spells more.

Oh and of course a Druid needs plant based stuff so a major Treant creature for a big guy and seedlings or something for the little swarm strategies.

A mass dissolve or something of that nature might be very powerful as well.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »
hey plants could have the trait of "hydroponic" where water attacks heal the number rolled on the attack dice. "photosynthesis" could do the same with light attacks.

to incouporate mana flower (plant) all plants can get this effect by default "hydro imunity" imply no other effects from water attacks. but plants can't be light immune because now light dies burn damage.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Dragonsoul101

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
I believe hydro immunity would be unfair I.e if you give a plant too much water it also dies. However a druid is very intune with nature like a shaman is so they natuarally should be able to call spirit beasts to battle as beastmaster calls flesh and blood ones. Also that is where I believe a shape change could occur in the aura or form of the druid. The mechanic would use the spirit beasts in a sort as the druid would take on many of the beasts. So say she calls on the spirit of a wolf and then merges with it she would then in fact be a "werewolf"

Durids are trully more adept with plants so naturally she should have power over the the ability to make them grow w/ or w/o water. To me a water trained druid is nothing better than a gardener with a super good green thumb lol.

So to sum it up. The druid should have the ability to manipulate plant life without the use of water as well as use spirit animals to alter her "form".

I don't know if this makes much sense, but to me a druid is a shaman with the ability to manipulate plants instead of beasts and use the spirits to alter her form
Necromancer 4 life

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid

It says in the wikipedia article that there is next to nothing known about Druids except that they were part of the priestly class in different parts of Europe. The article also implies an association with nature. While Wikipedia might not be the most reliable source about specific facts, getting general background info about something can sometimes be okay.

Anways, Druid vs Necromancer sounds like "Light versus Darkness" AND "Life versus Death". It seems most likely to me that the Druid will either

1.) have both Nature and Holy training but everything out of school costing triple, or
2.) the Druid might have the choice to be schooled in either Nature OR Holy. But since we already have the Priest and Priestess having another Holy only mage seems like a bad idea at the moment...
3.) the Druid will be a nature only mage. She will have somewhat of a religious background but not be of the holy school, since she finds spirituality out in nature instead of inside a man-made place of worship like a church or temple as is normally expected of the priest class in RPGs.

And also, why would the necromancer have water when he's fighting against a Plant-user? If anything he should have Earth, since that's where the bodies are buried, and that way he can uproot plants as well as bodies. I think it more likely that the expansion will have Earth support for both mages without them actually being trained in it. The Druid is trying to put things in the ground, while the Necromancer is trying to take things out of the ground. Also, maybe some water support, but again, not having the Druid trained in water makes more sense, since there are plants that exist which need very little water to survive. While they still need water, so does all life, so I don't see why she should have particular training in water. I can see her getting training in Holy because Holy has a light theme going and plants need light for photosynthesis, but Water? Definitely not, especially since I don't see that doing very much against a Necromancer using Dark and possibly Earth as well.

Druid used splash!
Necromancer's graves are muddy! Undead creature spells are now easier to cast!

Of course, maybe instead of just being a plant version of the beast master, she should have training  in ground after all to set her apart rather than just receiving ground support. But if she does receive ground training, then the Necromancer will have to receive ground training also, because it just wouldn't make sense otherwise.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid

It says in the wikipedia article that there is next to nothing known about Druids except that they were part of the priestly class in different parts of Europe. The article also implies an association with nature. While Wikipedia might not be the most reliable source about specific facts, getting general background info about something can sometimes be okay.

Anways, Druid vs Necromancer sounds like "Light versus Darkness" AND "Life versus Death". It seems most likely to me that the Druid will either

1.) have both Nature and Holy training but everything out of school costing triple, or
2.) the Druid might have the choice to be schooled in either Nature OR Holy. But since we already have the Priest and Priestess having another Holy only mage seems like a bad idea at the moment...
3.) the Druid will be a nature only mage. She will have somewhat of a religious background but not be of the holy school, since she finds spirituality out in nature instead of inside a man-made place of worship like a church or temple as is normally expected of the priest class in RPGs.

And also, why would the necromancer have water when he's fighting against a Plant-user? If anything he should have Earth, since that's where the bodies are buried, and that way he can uproot plants as well as bodies. I think it more likely that the expansion will have Earth support for both mages without them actually being trained in it. The Druid is trying to put things in the ground, while the Necromancer is trying to take things out of the ground. Also, maybe some water support, but again, not having the Druid trained in water makes more sense, since there are plants that exist which need very little water to survive. While they still need water, so does all life, so I don't see why she should have particular training in water. I can see her getting training in Holy because Holy has a light theme going and plants need light for photosynthesis, but Water? Definitely not, especially since I don't see that doing very much against a Necromancer using Dark and possibly Earth as well.

Druid used splash!
Necromancer's graves are muddy! Undead creature spells are now easier to cast!

Of course, maybe instead of just being a plant version of the beast master, she should have training  in ground after all to set her apart rather than just receiving ground support. But if she does receive ground training, then the Necromancer will have to receive ground training also, because it just wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Didn't they say Druid is nature + water and Necro is just Dark.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
I believe hydro immunity would be unfair I.e if you give a plant too much water it also dies.

Mana Flower (Core)
Mohktari, Great Tree of Life (Core)
Tanglevine (Core)
Wall of Thorns (Core)

currently these are all plant objects currently in the game, and they all have Hydro immunity so i would assume most plants would have Hydro immunity.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
But thematically, Druid is more of a profession/class/way of life, and plant would be like a race. So like an Elf Druid would not, but some sort of plant species Druid would.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

Dragonsoul101

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
I believe hydro immunity would be unfair I.e if you give a plant too much water it also dies.

Mana Flower (Core)
Mohktari, Great Tree of Life (Core)
Tanglevine (Core)
Wall of Thorns (Core)

currently these are all plant objects currently in the game, and they all have Hydro immunity so i would assume most plants would have Hydro immunity.

See I don't yet own the game so I didn't know that yet lol. Learn some new every day :)
Necromancer 4 life