March 29, 2024, 08:15:45 AM

Author Topic: Winter Mage War  (Read 2173 times)

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Winter Mage War
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:40:59 PM »
The Champaign Winter War Convention <https://www.winterwar.org/attend> is February 3-5, 2023 in Champaign, Illinois. Single Day Tickets are $10 per day or $15 at door. All 3 days is $15 in advance or $25 at door. That is just for the Convention, there is no additional fee for our game. The winner gets a voucher for a free Winter War registration, and I hope to buy trophies again too.
I submitted for up to 12 players. It would be great if we can get 12 players (could actually handle up to 16). I'll have at least 1 game set up to teach anyone new as before. Hope to see you there.

The rules that I submitted, but they are up to debate:
- The most recent rulebook I have is from 2017. I think it is the 3rd Edition and Codex Supplement 4.2. Codex and Clarifications from the unprinted as of yet Lost Grimoire 2 are also used. We will wait to see how the vote works out for whether or not the new mages will be used.
- Any currently available card that is also included in the Mage Wars Arena Final Release, will use the Final Release version.
Other rules I didn't see in the above documents
- Steep hill will block Line of Sight if you cast a spell and it goes through two diagonal sections of the zone.
- Symbiotic Orb triggers during the Avoid Attack Step
- The Embalmed - When summoning the Embalmed, remove target non-Epic Living creature in any discard pile from the game. This creature becomes a copy of the removed creature, gaining the Embalmed traits and subtypes. X = the removed creature's mana cost.
- Fizzle Clarification - Once Fizzle has been cast, the enchantment cannot be revealed. If it is a mandatory reveal, then it is not destroyed if it would be forced to be revealed this round.
- Arcane Zap costs 2 mana
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:29:28 PM by VictorE »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Mage War
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
Hi,
The idea is that unless people vote to allow those cards, you do not have to print anything out. Only printed cards are currently going to be allowed (not including promos). If there is a card that has been changed though (such as Zombie Brute or Disciple of Radiance, then the changed version will be used. I just write a little slip of paper and put it with the card for changes rather than print things out. We will only use new or promo final release cards if everyone agrees.

Thanks, I fixed the typo to reveal.

Also, I didn't say, but in past Winter Wars, you had to use the same mage the whole tournament. We have been throwing around the idea that you can have 2 mages prepared. Also would allow you to have one mage with new final release cards if your opponent agrees. Each game, you would reveal your mage of choice at the start at the same time as the opponent. But unless both agree, you'd use the non-final release deck. That is just an idea. I am waiting for feedback.

For those that compete, you will need to have your spell counts printed out or written out too, but if you can't do that, we can always count them at the event. Also, as in the past, I do not share any decks unless permitted by the creator.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:35:00 PM by VictorE »

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Mage War
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:03:08 PM »
Just to be clear, the rules for the event are currently in flux. I welcome input on what you would like.