April 19, 2024, 04:41:02 AM

Author Topic: Freezing Wind - New Wizard with New Cards  (Read 5016 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Freezing Wind - New Wizard with New Cards
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »
Been a while since I posted anything on the forums.  Thought I would post a book I have been working on.  I really dig the Wizard and all of the new spells from Academy Elementalist and Druid make the mage even more fun to play!

Overall it is fairly simple.  Wizard does wizard things while wizard's tower shoots things.  But a few additions are:

Attacks:
Voltaric Discharge, Twister, Electrify - basically for any small creature swarm but especially for the new swarm creatures!  Pretty sure that a swarm creature's additional strikes will not be affected by the voltaric shield - attack 1 hits and triggers the shield, then attacks 2-X hit and you have no shield....so that is going to be a pain.
Every other attack is pretty self explanatory.  Wanted to have some new freeze attacks in here, because freeze, but also the level 1 spells are lvl 1 air and the freeze conditions can stack up to make creatures lumbering so it is harder to get to the tower, my mage, and the gremlins can rush in and strike!

Conjurations:
typically I like to T1: mana shard and battle forge (in the same zone) this gives me the flexibility of having extra channeling depending on the match up or to give the battle forge extra mana if I am going to be rushed and need gear , T2: use extra mana from shard on the forge, deploy the arcane ring for free, play mana crystal and whatever else. What is nice is that mana shard and wizards tower are not zone exclusive so you can have tower, shard, and forge all in the same zone and put the mana where you need it most (attacks or equipment or even incantations if you have Huginn in that zone too!) I have 3 thunderstorms so that I can thunderstorm and double siphon energy with my mage and Huginn on the same round, this means that the last dissipate is removed during the next upkeep and for a total of 8 mana I get a 9 dice attack, multiple stagger chances, and can do it again next turn If i want too.

Creatures:
Everything here is pretty standard except for Galgommon and the 2 frost elementals (yes, they are 6 sbps each) but they are really fun to play.  Galgommon is a cheap incorporeal, which are typically hard to get rid of anyways, unless you are prepared for it.  The elementals are only 15 mana each and roll 5 dice each and can stack 2 freeze conditions each attack.  They are corporeal so focus strike, sweeping strike, and battle fury all work on them! Huginn can even cast those if you need! 

Enchantment:
Summoning Circle is used to move the threats around the board easier since I am not using the Gate to Voltari.  3 deep freeze for the frost elementals and then arcane ward the deep freeze card to help avoid dispel.  I also have an extra deep freeze if one does get dispelled or if I need to put it on an enemy so they do not loose the freeze conditions. 2 Reverse Magic because I am a wizard and that is what wizards do!

Equipment:
2 mage and 2 elemental wands...pretty standard for a wizard.  The towers take a lot of hate so I have 2 wands.  2 towers and 2 elemental wands may be overkill...eh.  Elemental cloak for all of the new fire, frost, and lightning spells.  Mordock's Tome is a fun card! I know I can have both wands out with the tome.  But an easy set up to get is have a tower and have 1 wand and the tome equipped.  With this set up you can have 6 threats for your opponent to ponder over and 6 options for your turn.
Tower is 1 attack, Arcane Zap is 1 attack, Wand is attack or incantation, and three spell options for the turn. And not to mention you can voltaric shield if you want to during the upkeep. 
The tome gives you plenty of options to deal with what is on the board but also makes your opponent feel more pressure!

Incantations:

Knockdown is the bomb! Battle fury, focus strike, and sweeping strike are for the elementals. Steal enchantment can be useful in times *cough, poisoned blood, cough*. Upheaval is a nice card to have to get through a wall or some other annoying lvl 1 conjuration that you need gone, hand of bim, etc.  Siphon energy is used for the thunderstorms but if a song is on one of my creatures and is mucking up my plan I will use it on that too to get rid of the spell faster. Banish because banish can make or break a game!

So those are my thoughts on this book and why I made it.  The sole purpose was to have a wizard that used thunderstorm and frost elementals.  The rest of the book was made after that concept.   Let me know what you think and I am interested to see what you guys can do with this book concept; everyone has their own style and its fun seeing what everyone makes!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Freezing Wind[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Wizard Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]

[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAELA03]1 x Gale Burst[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A07]1 x Lightning Bolt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A09]5 x Jet Stream[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAELA01]1 x Beam of Frost[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A03]1 x Electrify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01A05]1 x Voltaic Discharge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA01]2 x Arc Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01A03]2 x Lightning Jolt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAEA04]1 x Twister[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAELJ05]1 x Mana Shard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]1 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAELJ06]3 x Thunderstorm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]2 x Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W01]1 x Fog Bank[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C21]1 x Huginn, Raven Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C05]2 x Blue Gremlin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC03]1 x Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAELC04]1 x Galgommon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAELC03]2 x Frost Elemental[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]2 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E05]1 x Summoning Circle[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAELE01]3 x Deep Freeze[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E35]2 x Reverse Magic[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]2 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]2 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01Q04]1 x Mordok's Tome[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q01]1 x Arcane Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I15]1 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I02]1 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI12]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWDI02]1 x Focused Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I27]1 x Steal Enchantment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]1 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAELI04]1 x Upheaval[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAFMI02]4 x Siphon Energy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I01]1 x Banish[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWDI05]1 x Sweeping Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]1 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing Wind - New Wizard with New Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
Looks pretty fun, Mambo!

Do you find you have any mana issues? With Huginn, Forge AND Tower, I assume you're just zapping all day
If you zap a lot, why not Hawkeye?
I like battlefury + Frost Elementals.  Sounds super fun!

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Honestly, hawkeye didnt even come across my radar when building this book.  The earliest version of the book was 160sbos :/

This is about the 5th iteration or so. Hawkeye was probably in at one point but I just cut it for sbps.  Yes, zapping a lot. I realistically could cut the forge for hawkeye and another spell, since i only have 5 equipment items, 7 with doubles. 

Huginn is more of a late game, I usually want Huginn out after one or both elementals are out.  He dies pretty quickly against an unavoidable attack.

Overall, though, mana is a pretty tight, not siren mana tight but it gets a bit tricky here and there.  But, if the wizard stays in the zone with the shard then that is 12 mana a turn with the flexibility of using the shard mana elsewhere.  The new shard helps because I can put mana where I want it instead of trying to balance all of the spawnpoints/ familiars at once.  Add a mana to huginn if I need it, to my mage, to the tower, etc.  Its more about trying to assess each threat turn by turn.  The crystal pays for itself in 4 turns (if you used the ring), the shard in 4 as well but as long as it is in a zone with something else that channels you get a lot more bang for your buck in those first 4 turns.

Glagommon and the gremlins help out for mana preservation early in the game.  The elementals you want to try to drop them about a turn or two before they engage.  Melting is troublesome but their high health helps a lot.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »
I tried playing with Twister and was pretty disappointed. It doesn't do as much damage and effects as I would like, and attacks the caster unlike Electrify. If you are dead set on using Twister, I'd put in a Wind Wyvern Hide to reduce the effect. Alternately, put in Sandstorm instead... one more SBP cost, but it is the only range 2 zone attack that I'm aware of... and has a pretty decent attack bar.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »
I tried playing with Twister and was pretty disappointed. It doesn't do as much damage and effects as I would like, and attacks the caster unlike Electrify. If you are dead set on using Twister, I'd put in a Wind Wyvern Hide to reduce the effect. Alternately, put in Sandstorm instead... one more SBP cost, but it is the only range 2 zone attack that I'm aware of... and has a pretty decent attack bar.
Did you combine it with the Gale Force Ring?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:25 AM »
Did you combine it with the Gale Force Ring?

Yes, the air spells mostly were Gale Force Ring, Twister, Sandstorm, WW Hide, Whirling Spirit, a few Jet Streams and some other things... a bit of position control.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
I dont have the gale force ring in here because there are really no wind effects for me to utilize.  90% of the wind spells come out of the tower.  I like the idea of sandstorm, especially since it is range 0-2, I never payed attention to the range, just assumed it was 0-0.

Twister is nice in that it inactivates minor creatures and that is why it is in here.  I took the wyvern hide out of this book.  Having the wind -3 for twister wasnt that great because there is non effect to try and avoid and I would rather use my quick action to do something else then cast that armor. That being said, +2 armor is better than no armor, regardless, but I am ok without having it.

I will make some points for sandstorm, though.  The range 0-2 is pretty sweet.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
Yeah, I didn't have a tower in my book... if I had, I would have not included the Gale Force Ring. I put in a couple of walls (Thorns, Poison Gas) and wanted to have a 2+ push on my Jet Streams, which is why the ring was really in there.

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 12:30:41 AM »
Nice book I have one with siren using new ice spells, made my wife happy since reminds he of frozen movie from Disney, then she plays more often which makes me happy.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 03:49:59 PM »
typically I like to T1: mana shard and battle forge (in the same zone) this gives me the flexibility of having extra channeling depending on the match up or to give the battle forge extra mana if I am going to be rushed and need gear

You realise those outcomes are identical? You ALWAYS put the mana on the mage where you can. The Forge gets supplemented with additional mana from the mage anyway, but you get more flexibility.

There is a theoretical edge case against mana denial, but even then, if you get to the point of so little mana where it makes a difference you have already lost.