April 27, 2024, 12:46:33 PM

Author Topic: Forcemaster vs Warlord First Battle Ever  (Read 12388 times)

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Forcemaster vs Warlord First Battle Ever
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:51 AM »
David and I played the first ever battle between the Forcemaster and Warlord. We placed first and second in the tournament at Bashcon and won some slick looking trophies and a copy of the new expansion.

Our first play through was a blast (of force magic). As always, the Mage Wars team makes us feel like we were the Mages. It felt balanced yet both Mages played very differently than any other Mages we have seen yet. There was at least 5 OMG moments where we were blow away by the way the spells played out. Stayed tuned to learn what happened when the invisible stalker attacked the Goblin Boomer in a zone filled with a squishy goblins and the Warlord. Can't wait to play a rematch this evening!

Our expansion preview and review will be up on youtube so stay tuned! We will post the link here.  

Great job Arcane Wonders and thanks for putting on the fun tournament. Can't wait for Gencon. It was also great to meet Patrick Conner and forum moderator/game designer Shadow.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster vs Warlord First Battle Ever
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
Yeah. Definitely pleased with the quality of FM vs WL expack.

Sectarus makes me very, very happy. (Even tho I haven't been able to use it yet)

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
Can't wait to hear more. Especially interested in hearing how the Warlord works
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
My first impression is that his conjurations and creatures are incredibly powerful, but I haven't even scratched the surface of how to use him properly.

The 4-mana conjurations (Watchtower and Garrison) are incredible because of their cost. They are so cheap that there is no point in trying to destroy them; you can recast them for the cost of a single Block. (and they've probably absorbed more damage than one Block) You need 2 other outposts to maximize the mana income of a Barracks, so there is no reason not to throw down towers early.

The "Soldier" type creatures are all about damage and mana efficiency, but they tend to be fragile for their cost. In contrast, the Iron Golem and Earth Elemental are Slow and immensely sturdy. I am definitely planning to use Golem/Elemental to Guard my fragile slingers and snipers.

The Barracks generates 3 mana per turn and the Goblin Grunt costs 4 mana. This is incredible. Seeing all of those grunts swarm out onto the battlefield made me want to yell "FOR THE HORDE!!".

Becoming good at the Warlord is going to require a lot more skill in positional play. For example, the mere presence of Ludwig Boltstorm (1-1 3 dice triplestrike crossbow) strongly discourages enemies from hanging out in zones adjacent to Ludwig. The presence of an iron golem strongly discourages enemies from venturing into that zone. Caltrops and walls can further "zone out" enemies.

A Warlord creature swarm is very different from a Beastmaster creature swarm in that he is slower to get started and therefore cannot rush as effectively. A BM can make an effective swarm without any spawnpoint at all, or with just a Lair (14 mana), while a WL needs a minimum of Barracks + 2 Towers (20 mana). However, once the Warlord has a lot of creatures out, his extra abilities like Veterancy and Battle Orders make those creatures extremely powerful.

The 3x mana cost for dispels, nullifies and teleports is really painful. A Warlord will frequently have to make do with knives, axes, slings and arrows in situations where a more "educated" Mage would use spells.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »
What was the Forcemaster like? It's hard to imagine how she plays compared to the other mages. Is she a mobile attacker weaving about the arena avoiding defenders on her way to the opposing mage, or efficient at removing defenders? A little bit of both? Neither? I can't imagine she can afford to get too distracted fighting minions.

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
Tacullu64, The forcemaster was a ton of fun to play. Although I was surrounded by goblins, I had amazing staying power. Her force field, deflect ability, charms, and her ability to daze and slam creatures did an amazing job of  preventing most attacks. The goblins felt more like a swarm of flies than a army surrounding me. On the other hand, I was so mana starved that I could not get many spells off once I had my defenses setup. The warlord, put an agony on me so my melee was nerfed as well. In the future I will manage my upkeep better so that I am not mana starved.

The new expansion is as perfectly designed as the original game. The new spells and abilities are wonderful and I can't wait to discover new combos and synergies.

I will have my preview up later this evening and a review out tomorrow.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »
It was a good match to watch.  :cheer:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:02 AM »
Wish I could've stayed to watch...  Get that preview/review on youtube already!  : )
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:25:46 AM »
You had a long drive and the snow was moving in good to see you got home safe.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
Here are my previews:

Forcemaster cards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIvZsUiKMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBuJXOaam0

Rule book and markers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4LV5OHerY

Warlord and extra are coming soon. Youtube is taking forever to download my HD movie files.

paradox22, It was fun to meet you. I look forward to discussing the meta game over the forums. Hopefully see you at Gencon as well.

Shad0w, it was fun to get the insider perspective and here about some of the cards to come. Thanks for the battle tips as well.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to make the videos and post them. They were very helpful.

I have question on quantities if it's not too much trouble. How many forcefields and thoughtspores came in the set?

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
There were 2 forcefields, which given there price to dispel, is probably plenty. Last, I counted, there are 3 Thoughtspores. So you can set up a tennis match with an enemy as the ball and the net as a fire wall.

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
Also here is a Warlord preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsQJRYCy4ZQ

And the extra spells that come in the box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81UhTP6DBXY

Once again, keep in mind the box come with copies of most spells. It is a tremendous value. Some players will want to get a second set to have the 6 max for level 1 spells.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:42 AM »
Quote from: "halvor" post=7692
There were 2 forcefields, which given there price to dispel, is probably plenty. Last, I counted, there are 3 Thoughtspores. So you can set up a tennis match with an enemy as the ball and the net as a fire wall.

Thanks.

One more thoughtspore and you can play doubles.  :)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Ive got 4 spores.
looks like the breakdown is:

5-6 of basic level 1s like goblin grunts and wall of pikes are 6, but some incantations like repulse and sniper shot are 5
4 of most level 2-3s (4 goblin builders, even though they are level 1)
2 of level 5 or legendary cards (sectarus, earth elemental, boltstorm, etc)
1 of any epic or cantrip cards