March 28, 2024, 04:04:28 AM

Author Topic: Best intercept guard for a holdfast Anvil Throne Warlord?  (Read 5313 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Best intercept guard for a holdfast Anvil Throne Warlord?
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:57:19 PM »
Hi Folks

Playing around with a concept of a stronghold warlord that utilises a hill and the various zone enchantments to build a castle. I need an interceptor to catch those incoming fireballs. I cannot decide which to go with of the three obvious choices.

Guardian Angel. Pros: Aegis, a defence, pretty good hit points and the self healing is awesome. Cons: high SBP cost and no synergy with the warlord's soldier commands.

Dwarf Panzergarde. Pros: loads of hit points, great defence chance, soldier. Cons: lightning vulnerability, no healing.

Noble Vanguard. Pros: Vigilant! Soldier. Cons: fairly high SBP cost, low hit points, no healing.

I am leaning towards the Panzergarde at the moment, but am worried I might have to carry a bit more healing/regen to keep him up.   

Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Best intercept guard for a holdfast Anvil Throne Warlord?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »
given mana constraints in the warlord, I would suggest the noble guard. cheaper, and if it survives so much the better. perhaps a fortified position in its zone.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »
While Vigilant won't make a difference if the NV doesn't do anything but go on guard each turn, I'd still think that the lowest cost creature would be the way to go when there are pluses and minuses on each. You will want more than one, so the lower the cost the better. It's a shame that the Gargoyle is opposed school... I think that one would be the best for this. I can't see spending sbp's for a couple of them....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:57:54 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 04:46:14 AM »
If you are using Dig In/Form Ranks, see yourself using Hold the Line a lot, and use Standard Bearer then Panzergarde is better. Otherwise Angel is much better, but obviously more spellbook points - depends how tight you are. Royal Armourer works equally well on both btw.

Dwarven Vanguard is a good card, but in my opinion it's a Vigilant soldier that happens to have Intercept, rather than an Interceptor that happens to have Vigilant. It's a great card, and good to have as a backup interceptor - but he won't last long jumping in front of fireballs on his own. He does benefit hugely from Form Ranks, btw.

So pragmatically I'd go for a Panzergarde  AND Vanguard (which costs the same as an angel). If you find you somehow have points to spare, then consider an Angel upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:50:37 AM by Kelanen »

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:48:36 AM »
I suggest Togorah. Can't be pushed off your castle either.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »
 i think easy answer is dwarf panzerguard here . in school, has enough stats to withstand a blast or two. 

Gargoyle sentry is also nice but too expensive SBP wise similar to the guardian angel.   
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster