Mage Wars > Spells

A little love for the Swamp

(1/4) > >>

DaveW:
Has anyone used Swamp much? I happened to have it in a book that I played Friday night... Saturday morning... depending on what time it happened.

My opponent cast a little invisible Force dude with Elusive through a Minds Eye in my zone. I panicked thinking that I had no counter. You can't target the stupid thing without a zone attack or the like... and I had a bunch of Zombies in the zone... I'd have to put everyone in the zone on guard just to be able to kill it (or accept that it was going to get attacks in with impunity until it dissipated).

Then I read the details on the Swamp spell during Spell Prep. Get's rid of Elusive... so now he has to go against guards... cool. Then I also saw that it makes all Creatures slow... so other creatures entering the zone can't attack on the same turn... even better. Then I realized that I was playing a FM with his annoying Force Pull ability and that the Swamp keeps my Creatures from being pulled out of the zone... I'm sold. Send me a dozen.

Maybe it was just a niche application that night... but I'm wondering whether anyone else may have any Swamp success stories. If so, with which Mage? I was playing a Necro that time.

Anyone?

wtcannonjr:
I have an Arena Druid spellbook that uses Swamp and Elephant Grass along with a Shoalsdeep Crocodile. The Academy Druid has some additional spells that should combo nicely with this terrain, but I have not updated my spellbooks yet.

The Swamp spell also combines with the Whirlpool for added damage and restricting movement. The Druid is the only mage fully trained in the Swamp spell so I primarily use it with that mage. However, it also fits with Siren strategies and has general application for other mages as you point out above.

SirJasonCrage:
Johktari can walk into swamp and still act.

She also has synergies with crocs and falcons, who don't care about swamp.

Not getting Pulled is also a nice thing if you have a bow equipped and want to stay away. If you place two swamps in the center zones you can walk from one to the other and basically make melees worthless.

DaveW:
One thing that I didnt note earlier, is that having Slow from the swamp doesn't impede Zombies when using Zombie Frenzie.

Kelanen:
Also remember anything can walk out of the swamp and act normally...

Swamp would see a lot more use if Steep Hill didn't exist. It's not a bad card at all, but it needs specific combos, the hill is generally better to slow offense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version