April 19, 2024, 09:01:40 AM

Author Topic: Gen Con Academy pre releases  (Read 48631 times)

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gen Con Academy pre releases
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2018, 03:59:15 AM »
I post photos of ather players, because I don't have this new sets. If people make new photos and post them, I'll add them in file. So, we can only wait...

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
It seems like Incorporeal isn't a part of Acadamy, thus the effect of Incorporeal is instead written on every card. How will this play out towards Etheraeal (which of some reason is in this Acadamy set)? I assume it won't work?

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Arcane Wonders will be giving Arcane Duels review copies of the sets in the near future.  The plan is to have the set spoilers completed and ready to post by the end of August or beginning of September.  This is theplan. Plan's are subject to change sometimes.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
i think I prefer the ants. Breaking multiple guards and probing for blocks (and the like) on multiple targets seems incredibly strong.

It would break Domination matches completely, I suspect.

"Yeah, you know that zone of yours with two guards and two On orbs controlled by you? Not any more they're not. I'll just break your Guards and turn those orbs off with this little ant thing, and then come in with my two goblin legionnaires to turn them on for me. Sorry!"
Assuming your enemy doesn't roll poorly the ants won't be able to disable both orbs. The Ants have 4 life. Both guards will damage them and at 2 hp left the ants can make only 3 attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Robintheboywonder

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2018, 10:55:57 PM »
My understanding of swarms is
1 non spell attacks cant target or affect unless stated it can hit swarms
2 non zone attacks do max of one damage

The above notes are known by looking at the swarm trait summary in the photo link. Below is what I'm assuming is also correct about swarms
1 zone attack spells will do damage shown on dice
2 zone attacks like Oscuda or Ludwig boltstorm will do damage as shown on dice
I just want to be sure any type of zone attack will hit swarms normally.

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2018, 04:16:33 AM »
My understanding of swarms is
1 non spell attacks cant target or affect unless stated it can hit swarms
2 non zone attacks do max of one damage

The above notes are known by looking at the swarm trait summary in the photo link. Below is what I'm assuming is also correct about swarms
1 zone attack spells will do damage shown on dice
2 zone attacks like Oscuda or Ludwig boltstorm will do damage as shown on dice
I just want to be sure any type of zone attack will hit swarms normally.

Close! ;)

Here is a fixed version of your summary:

1 Both non-spell attacks and spell attacks can target and affect swarms, but do a maximum of 1 dmg 
2 non-attack spells (i.e. enchants, incantations, etc.) cannot target or affect swarms, unless specifically stated
3 zone attack spells will do damage shown on dice
4 zone attacks like Oscuda or Ludwig boltstorm will do damage as shown on dice

And we can add some more pointers:

5 swarms are immune to condition markers
6 swarms have finite life
7 swarms cannot guard
8 and then finally, swarms gain additional strikes equal to remaining life

Lots of very specific rules.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:37:22 AM by keejchen »
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2018, 04:24:42 AM »
By the way: Usually innate life bypasses finite life, so I'm wondering how Etherian Lifetree interacts with the swarms. Seems like they would get life this way since they are living, and thus gain additional strikes, but I'm sure that isn't right. Right?  ???

Edit: I see Santar and Farkas already pointed this out, but seems like no one has adressed it yet?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:28:36 AM by keejchen »
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Robintheboywonder

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
Keejchen thanks for clearing up what attacks can or cant target swarms. Every attack can target them but damage dealt will differ depending on the type of attack. The points 5-8 I left out only because I was focusing on how swarms treat attacks against them but they are important for knowing what all a swarm is capable of doing, receiving or negating.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2018, 11:37:42 PM »
Yep Keejchen swarms gain life and gain additional strikes with this combo.  There is a way to get killer bee swarms up to 9 dice critical.  I’m gonna let the forums figure out what other cards can combo to make additional strikes up to 9.  I think they can get up to 10 but need to clarify if that is possible.  10 die critical attacks is possible now!   :o
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:01 AM »
Killer bees base = 4 attacks

Potion of rage + 1
Bim + 1
Both players play life tree + 4
Scout + 1
Marked for death + 1

So maximum with these cards is 12 and 10 if your opponent doesn’t play tree.

zzzPAXzzz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2018, 04:20:29 AM »
IMO killer bees are way to OP by the fact that their attach is critical AND melee. Range would have been good enough ... Also that they only take one dmg per attack is ridiculous... with only lifetree you get them to 5 health and you need to hit these FLYING beasts 5 times if you don’t wanna waste a zone attack ....what a waste of actions ... and don’t forget that Dorseus (bypass the finite life) may heal these bastards. Nature school already has soo many good cards. Why on earth do we need more of those cards? Compared to the war school it is hilarious...
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
ROOAAAR — Overextend — ROOAAAR — OVERKILL

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2018, 05:58:41 AM »
Killer bees base = 4 attacks

Potion of rage + 1
Bim + 1
Both players play life tree + 4
Scout + 1
Marked for death + 1

So maximum with these cards is 12 and 10 if your opponent doesn’t play tree.
Wow!

And more than one swarm can be in play at a time? Everyone needs an Idol of Pestilence now. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2018, 06:34:47 PM »
*grumbles about the plain silliness of the concept that bee stings will be the perfect counter to zombie hordes*

I could certainly see sense in Swarms only affecting Living things. But stinging fire elementals to death? Makes no sense. What is a bee sting (or an ant bite) if not a Poison attack? 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:41:39 PM by Arkdeniz »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
*grumbles about the plain silliness of the concept that bee stings will be the perfect counter to zombie hordes*

I could certainly see sense in Swarms only affecting Living things. But stinging fire elementals to death? Makes no sense. What is a bee sting (or an ant bite) if not a Poison attack?

Wait, it affecting only Living is not the case? Geeze. Bees stinging a fire elemental to death? While in real life we use flame against insects for its crazy effectiveness. hah.

sounds like something as crazy OP as Galaxxus in Domination. The sort of thing that players agree to be banned before playing.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2018, 07:50:41 PM »
From the last documentation I have:

Swarm (Object Trait)
Creatures with the Swarm trait cannot be targeted or affected by non-attack spells that do not specifically target Swarm creatures. Creatures with the Swarm trait may make multiple additional strikes when attacking. The total number of attacks they make is equal to their remaining health. Additionally, they are immune to conditions and healing. Non-zone attacks do a maximum of 1 damage to them.

Killer Bees have 3 health. So that should be a total of 3 attacks; not a base of 1 plus remaining health of 3 in this case.

Also Hand, Marked, Scout, etc apply to the first attack made each round. So it will be 1 +X critical dice, then the additional strikes at 1 dice each as per normal. Life Tree would then extend the number of extra attacks.

Not that it helps the innital reaction to them, but that is the closest thing I have to official verbage at the moment.