April 19, 2024, 01:27:30 AM

Author Topic: Walls of FUNnel  (Read 4464 times)

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Walls of FUNnel
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »
So I am currently a big fan of walls and poison clouds to funnel my enemies right to me as a wizard launching might lightning spells down the funnel.

I am currently working out the details of a 1st or 2nd turn set up in which I teleport across the board 9 mana, step forward and cast extended wall of some type along the opponents starting space on his left side extending into the zone I now stand in.

backing up a step and casting poisong cloud into the previous space and then using the wizard spawnpoint to get out crippling basilisks to keep him there while I blast lightning down his throat.

Thoughts?

gos_jim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Walls of FUNnel
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
You can't teleport yourself 3 zones because the target creature (you) and the target zone all have to be within 2 zones of the caster.

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
Duly  noted, still that doesn't really change the overall strategy.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
I dont think itd be worth the cost/hassle personally.

If you dont use wall of stone, the opponent can just take the damage and walk through the thorns or fire to get out of harms way and mostly ignore the trap.  (thorns does solid damage to a mage, but still better than being locked in a bowling alley of doom)
If you DO use wall of stone, its too expensive to extend (somewhere around 16 mana for two wall units) and do much else which gives plenty of opportunity to escape before you can setup hazards or creatures.

Teleport also essentially nullifies the trap, even if tangled/crippled.

If you do set up the trap he can use his own wall accross the open side to block your LOS while he tunnels out the side or gets buffed up and prepared to break through the obsticle course.

Also, Flying creatures and Climbers can just hop the walls and/or around the hazards and cause a lot of trouble for you.

So, while the concept itself can still be done, and would be fun to tinker with,  its pretty costly to lock down with enough counters that you would have to suppliment it with a lot of contingency options and even a full on "phase 2" plan after it runs its course.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »
I am trying to build this type of strategy too.

You can't do it in first few turns.

Can be done middle of the game.

Strategy:

1) Need undeads (skeletons) or that big guy Malacoy
2) Try setting up your typical mana crystals or Mana flower to gain mana first few turns
3) On 2nd turn try to get 1 skeleton and more mana crystal or Harmonized on Mage
4) On 3rd turn try to equip Mana pendant + 1 more skeleton
5) on 4th turn most likely there may be monsters or casters on your way.
- At this point, 2 spells needed Mage Wand (attach teleport) + Poison
- Cast poison on your starting zone - so this will prevent them from attacking it
6) On 5th turn either get more poison and a wall (this way they would only move one way out of poison
At this point, you can just cast teleport each round to your starting zone while your skeletons attack. If you walled one side in then you have a chance to poison the next zone which if they move they have to stop.

So you can always teleport them back to the starting zone. If they stay they take damage, if they move they stopped in the next zone and take damage.  With mage wand teleport, you can always cast them back to starting.

As backup:
- Need to make sure you bring Nullify to cast to yourself as hidden. This way they cannot "Dissolve' your wand.
- Also cast Nullify on the opponent's mage to get rid of enchant
- Need to bring Force Push and more copies of Teleport
- May need to get the curse that when they move they take damage (Agony? can't remember)
- May also need to bring curses that makes them unmovable (if castable on mages) for upkeep (force may have this).
- May also bring Ghoul Rot to stack the apin
- If you cast that big demon guy that all living creature next to him takes 2 damage that will pretty much be a lot of pain for mage

And don't forget your other typical items to bring.

This is of type dark mage - so adjust accordingly.

I need to buy another core set to try this out because I need more of those skeletons..