March 28, 2024, 06:56:41 AM

Author Topic: Match-Protocol 01.11. Aridigasfan Straywood vs SirJasonCrage Arraxian Crown  (Read 5726 times)

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
So after that quick beat-down match we immediately staged a rematch. I told him to take a good book, because I was using my favorite.
So the basic idea behind my book is to teach me how to use creatures. I'm too dumb for that, playing mainly solo mages and getting slapped whenever I try to do buddies or swarms. If it's at least with my best mage, I thought to myself, I might just get the gist of the basic playstyle. It has Mhegedden, an Afflicted Demon, a Grey Wraith, Drokarr, Goran, a Lava Golem and a Fire Elemental. (No, I do not expect to ever summon all of these. I think of this as a versatile toolbox)

So I start with move down and Doubleflower (B2 and C1). He opens with move up, to build Lair (B3) and harmonize it.
My usual T2 would be Mhegedden into forge, but with such dedication to the spawnpoint, I switch to Mhegedden and an Idol of Pestilence into the deliberately left empty A1. He opens with a Wychwood Hound (WWH) from Lair, then moving into Lair zone to get a beast ring and summon another WWH.

Lair summoned another WWH. I conjured a forge into my Zone (B1) and placed Chains of agony onto one of the hounds. One hound moved into B2 to guard, the other followed him to attack flower for 4 dmg. Beastmaster followed, enchanted me and summoned another WWH.

His lair summoned a Thunderift falcon. I considered preparing my Grey Wraith and prepared the Afflicted Demon instead. My forge equipped some cheap leather onto me. I let him move in and use his actions to attack me, then summoned the Afflicted Bloodreaper and used Death Link on one of the WWH.

For a while, the match turned into a brawl in that zone, with me trying to kill his creatures with Mhegedden, a bloodthirsting Afflicted and a Hellfire Lash, while trying to tank up and protect my 29 hp ass through Regrowth, Bloodreaper-Attacks and hopefully more Death Links. Joke's on me though, he never summoned anything big enough to warrant Death link, nor left me without Pblood for any extended amount of time.
He, on the other hand, used Pbloods, Rusts and his creatures, in conjunction with his own melee Attacks to damage me, while armoring up against the attacks from my Afflicted Bloodreaper. When he had 2 Weaks on him, he ceased the attempts to melee me.

The game ended with a masterstroke from Aridigasfan. He had previously moved up into A1, then A2 to get rid of the 7 dice Afflicted Reaper-Attacks, since bloodthirst pretty much nailed that Demon into the Battle Zone. I was at a dangerously low point, he was in Semi-Danger with 3 armor at that point and mid-twenties of damage on him. I was still in B1, the battlefield of that match.

I had a Dispel wand and just equipped a dark cloak. Everything I did after Deploy was stupid and useless though, or rather, brilliantly countered by my opponent. His lair had finally summoned Slavörg, so Instead of using Ghoul Rot onto the enemy Mage, I used Death Link on the Kitty, then moved down to C1 and removed Pblood. After that, I had rust, a corrode, Hauberk, one Leather part and Regrowth on me.

Aridigasfan had completely read me, moving a Lynx (with 2 damage from idol) to attack my Afflicted demon (brought that one to 7 damage) and, via bloodthirst, Nail it to that zone. As his QC, he followed that up with a Deathlock into A3. Mhegedden, with him in A2 had the options of attacking him or the Deathlock. I chose the mage and brought him up to 28. He then moved down into B2. My Afflicted Demon slaughtered the Lynx, for all the good that did me.

The final turn was a good old round of Rock Paper Scissors. I had no armor, 5 hp left and no way to get that Deathlock lifted. His Initiative.
I had no Push, no Tangle. I could Enfeeble him, but if he only goes for a boulder, he will move and then throw it. I had to assume that he would play around enfeeble. I decided to look at his Lair, then decide whether to Equip a fire Ring from Forge and throw a lucky Fireball (against 3 armor and 7 remaining hp) or use my QC to dispel Rust and then... hope to survive his one shot, enfeeble him afterwards and walk away to kill him during the next turn.

My hopes were thwarted. His lair did nothing. I dispelled Rust, he moved and used his 9 mana to throw an Acid ball for no damage and two corrodes, as well as a Geyser, that brought me to 1 hp remaining.
With a Deathlock on the board.
And my own Idol of Pestilence.

Out of options, because I couldn't afford my fireball any more, I simply walked into his zone and Attacked with Lash. It dealt 4 damage and gave him 2 burns. He then killed me with a Lynx.

Noteworthy:
Idol of Pestilence has nice synergy with Bloodthirst but I still think, in hindsight, the Grey Wraith would have been better to defend me, while also immune to Idol.
I'm too scared to bet my life on a Fireball.
Early pressure always fucks me. My opener with doubleflower into Forge/Idol and Mhegedden basically leaves me helpless. Even more than helpless if it's Idol.
Maybe I should have Skipped Mhegedden and Teleported a Lava Golem into the Lair zone instead. I did that once and found it hilarious.
Aridigasfan played the match pretty much flawlessly.
Death Link is dumb against swarmy little critters. Especially when there's focus on my mage. Of course I'll eat Pbloods.
I'm a bit bummed out because I consider that my most favorable matchup.
Losing this one was much more enjoyable than winning the one before it with Pillar.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:03:33 PM by SirJasonCrage »

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
I am really enjoying these writeups.

Keep 'em coming!

I think that Mhegedden's life cost is too much to wear when you combine it with Bloodreapers. Especially if you then double down with your own IoP.

(Frankly, I think that Mhegedden is a waste of time and effort in almost all cases. He saves you some mana now, but can't do anything other than weaken you for three turns, and when he gets active is almost certainly a long way away from the fighting. Almost always better to save some mana for three turns and then put down a new creature at the front line, and possibly rouse it.)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Oh lordy, I think we could make a whole thread about the sense or nonsense of Mhegedden.

I like him because his low cost allows me to go for a more expensive creature on the very next turn, like Goran, my Drokarr or the lava golem in a nice countermatchup. He's also ridiculously strong, if we're honest. Those hp + armor values with an elusive 5 dice attack are a dream. Him and Goran, for example, is a force to be feared.

Hes teaching me the hard way that I'm a cripple for my first three turns though, as we especially saw in this match. If I'm going to change my opening though, I'm still keeping him and maybe switching out a mana flower.

As for the Bloodreaper: Yeah, it gets me down to 29 health with an afflicted, 28 even if it's my Drokarr. I'm still rather confident I can pull it off, with afflicted and Grey Wraith spreading weaks to complement my Agonies and Debilitate, while Bloodreaper, Regrowth, Death Link, Theft of life and Vampirism keep me in a sweet spot. I do get rather susceptible to a double-boulder snipe though, correct on that front.
Gets rather funny when my Bloodreaper dies and I reanimate it with another Bloodreaper marker though :D

Funny enough, I think that using heal spells on Ehren is never worth it and I'm arguing the same way that saving mana and summoning a KoW instead is always better. Looks like I'm biased towards Mhegedden.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Mheg has elusive and gets his 5dice at the beginning. He can use battle fury, ehren cannot. Mheg has 3 armor to ehren's 2. Extra actions from your mage is more costly than 6 life initially. It makes sense, but the deception is that by the end of the game, the 6 life is more costly than the actions.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Why not use Sersiryx to help with channeling and casting curse spells? He is very flexible in switching to offensive mode if you pack extra flame attack spells at levels 1-2. He can even cast the Bloodthirsty Lust curse on friendly creatures for extra attack dice.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Because Sersiryx doesn't fit the book. I have good channeling and Ihave the actions to cast curses and fire, since I'm mostly trying to not be in the middle of battle.

Taking Sersiryx means I get one less fighter creature out and it also means I need to engage and protect him as soon as he inevitably gets Chant of Raged. He also eats Mana like it's candy and I already need to sustain my Grey Wraith in most matches, while saving enough juice for Fireballs and Death Links.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Mheg has elusive and gets his 5dice at the beginning. He can use battle fury, ehren cannot. Mheg has 3 armor to ehren's 2. Extra actions from your mage is more costly than 6 life initially. It makes sense, but the deception is that by the end of the game, the 6 life is more costly than the actions.

Both creatures are bought on layby (what you folks term layaway, I believe). And as with all such purchases, the interest charges that accrue on top of the upfront payment are the trap and lead to a much greater total cost.

Yes, I suppose Mhegedden might be ok if the Warlock also forgoes the life losses from bringing in Bloodreapers, but when you combine them... phew.

(But then, I come from a place where even my Dark mages often start out with a Sunfire Amulet, so clearly I rate Life as REALLY important.)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Because Sersiryx doesn't fit the book. I have good channeling and Ihave the actions to cast curses and fire, since I'm mostly trying to not be in the middle of battle.

Taking Sersiryx means I get one less fighter creature out and it also means I need to engage and protect him as soon as he inevitably gets Chant of Raged. He also eats Mana like it's candy and I already need to sustain my Grey Wraith in most matches, while saving enough juice for Fireballs and Death Links.
I see. I missed the part where you didn't want the mage in the middle of battle. That seems counter to the Battle Skill mage ability of the Arraxian Crown Warlock. I assumed he would relish the chance to cast two curse spells and attack in a round to maximize the use of his ability card.

Good luck with your strategy!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin