March 28, 2024, 03:28:09 PM

Author Topic: A final request for Mage Wars 1.0- Lost Grimoire 2  (Read 7004 times)

HabitualSleever

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
A final request for Mage Wars 1.0- Lost Grimoire 2
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »
So I love Mage Wars and went all in- I've got at least two of every release. I've bought extra colored action markers. I've read the Mage Wars novel. The reason I say that is not because money spent equals love of a game (even if that was the case, many folks here have spent much much more), but to emphasize what moved me to go "all in"- it is not a collectible card game, there are no rare cards. I've got an addictive personality so I could never touch a game like MTG. But MW, where I could get an as good (honestly, better) experience without having to chase rares? Perfect! There was a promise, or at least an assumption, that promo cards would be released in upcoming sets. Problem solved.

BUT now there is discussion of MW 1.0 winding down, and something new in the works... and as exciting as that is, I'm not hearing any talk about closing that promo "loop"- what about the remaining cards that were never released in a set? Some I've been able to acquire by over-paying for (Eekamouse), others I simply can't (the only current way to get the 2014 Dice Tower non-kickstarter cards (Lightning Beetle, Pharoah's Cheetah, etc) is to pay about $70 from the single current listing on the BGG geek store. They came up once in the last couple years on ebay, as far as I can tell, as part of lot of cards which I was indeed out-bid on. I've proxied as well as I can, but images pulled out of OCTGN file are of a limited resolution.

So I propose, and request: Allow us to complete our collections. Release a Lost Grimoire 2 with all remaining promo cards. In a perfect world I would love to see some Arena-level frost spells and errata'd cards as well. But even a small pack of the hardest to find cards would be incredible! Would not have to be a retail release- could be a preorder on the AW webstore or a kickstarter project- literally just a shrink-wrapped pack of cards- but would be an opportunity to close the loop on Mage Wars 1.0 before we jump into whatever is next!

I came into MW late (2017-ish) and have no idea of what is planned for the future. But I hope the designers of this great game consider this request. Sorry for the wall of text! Would love to hear what other people would love to see in a final Lost Grimoire or promo pack.

Edit: whoops I kept writing Lost Grimoire 3 when really it would be LG2.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:15:17 AM by HabitualSleever »

ThisIsDeutch

Re: A final request for Mage Wars 1.0- Lost Grimoire 3
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Throughout Mage Wars' development, there has been a lot of artwork thrown around the internet by Arcane Wonders in order to create excitement and community engagement. Examples were of the artwork for alternate Forcemaster and Wizard, as well as the Archmage, who would have been an expansion to the Domination expansion.

Unfortunately, with 8 years of development, Arcane Wonders was unable to bring these extra projects to fruition; due to a combination of lack of engagement on their part and a diminishing playerbase which would have led to minimal sales. All of this to say that a Lost Grimoire 2.0 will most likely never be released: if they had something in the works, they would have released it by now. There is plenty of promo content to fulfill an expansion, but Arcane Wonders blew their chance at a structured release and have now just given up and moved on.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Re: A final request for Mage Wars 1.0- Lost Grimoire 2
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 03:28:31 AM »
I agree with everything that ThisIsDeutch says, but I also wish to second the OP’s request/suggestion.

If AW put up a Kickstarter for this stuff it would be up to us as players to make it happen. No loss to AW if it does not get up. It might work, might not, but I certainly would be very happy to get those last fews bits and bobs I am missing, and any offcuts/‘deleted scenes’ that might be sitting in the vaults only partly playtested.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

darthmaullv

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »
I would absolutely back a Mage Wars kickstarter to get unreleased cards and alternate art for cards and mages. I often play with my daughter and she refuses to play mages that aren't female and asks all the time why there aren't male and female versions of all of them.

I also think there is a lot of opportunity for more neoprene arena mat options too. Perhaps different size arena's and different environments.

I think there could be some buy in for single sided tokens, more spell books with new art to match the new/alternate mages and more color dice/action token options.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
Hey there,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Arcane Wonders said they have a lot of stock on promo cards. If you contact them at the email below, they might be able to send you a custom order for like $5.00 That usually to cover the shipping cost.

Link to Arcane Wonders Email --> customerservice@arcanewonders.com
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

darthmaullv

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 09:18:55 AM »
Thanks Coshade, I will send them a request :)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »
Just wanted to give a quick clarification from Arcane Wonders. It looks like they are sorting out their promos. I didn't want to promise that they had every promo available and they may be in pre-made packs from previous events. This will be a good chance to see what they have for unreleased promo cards and be able to buy them for non-ebay prices. Also I got a pm asking about cost, I think we have to wait for something official about what they want to charge (I imagine it won't be expensive).
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

HabitualSleever

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
This is good news, thank you for the heads-up!

HabitualSleever

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 07:26:55 PM »
A few months later, did anything ever come of this? Customer service did kindly send some promos my way,  but would love to get my hands on the "2014 Dice Tower Non-Kickstarter" promo set-

Lightning Beetle
Heart of Gravikor
Acid Blast
Dragon's Breath
Gloves of Skill
Flame Strike
Chitin Armor
Bloodthirsty Strike

Or at least one (ore more) lightning beetles, if anyone has any to sell.

Also, I see the playtesting threads- does anyone in the know have an idea whether that will result in actual physical cards? I may have missed that info somewhere.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
Yes, it is an official final expansion for Mage Wars 1.0. Lightning Beetle, Heart of Gravikor, Flame Strike and Bloodthirsty Strike are currently in the list for printing (with adjustments dependent on playtesting).

Acid Blast, Dragon's Breath Gloves of Skill and Chitin Armor have already been printed in extant sets.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

TucsonDoug

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »
If you are going to make one last Lost Grimiore, please Please PLEASE announce it here when it comes out. I almost missed one of the expansions because nothing about it was said here, and this is the place I check for Mage Wars news.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 08:14:44 AM »
you can be sure that updates will be provided here.

HabitualSleever

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 10:11:35 PM »
Wow, that is great news! Thanks for the response and a huge thanks to all those playtesting and making it happen behind the scenes.

Yes, it is an official final expansion for Mage Wars 1.0. Lightning Beetle, Heart of Gravikor, Flame Strike and Bloodthirsty Strike are currently in the list for printing (with adjustments dependent on playtesting).

Acid Blast, Dragon's Breath Gloves of Skill and Chitin Armor have already been printed in extant sets.