April 20, 2024, 08:24:37 AM

Author Topic: Special Rules for Gen Con 2013?  (Read 8404 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Special Rules for Gen Con 2013?
« on: July 12, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
I know that I need to bring a spell book (preferably with cards sleeved), and that all other materials will be provided at the event. I have seen that Origins used a 75 minute game... will that be the case at Gen Con?

Also, are the cards that came out in the second expansion allowed to be used? I know nothing about these cards, so my games will be slower as I get explanations for them, and believe that I will be at a disadvantage as I may not have the newer cards that will meld well with my spell book in place of others that I am using.

Are there any other "special" rules that we need to be aware of?

Is there an errata list anywhere in existence (preferably here) that shows which card texts need to be revised?

Thanks,
Dave
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Special Rules for Gen Con 2013?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »
Dave look at the FAQ for the errata...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

hlempert

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »
I too have a question about the GenCon Event. 

Can I use expansions in my spell book or only the base set?

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »
Everyone: 

1. All cards that a released are legal as of their public product release date. 

2. Promos that are not released in public products are not legal.  I.E., Galador, Protector of Straywood IS legal, because it has been released in an actual public product, whereas Healing Wand is NOT legal, because it has NOT been released in a public product.

3. Thus, all cards in these products are legal: Core set, Spell Tome 1, Spell Tome 2, Forcemaster vs. Warlord, and Conquest of Kumanjaro.

I think that's all.  Hope that clears things up.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the assist!

Still 75 minute games?

I wish my local game store had the new expansion now....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the assist!

Still 75 minute games?

I wish my local game store had the new expansion now....

I don't there is an official time limit for matches yet, but my understanding and experience is that 75-90 minute games are what the playtesters recommend. This is with the understanding that these time limits are the norm in a competitive environment.  In other words, if you join an event that is specifically competitive, you should have a good understanding of the rules and functionality of cards in order to expect a smooth time.  I imagine that this is why AW has not yet come out with an official time limit, because their events have not specifically been competitive.

If you're still learning the game and cards, I probably wouldn't recommend you join an event that is explicitly competitive, since you may not be able to abide by the time restrictions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:00:43 PM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »

1. All cards that a released are legal as of their public product release date. 

2. Promos that are not released in public products are not legal.  I.E., Galador, Protector of Straywood IS legal, because it has been released in an actual public product, whereas Healing Wand is NOT legal, because it has NOT been released in a public product.

3. Thus, all cards in these products are legal: Core set, Spell Tome 1, Spell Tome 2, Forcemaster vs. Warlord, and Conquest of Kumanjaro.

^Truth^

Now the rules team or Patrick should have a Gencon post this coming week that will  let people know how the event will be run.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage