April 25, 2024, 12:12:22 PM

Author Topic: How to run the league?  (Read 5878 times)

GD360

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How to run the league?
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
I'll be attempting to run a league at our local gamestore but I'm not sure how to do it since the game usually plays in 90 mins. That usually would be only enough to run 1 or 2 games. How do we keep points on this?  If we are running 4 tables, whats the point system that makes 1 persons win greater than the other?  

I'm a little confused on how one would win the foil card if we can only play 1 or 2 games a night.

Thanks,
G

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Re: How to run the league?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
Good questions, I've been wondering about this as well.  

I have a few more questions related to OP:  
Do you win the "promo cards", or do you simply get a set for participating?  Can someone with Arcane Wonders confirm when the kit will ship out?  Lastly, how often will a new kit be released?

Looking forward organized play, and teaching as many of my friends Mage Wars as possible!  : )

Thanks!
Si vis pacem para bellum

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
Organizing a tournament for a game that takes a long time is fundamentally challenging. You can't play 2 out of 3 games, you can't efficiently do round-robin, and any kind of Swiss format will be drawn from an unrealistic statistics pool.

Ultimately, I feel like Mage Wars is probably going to have to go the route of other "long" games in that, as far as tournament play goes, it's not going to be accessible to the 9-5 crowd on a weekday. I think this is going to, by necessity, be a game that requires the better part of a day on the weekend.

Saturday or Sunday tournament from 10:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. with a 1 hour lunch break gives an 8-hour window in which to run your event. At that point you could realistically do a Swiss format. The pool for statistic pull would be small, but should be accessible.

The weekday 9-5 crowd has always been left behind in terms of long-game tabletop miniatures. Mage Wars is really no different. People can't get together and run a Warhammer tournament in 3 hours. The same will be true of Mage Wars.

It makes the game less accessible, certainly, but the nature of design for the game kind of mandates this problem to the realm of unsolvable problems.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
Hey guys,

These are great questions - and we're learning as we go what the best solution to some of these problems are.

Largely, we leave the development of the casual play up to the retailers - as they know the speed and play of their players better than we do. We've had a lot of long game times reported, but we've had plenty of short game times reported as well - sometimes a one-size-fits-all approach isn't applicable.

We recommend a swiss format for the games so that everyone gets to play (as opposed to something like single elimination).

As for the promo cards - we are giving out 24 cards in the first OP Kit - which can be won through the tournament structure, through store giveaway, or through a few story challenges.

The kits will come out monthly, after our Holiday Kit ships (hopefully, if all goes according to plan, the holiday kit will ship out later this week).

ABGames

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
Are the holiday kits just something you are shipping out?
I don't remember any solicitation for them.

Meth0s1337

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »
Most info on the OP kits can be found in this thread.
The kits will come through distributors.

ABGames

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
Is the Holiday Kit just another name for the first OP kit?

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:23:36 AM »
Quote from: "ABGames" post=3606
Is the Holiday Kit just another name for the first OP kit?

Yep  : )
Si vis pacem para bellum