April 20, 2024, 12:29:42 AM

Author Topic: Academy Twister and Gale Burst vs Guards  (Read 2891 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Academy Twister and Gale Burst vs Guards
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »
Hi Folks

I am working my way through the new Elementalist and Druid cards (as you have probably guessed).

The Attack spells Gale Burst and Twister have as additional effects "if a minor creature is damaged by [the spell], it becomes inactive."

If you use either of these against a guarding creature that has yet to activate, does the guard lose the guard marker?

The relevant text in the rule book suggests that they wouldn't: "Guard markers are always removed at the beginning of a creature's action phase." A guard that is forced to become inactive does not get to have an action phase.

This does not seem right to me. The effect seems more akin to the arena Stun condition than anything else, and Stunned creatures certainly lose guard markers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Twister and Gale Burst vs Guards
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:57 PM »
They only loose the opportunity to take an action that turn, whether to go back on guard, move, or whatever else. They do not lose the guard marker simply because the action is lost.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess