April 23, 2024, 11:41:09 AM

Author Topic: ACG's Custom Spells and Mages  (Read 344540 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: ACG's Custom Spells and Mages
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »
I'd be cautious with those.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2014, 02:33:53 PM »
why is that?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
ACG's Custom Spells and Mages
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
Because the original card art is copyrighted. We need to be able to tell the difference between real mage wars cards and those not created by arcane wonders. Otherwise people might confuse fan cards, counterfeit cards and proxies with real cards.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:30:04 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
Simply writing fan art would solve that. Like promo cards have logo.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
We need a spoiler tag enabled. So many images   :o
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
Updates of old cards:

Some new cards, including help for the Priest (Malakai's Oath) and Johktari (Levitation Boots)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
It's been a while, but I have some updates and a few new cards to share.

First, the updates:

These are designed to balance the cards and bring them more into line with official rules (for instance, removing enchantment/attack spell/incantation immunity on the golem, which has no official precedent.

Atraxus - minor change (mainly, removed intercept for balancing)
Berserker Frenzy - reformatted. Now it behaves more like an ongoing battle fury. It still fulfulls the original purpose of making the gorilla more attractive as a creature.
Bog Mummy - original version was awkwardly worded. This one is more straightforward, and still innovative - a creature spawnpoint, which can cast spells and move/attacks at the same time! Note the limitation on casting range.
Grarhk - I think this rewording demonstrates the power of a simple innovation in mechanical description - the use of "Special" as a placeholder for an ability described below. This would simplify the number of keywords players have to know - for instance, thornlasher is the only creature with the snatch ability, so why not give it "Special" instead and describe the ability below? This card illustrates the power of this simple technique.
Harshforge Golem - with the advent of Harshforge, many of my magisbane cards make more sense rethemed as harshforge cards. Here is the first one. The golem now provides warlords with a another punishing counter to heavily enchanted creatures.
Mirror World - rewritten once again. Now it is more like the original incarnation, but taking advantage of the dissipate trait. Basically, the Illusionist's spawnpoint. No longer turns illusion creatures into cantrips, though.

And two new cards:

Amulet of Haste - Ever since seeing the new wizard, I wondered how the hourglass would work. Here is my interpretation. It lets you bank a turn for later, which could be quite powerful (hopefully balanced by the need to use a full action and the inability to stockpile hasted turns.
Alt Wizard - This is mostly a way for me to showcase the "Memory Furnace" ability, which turns your unused spells into usable mana. Might be OP in current incarnation, but that just means it needs tweaking. Original mechanic gave mana equal to the level of the obliterated spell, which is way too powerful.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
I just made a druid and I wanted a magisbane lily

I would have paid 2nature and 7 mana, though i still say it should have an ethereal attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
Thank you for the pricing feedback.

Strange, I thought I had given it an ethereal attack, but you're right, it lacks one. I'll have to change that.

If you're just playing casually with friends, and feel like including a proxy in your book, I would be delighted to hear how it goes.

Fausto

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
Hello, I know this is an old post, but I would like to test these cards, but a lot of the images are lost :(. How can I get the images to test them? Thank you and again sorry for writing in an old post.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard