April 27, 2024, 01:16:33 PM

Author Topic: Mages' Mansion (Clue-ish format)  (Read 2700 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mages' Mansion (Clue-ish format)
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
This is a format which uses modular zones and requires a DM.

Have you ever played the original pokemon games? Do you remember the Saffron City gym? You know, the one with all the rooms with teleport pads? Have you ever played the board game "Clue"? This is kind of like that.

There are a minimum of four rooms. These rooms can be as big as the DM wants them to be, and in any shape they desire, as long as the starting rooms for each mage have the same number of zones and an equal amount of distances (in zones) to every other zone in the arena. The outer walls of all rooms are indestructible and cannot be flown over.

The game starts with each mage and one other creature per mage on the board in their starting zones, face down.

All creatures are played face down and given a number to identify them, and are never revealed until they die. Opponents will try to figure out what your facedown creatures are based on the actions you take with them!

All players are allowed to take notes.

All of the rooms have a warp tile zone in them, which teleport any creature that walks into them to the corresponding warp tile zone (the warp tile card is flipped face up and the DM reveals the warp tile zone that shares the number on its face.)

The DM is omniscient and knows what every face down card is. The DM also can cast certain spells during the start of the upkeep phase targeting all legal targets in the arena, using their supply of 50 mana that they get at the start of the game. This ability ignores LoS and Range.

For instance, if the DM casts a mana crystal, all mages increase their channeling by 1.

Another thing you can do with the warp tiles is have them all start out revealed, and then roll the effect die to decide the destination of any creature that goes onto a warp tile.

The objective is to be the last mage alive.

What do you think?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

lettucemode

Re: Mages' Mansion (Clue-ish format)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »
What value does the DM add to the game besides casting global spells every once in a while? If I was him I'd get bored pretty quick and dump my mana supply into global Force Crushes.

You say that every zone has to be equidistant to all other zones. How is that possible if there's only 1 teleport tile per room?

Since no room has LoS to any other room, nor can they be traveled between except via the teleportation tiles, how is a player supposed to catch another mage who is more than 2 teleports away? I can gear the Benny hill yackity sax in my mind already...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mages' Mansion (Clue-ish format)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

What value does the DM add to the game besides casting global spells every once in a while? If I was him I'd get bored pretty quick and dump my mana supply into global Force Crushes.

You say that every zone has to be equidistant to all other zones. How is that possible if there's only 1 teleport tile per room?

Since no room has LoS to any other room, nor can they be traveled between except via the teleportation tiles, how is a player supposed to catch another mage who is more than 2 teleports away? I can gear the Benny hill yackity sax in my mind already...

Force crushes would not be allowed to be cast by the DM.

I did not say that every zone needs to be equidistant to every other zone. That's not even possible with more than 2 zones. I said that the starting zones need have the same zone-distances as each other to the rest of the arena. This is meant to prevent unequal starting positions. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The more than two warp tiles away thing could be a problem. In that case, maybe destination should be partially decided by the D12. Or perhaps spells should be warped when they pass over a warp tile...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.