March 29, 2024, 01:04:00 AM

Author Topic: Custom wood/stone board:  (Read 36913 times)

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Custom wood/stone board:
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
Going well enough. I only have 4 clamps that are suitable for pressing the 1 1/2'' pine frame to the base, and, in the interest of only having to do it once, I'm gluing/securing each section of the frame to the base one at a time. This will also help me ensure that everything is lining up appropriately during the framing process, and if any small modifications need to be made to either the base or frame I'll know it now, and will be able to make those corrections as I go.

I forgot to mention:

When I took the 27'' x 35'' piece of lumber to Lowes they miscut the wood, leaving me with two pieces, neither of which would be suitable for the project. Lowes didn't have any decent unwarped birch in 4x4 sheets, so I got a 4x4 sheet of 1/4'' Oak, and had it cut into two pieces that were slightly (in the neighborhood of 1/4'' too large all around. I'll have to sand away that 1/4'' when the frame is secured.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
Finished with the gluing process. The board folds very nicely and smoothly. There's a bit of extra base on the sides in certain locations that I will sand down so that everything is flush. It's coming together.

You'll see that what I couldn't before describe very well (the hinges) are now properly done, hidden in the frame so that only the small tubular "bump" is present/visible when the board is open. I have to allow the wood glue to fully set for 24 hours or so before I can staple/screw the frame solidly into place. Once stapled/screwed, the frame will be fully prepared, and I can begin the work of laying the tiles etc.

More pictures!

[attachment=56]20121115_165039.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=57]20121115_165033.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=58]20121115_165021.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=59]20121115_165004.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=60]20121115_164958.jpg[/attachment]
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Azirithdorr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
This is a great project! I've been working on a custom board too and I'm glad to see that we seem to be thinking fairly alike as to what would be good for them.

Mine is a little different from yours, but the heart is the same: a tile and wood board. I'm using tiles like you, but cut them to 10" instead of the standard 8" to give the board a roomier feeling. I'm also going to experiment and make the overall board a 5x5 orientation rather then the standard 3x4. I'm hoping that the larger format will be sufficient for 3-4 player games.

I lucked out and got 12" tiles in a pleasing pattern/colour for $0.99/each at our local Rona. The oak 1x2x1/2" x 6' trimming wasn't nearly as affordable, but I'm hoping it'll be worth it ( it was around $9/piece here in Canada at Home Depot ). I picked black accents ( hinges, carrying handle, and clasp ) for my colour scheme.

Awesome work so far on your board!  I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it  :cheer:

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
This is great! Hope we get to see a finished product :).

ARFF1Tampa

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
Looking good. This game screams out to make a custom board. I was thinking of having individual painted stone surface (modeling) not actual stones. Moss and water effects, dungeon props, ect. Even miniatures representing the Mages with bases with slots for the action markers. Or even remake the action markers and status cubes. There are so many ways a modeler can improve the look and pieces of this game.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
Hey, everyone. Been nearly a year since I logged in, here. Life + frustrations with the game have pushed me away from giving a damn, but I've recently adopted a more casual attitude about gaming, so I'm back, more or less. I still have a lot of frustrations with the game, and how it's run, but I'll be finishing my board within a month or so, give or take, depending on how quickly I can get my new workshop set up.

Look for updates.

-nihil

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Doesn't really qualify as a proper update, but I've finished setting up my workspace. I won't get a chance to work on the board until this weekend, but there it is.

-nihil