April 16, 2024, 04:46:26 PM

Author Topic: Alt Wizard speculation  (Read 10890 times)

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Alt Wizard speculation
« on: October 10, 2020, 07:14:31 AM »
Since we know that we might get an alt wziard/forcemaster in the upcomming set I thought it would be fun to come up with ideas for potential ablities that she might have.

Given that the current Wizard is not only strong but also extremly flexible, we are already be able to build around any arcane or air spell with him, this makes it so that the female wizard isn't required to support any specific stratergy, instead she herself should be intresting IMO.

The one restriction I see with designing her is that she can't be too strong, because she A has acess to Gate to Voltari which is already strong and B mana denail which we don't want to be seeing too much play. I think it would be highly risky to make her stronger than (or equal to) the original wizard.

Overall power isn't the only reason that mages see play though she could be highly specialized, based entirely on theme, be a fun mage or make it so that even though she is weak she will let the player using her avoid one frustration aspect of the game (frustrating aspects can be: too long games, too short games, hidden information, randomness and so on).

Basing her on theme (and the fact that she has an hourglass) I came up with the following:

120 spellbookpoint, 10 channeling, basic melee of 3 dice (almost obvious).
Trained in the Arcane school of magic (air is not a must IMO)
29 life, lumbering (she is an old lady, though to be fair if her hair was black she would almost look young).

Dissipate 7, 'Instead of removing dissipate tokes from your mage during the upkeep phase place them on your mage stats card, if you ever run out of dissipate tokens on your mage card you lose the game. '
(The sand in her hourglass is running out!)

'As a full action you may swap all the dissipate token on your mage card and your mage stats card.'
(She can flip the hourglass to avoid death.)

'You may move a dissipate token from your mage card to your mage stats card to:
  • Gain 1 extra mana during the channeling phase.
  • Let a friendly creature make an extra move action during it's activation.
  • When you cast a spell with dissipate X give it one more dissipate token.
  • After you cast an arcane incantation you may cast it again with new targets as a free action.

Each ability may only be used once per round.'
(She can manipulate time to get stronger, but then she will also run out quicker.)

'When you activate your mage, you may pay 1 mana and all your move actions this round are teleports to the next zone.'
(I just really think this is cool, and it makes her harder to kill.)

Do you have any ideas/speculations for the alternate Wizard?

EDIT: here is the actual art https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/f6/aa/6af6aab3d6f1f5db5aa6001e2dd1fd4a.png
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:57:32 AM by Knabbmaster »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alt Wizard speculation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
I know we won't get any additional cards but the things that you can see on her artwork she should have, like an owl as a familiar and an hourglass I would like to see ...
like this ....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:01:52 AM by Karadox »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Alt Wizard speculation
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:22:57 AM »
I would keep her training the same - Arcane and Air.

Her mage ability might be some time effect that is easy to implement. For example,

Winds of Time - Once per Round during the Action Phase, pay 4 mana and take the next action.

Manipulate Time - Once per Round during the Action Phase, pay X mana to flip a creature's action marker from used to ready. X = Creature's level.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin