March 28, 2024, 03:10:57 PM

Author Topic: MW arena update 2020  (Read 33742 times)

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: MW arena update 2020
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
I think we both had a lot on our minds. But it's not like an obligatory thing to watch ;)

I put some timestamps in the description, so you can jump to subjects that interest you the most.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
I listened to parts. Thanks for posting the discussion!

I definitely think gradual change of the meta is possible in physical card games. (I like digital as a complement, but I LOVE to touch cardboard and sit face to face) I have played both Game of Thrones LCG and Netrunner LCG by Fantasy Flight and they use a very elegant way to do this by regularly publishing a list of 'restricted' cards. In a deck you may use only one restricted card, you can still use several copies of that card but you cannot use another different restricted card in the same deck. This makes it easy to break up very efficient card combinations. One could then put for exampel Pillar of Righteous Flame + Archers or something (I'm not into the game enough to know exactly what cards are best to combo with the Pillar, just an example) on the restricted list and people would have to chose one or the other. You would preferably have a bunch of restricted cards for every Mage that is currently considered too good, and very few for the Mages that are underpowered at the time. Of course, every Mage can use every card, but you get the idea. It is a bit similar to your ban-list idea but I think it leaves more choice in the hands of the players. If you really like your Pillar or whatever, you can still use it but you might need to tweak the rest of the deck.

I think it is a very good way of doing it since you do not really change the in-game effects of the cards, you only change the way decks can be built. In FFGs case they updated these lists like every second or third moth and each time they did the meta opened up for new possiblities. I liked it a lot. Kept the game fresh even in periods where not a lot of cards were coming out.

In Mage Wars you could even take it one step further and instead say that all cards on the restricted list have their spell point cost doubled, or something like that. But the key is changes at the level of deckbuilding, not in-game, which makes playing with 'restricted' cards as easy as playing with non-restricted since the in-game printed info stays the same.

I also think one-off erratas/faqs on some cards, like what they did with wizards tower is perfectly fine. Some card are just design misstakes that need to be tweaked. Players can deal with it if they are competitive, and if they are not, they can just ignore the faq and play casual witht the cards as written.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:09:38 PM by Bjorne »

Jeffman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
Any update yet?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2020, 09:33:28 AM »
wow... I came back just to see if somebody's still here... WOW! somebody and some news!

I don't know where it leads, but I didn't play MW for a few years and didn't find replacement.
If AW creates something as rich as it was, as long as it was, as complex as it was, I'm looking forward to play it.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2020, 10:18:46 AM »
A few more words...

It would be sad to let my cards in there boxes, in the basement... but it would be a lot sadder to be bound to them when creating a new version!

3 points I would reproach to MW and put on the table for a new version:
(and, just to be clear, when I write MW I mean arena! I bought academy for a few useful cards in the arena but never played it)

1) to many conditions.
I like an aggravated wound but don't need burn, poisoned, rot, etc.
I like an incapacitated creature but don't need slam, daze, stun, etc.
etc.

2) spellbind makes the game repetitive.
I prefer to see many spells and strategies during my games.

3) AW never errated...
I like to get a well thought game when I buy it, but when a problem appears it must be fixed!

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2020, 10:31:27 AM »
Yep lots has happened. Arcane duels are working with Arcane Wonders for last errata for a few cards and rules.  As well as balancing and release of all unreleased promos.  And a mini expansion for Arena Monk and Elementalist.   Playtesting all errata and cards currently on OCTGN. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2020, 02:40:00 PM »
They finally decided to make an errata and continue to develop the first version?

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Supposedly one last update before converting to Mage Wars 2.0. I don't have faith in either thing ever being released.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »
Hey guys!

Welcome back! We currently have open playtesting. We have a Youtube series every week to outline changes that we do. Below are links to the playtesting Dropbox and the Youtube if you are interested in participating.

Link to Youtube --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrnZtit8b8&list=PLKFenfrT4VG_tEW7cusOTGYzb-y0a9CPh

Dropbox Link ---> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nifbqikhcff4a6l/AAB3UZtoe9j96LvAz5PawA2Na?dl=0
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2020, 01:16:21 PM »
Hello all,

Honestly, why does AW not sell the game rights to a company that cares.  I am on the fence about an Arena 2.0 but would not buy from AW.  Maybe another company with a track record.  Enjoyed the game in the day,  accepted that Europe was ignored and the game earned the game American Mage Wars.    Bryan Pope lost all interest in the game when it was not a big sucess after a couple of years.  He visited Essen and did nothing,  ignored offers to help.  He had the big good idea for a great game.  Now give it to a company that will support it.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
Supposedly one last update before converting to Mage Wars 2.0. I don't have faith in either thing ever being released.

;D
I'm done believing, but always curious!