March 29, 2024, 06:41:07 AM

Author Topic: Making Academy Mages viable in Arena  (Read 5071 times)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Making Academy Mages viable in Arena
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »
I'm trying to make academy mages viable in arena.
In general I multiplied the health by 1.5 the academy health (round down).
SBP's: I just increased them to 120.
Channeling: On the topic of channeling, I just gave them all 9 channeling, then multiplied the starting mana which is gained in the beginning. So if the Sistarra Wizard has 3 starting mana in academy, then the Sistarra Wizard would gain a bonus 6 mana in the beginning. meaning that instead of starting with 19 mana (10 mana + 9 from channeling), the Sistarra Wizard would start with 25 mana (10 mana + 9 from channeling + 6 bonus mana).
The first ability are based off of the academy ability, which in a few casts I had to tweak to fit into Arena. The second ability in general is the opposite of the first, so if the first ability is defensive in nature the second ability is more offensive. I tried to use words and concepts already in uses throughout mage wars, but are inline with the nature of the Mage, my intention is to give a verity of Mage options without confusing people.

Ivarium Warlord Stats:
120 sbp
School's: War
Life: 36
Channeling: 9
Starting Mana: 19
Attack: 3 Dice Melee
Ability #1 Battle Order: (Once per round, as a quick command spell, you may pay 5 mana. If you do, all friendly soldiers in the arena gain melee +1 until the end of the round. If you control a revealed formation, reduce the cost of this ability by 1.
Ability #2 (Once per round, this Mage may pay 1 less mana when he, casts or reveals a command or formation spell.
NOTES: I increased the Battle Orders cost form 3 to 5, so with a formation revealed the battle order cost will be 4 mana, which is more inline with Call of the Wild. I did this because of the second ability and the fact that Arena wide spell are very strong. The Warlords have always relied on discounts more then increasing there channeling. On the matter of the life, I took the original life of the academy mage an times it by 1.5, so a warlord with 24 life would get 36 in Arena.

Kelsar Grove Beastmaster Stats:
120 sbp
School's: Nature. Fire spells cost triple the spellpoints.
Life 36
Starting Mana: 19
Ability #1 Stir The Beast: (Once per round, when this Mage or a Spawnpoint he controls cast a Level 1 animal creature, he may pay 1 mana to have it enter play active instead of inactive.
Ability #2 Pack Bounding: (This Mage has Lifebound +1 with a level 1 animal creatures in his zone.
NOTES: I added the "Or a spawnpoint" in the Stir the Beast ability since academy doesn't have spawnpoints and I thought that only having the mage have that ability limited the beastmaster too much. Packbounding is my attempts to give the Mage a defensive ability that flows from the Stir the Beast ability, I choose the lifebound ability over some type of armor or heal since you are not removing the damage. I left the ability range to be the zone of the mage instead of targeting a single creature like the Straywood Forest Beastmaster pet ability, this should help keep the minor creatures alive my spreading the damage.

Sistarra Wizard Stats:
120 sbp
School's: Arcane and Air magic.
Life: 34
Starting Mana: 25 instead of 19.
Attack: 3 Dice 0-0 Range
Ability #1 Extend Magic: (When you reveal an enchantment with the Dissipate X trait, you may pay mana equal to that spell's Level -1, to place 1 additional Dissipate token on it.
NOTES: On starting mana, I choose to give 6 mana in the beginning (2x the academy 3 starting mana) instead of giving 10 channeling. I edited the Extend Magic to be cheaper since this ability since paying equal to the level seemed underwhelming, besides there are a total of 17 entrenchments with Dissipate X, only 4 of those 17 enchantments are in the arcane school. For the second ability I choose to changing the Mages attack to a 0-0 range 3 dice attack, this gives the Wizard an cool game changing offensive ability to compensate for the more defensive Dissipate ability. Out of all these Academy to Arena Mages, this has been the one I'm most unsatisfied.

Asyra Priestess Stats:
120 sbp
School's: Arcane and Air magic
Life: 31
Starting Mana: 23 instead of 19.
Ability #1 Blessing of Champions: (Whenever the Priestess casts or reveals a healing or protection spell she may place a guard marker on a friendly Holy creature in her zone by paying X, when X equals the creatures Level -1, minimum of 1 mana.
NOTES: I thought that having one ability is fine here since this ability is not limited to once per round, so having a low health mage that focuses on standing in the front and redistributing the damage through guarding instead of healing was interesting. I did give her a 1 mana discount to help combat the low channeling of the Asyra Priestess.

Jonktari Druid Stats:
120 sbp
School's: Nature and level 1 Water spells. Fire and War spells cost triple spellpoints.
Life: 34
Starting Mana: 23 instead of 19.
Ability #1 Herbalist: (Once per round, when you cast a potion, you may pay 1 mana to place 1 additional Charge token on it.
Ability #2 Dendrology: (Once per round, when you cast or reveal a tree spell, you may pay 1 less mana, to a minimum of 1 mana.
NOTES: I removed the Fire and War triple spellpoints cost for Novice spells. On the second ability "Dendrology" (Study of Trees) I wanted to give a discount but any discount on plants or vines would be way too powerful. So instead I choose trees as the sub-type for the discount, this should differentiate the Jonktari Druid from the Wychwood Druid. This means that this Druid can't use vine markers unless she pays for them from the Vine Tree.

Elemental Lords Elementalist Stats:
120 sbp
School's: Trained in Air, Earth and Water School's. Living objects cost triple spellpoints.
Life: 33
Starting 19
Ability #1 Elemental Glyphs: (When the Elementalist casts a spell he is trained in, he may activate the Glyph that matches the school on that spell. These Glyphs may be deactivated to grant a benefit to the Elementalist.
Ability #2 Golem Drudge: (When a friendly non-Legendary Golem creature comes into play, you may make it your Golem Drudge. Pay mana equal to the creature's Level, then place a growth marker on that creature. If this Drudge is destroyed, you may assign the marker again in the same manner when a new golem is summoned.
NOTES: I removed the Living objects cost triple spellpoints for Novice spells. This mage seems somewhat solo or at least a buddy type mage, which is why I added the Golem Drudge. On the topic of the Golem Drudge, I choose the growth marker (+1 melee and +3 life) instead of the Pet's +2 melee, +1 Armor and +3 health because of cards like Diamond Golem which has 2 dice critical damage. That is why I decreed the mana cost by 1. So now it is pay X when X = the creatures level instead of the more common X = Level +1 found on the Beastmaster's Pet or Priest's Holy Avenger.

Dsjer-Tot Forcemaster Stats:
120 sbp
School's: Trained in Mind and Dsjer-Tet. Non-mind, Non-Dsjer-Tet creatures cost triple spellpoints.
Life: 33
Starting Mana: 25 instead of 19.
Ability #1 Power Transfer: (Once per round, when your Mage or a friendly force creature declares an attack, you may pay 1 mana and remove a Dissipate token from a force creature you control. If you do, the attacking creature gains Melee +2 until the end of the round.
Ability #2 Reinforcing Power: Once per round, during upkeep your Mage may pay 1 mana and remove a Dissipate token from a friendly force creature in your zone. If you do, then gain +2 Armor until the end of the round.
NOTES: I changed the Power Transfer ability from +2 melee for that attack to +2 melee for that round. Reinforcing Power is like the Wizards shield, it should have some interesting interactions with the forcemaster's equipment.

Ketsuto Monk Stats:
120 sbp
School's Trained in the Mind school as well as martial and monk spells. Creatures spells in which the Monk is not trained cost triple spellbook points.
Life 37
Starting Mana: 21 instead of 19.
Ability #1 KI: (You Begin the game with 2 Ki. During the Upkeep Phase, you gain 1 Ki. Ki may be spent to augment specific spells and abilities.
Ability #2 Superior Reflexes: (The Monk uses Ki to augment her natural reflexes. Once per round, this mage has a Defense which can be used to avoided Ranged attacks on a roll of +6. She must pay either 1 mana or 1 Ki each time she uses this Defense.
NOTES: Superior Reflexes was a spur of the moment idea, I don't really know if it is too powerful or too weak. I'm trying to make the Monk different then the forcemaster, be mainly giving her more melee focus ability while the Dsjer-Tot Forcemaster is a more creature oriented Mage.

Bael Warlock Stats:
129 sbp
School's: Trained in Dark and Fire. Holy spells cost triple spellpoints.
Life: 39
Starting Mana: 19.
Ability #1 Sacrifice of Blood: (Once per round, when a friendly demon creature attacks, during the Roll Dice Step of that attack, the Warlock may place 1 point of direct damage on that demon to re-roll all of the attack dice (but not the effect dice).
Ability #2 Sacrificial Prey: (Once per round, before or after any friendly creature Action Phase, you may place the Sacrificial Prey marker on an damaged non-Mage Living creature. Friendly demons that attack and damage the marked creature may heal 1 damage. The Marker is returned if the creature was destroyed or the Mage may take 2 damage, if he does then take back the Sacrificial Prey marker.
NOTES: I removed the Holy Novice  spells cost triple spellpoints. Sacrificial Prey is like the Jogktari Beastmaster's Wounded Prey except that Sacrificial Prey heals demons that attack and damage the marked creature, in addition Sacrificial Prey is not limited to targeting enemy damaged living creatures, meaning that you can can target friendly damaged living creatures as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine