Mage Wars > Creative

Custom wood/stone board:

(1/5) > >>

Nihilistiskism:
Over the next month or so I'm going to be working on a project revolving around the creation of a customized wood-bordered silhouette stone/plaster board. I'll be updating this thread with semi-regularity with updates, pictures, and other information should anyone wish to follow the progress of this project and/or emulate the final results.

Placeholder GO!

-nihil

SeanDeCoy:
This. Sounds. Awesome.

Shad0w:
Nihilistiskism I made this a sticky for you.

Nihilistiskism:
Thanks, Shadow.

I've purchased a few test materials for breaking/sealing. I'll be getting my hands dirty this coming weekend with the particulars, but for now I'm in the testing phase for the various materials I think I'll be using.

I've got 2 different plasters I'm going to try out.

Plaster

Plaster is cheaper and far lighter than stone or cement. The downside is that I have a nagging suspicion that it is going to "powder" under force rather than "crack" or "break" under force, given the rigidity of the surface upon which the cracking will take place. However, another component of the plaster is that it is highly heat-sensitive upon setting. It might be possible to bake-crack a plaster set once hardened, or freeze-crack a plaster set once hardened. My gut instinct tells me that the plaster is going to be a bust, regardless, but it's so cheap and easy to test that I'd nag myself to death for skipping the opportunity to see if it could work.

I've got some cement, and will try 2 or 3 iterations of density for the cement.

Cement

As with the Plaster, my initial thought is that cement will simply be more prone to powdering than providing uniform cracks. See plaster on all counts.

What definitely cracks?

Well, Marble, Agate, and Granite are obviously famous for their shear-line cracking properties. Limestone and slate are second runners-up in this category. Marble and Granite are, well, expensive, and Agate can be difficult to acquire in flat specimens of a reasonable size. Limestone can be acquired relatively cheaply, and Slate is a kind of middle-ground on all counts. Slate might be the best option, as it comes in stone-grey (happens to be the cheapest that way, too), and isn't as heavy or expensive as marble or granite. I'll be hitting the Home Depot this weekend to see prices on flat slate tiles in hopes that I can acquire the requisite number at a good price to do some crack-testing on them.

More to come.

-nihil

paradox22:
Pics Pics Pics!   :woohoo:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version