March 28, 2024, 11:54:05 PM

Author Topic: spellbooks - hard to use  (Read 4973 times)

thomyerk

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
spellbooks - hard to use
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:06 AM »
hello!
the disturbing thing is when you want to put your cards in the books, you have to use both of ur hands, because the top of the pockets have the same height. if the closer one (the frontal) is a bit lower, i can slip the card's corner to the pocket, and its easier to get the cards to their right place. the main problem is with the upper pockets, they dont have anything that prop up them (while the lowes have the thickness of other pages and the book itself).

i know i'm a bit late wih this, because i'm sure the new expansions are in the manufacturers, but for the future books and expansions.

no one have the same problem?

(also I couldnt really explain it well, sorry. )

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: spellbooks - hard to use
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »
The Spellbooks are standard card books made for games like Magic and Yugiho. I don't know that Arcane Wonders can do anything to change the size of the pockets that the cards go in.

It can be a bit difficult to slip the cards out but once you sleeve the cards they are a lot easier to get out
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
i more annoyed by the fact that halfway through the book the second row of sleeves all of a sudden have to be accessed from the back.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
Again, standard for books like this. Not sure why
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
Maybe its just because I used to play Magic a lot, but I dont use the spellbooks.  Its just easier for me to find cards, sift through them and clean up.

Cavie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
thomyerk,

This is really the only component issue I have with the game.  Everything else is top notch imo.

I've read a few solutions people have come up with on BGG but the best one I found was this:  The 4x4 Ultra Pro binders.  

Even though you are spending a little more money on your game the advantage is their side loading pockets.  These books have increase my loading/unloading time quite a bit, they also can be loaded front and back on each page.

The other positive to buying these is I now I have my original set (even though they are a bit more finicky for getting cards in and out) and 2 more books for multi player  :)

thomyerk

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:23 AM »
thanks i try to find out about them! its not a big deal, but when you have to do it and want to change mages etc this is a really hard way to do it....

Deefer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
I ended up cutting a shallow V in the front of each pocket. Makes it much easier to insert and remove cards. The V is about half and inch deep.

I created a template card and inserted it into the pocket then took an exacto knife and cut the v along the lines on the template. Doesn't have to be perfect....

Makes grasping the cards much easier.

Having said that, not using the books at all seems to be my preferred way lately.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 02:26:50 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the plastic will stretch with time, making it easier to work with.

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
I use the Monster card holders, which are similar to the UltraPro. They're $15, enough room to hold 2 mages worth of spells, the cards insert MUCH easier from the side of the pocket, and most importantly the pockets are diveded, making them completely useable from the front and back.