May 02, 2024, 04:02:48 AM

Author Topic: Dispel / can it be countered by Nullify?  (Read 3427 times)

Banthalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Dispel / can it be countered by Nullify?
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
I'm sorry if this was already asked and answered, but I couldn't find it.  :(

In a lot of the Strategy tips I've often read to use Nullify to protect Enchantments. (Like curses, etc.).

Does that really work? Dispel targets an enchantment directly and Nullify states that it is triggered when the creature is targeted. So in my understanding it wouldn't trigger, or am I mistaken?  :huh:

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Dispel / can it be countered by Nullify?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
Nullify works to protect things attached to a Mage that target a Mage as part of the spell. Things like Dissolve or Explode.

Nullify would not work on Dispel because the Mage is not the target of the spell and Nullify is attached to a Creature and the spell description refers to "this creature".
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Banthalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
Thanks, that's what I thought. So there is no way to cancel Dispel, other then staling with Jinx, right?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
Check this out.

Reverse Magic:
When this cresture is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Reverse Magic during the Counter Spell Step. You take control of that spell. Redirect it back to the caster, who now becomes the target of the spell. If the spell cannot target the caster, it is countered. Then destroy Reverse Magic.

Quote from: "Banthalos" post=5230
Thanks, that's what I thought. So there is no way to cancel Dispel, other then staling with Jinx, right?

All you can do is delay the dispel because both rev magic and negate do not stop it. All jinx does is buy you time. We may have a way to help with this soon. :whistle:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage