April 26, 2024, 11:26:28 PM

Author Topic: Priestess  (Read 10162 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
So a few things Mage Warriors. This book is very solid with a lot of surprises and options. That being said Obsidian Soul "came of age" shall we say fighting two fantastic swarm players so I can understand his concerns regarding creatures.

Now that being said you've been out of your meta for some time my friend and even we've adapted somewhat to a more global outlook. Our books are a little different. Then again there are global books and strategies I imagine have been influenced by us. I look forward to getting some matches with you this week for mutual gain.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
And I look forward to playing this week.  As a Priestess player, I think that the book has promise, I am just offering constructive criticism.  Without an Elemental Wand and a Mage Wand though, I do not see the book having enough depth to survive.  Without the other spells, I do not see the book having enough flexibility to survive.

When it comes to absorbing damage, the Paladin, Priestess, Warlord, and Wizard have intercepting creatures that allow them to take ranged attacks for them (the Paladin and Warlord also have the ability to sport heavy armor, which makes them like very difficult to damage late game without more than two dissolves and/or more than two disenchants).  When it comes to dishing out ranged damage, the Priestess is not really the best option, as any mage with an alemental school is better at dishing out ranged damage.  The strengths of the Priestess is in surviving massive amounts of damage, as the average Priestess book can heal 40-60 damage in a game without any major effort (4 Heals and 4 Minor Heals average 56 points of healing) and a solid cast of capable creatures (Crusader Griffons, Guardian Angels, Knights of Westlock, Temple High Guards, etc).  I think that it is better to build on the strengths of the Priestess rather than to ignore them, which is why I made my suggestions.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
The element of surprise is also a useful tool. I lost a game once to a priestess that sported 4 boulders. She used everyone to kill me before my creatures could finish the game.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »
Why focus so many points on attack spells?  You could easily get more utility from putting in an Elemental Wand.

Other than I've never been a huge fan of Elemental and Mage Wands: Note that this is a Priestess that likes to play up close and personal... Elemental Wand therefore is easily Dissolved or Stolen. It also takes an extra action to bring it out that I would rather use to ramp up elsewhere. Yes, it is the same action (and mana cost) for my opponent to get rid of the wand... but I don't want to have to invest in it in game. My actions early on are used up in getting out the right mix of creatures and conjurations, and in setting up extra dice for my attacks (usually an early Ring and Hawkeye, or whatever), plus the minimum in survival spells (Robes and one piece of armor usually).

You are also quite vulnerable to ranged attacks because you are lacking a couple of Guardian Angels.

Ranged attacks don't bother me too much. Asyran Robes and Dorseus work together wonderfully, and there is healing available from Joseph Trublood and my incantations. Also, as noted before, I tend to be fairly aggressive with this book... so long range attack spells usually are no better than my cheaper eight-die Luminous Blasts when fighting in the enemy's zone, or whatever.

With only six creatures, you will also find that creature heavy books like Necromancers and Warlords will overwhelm your defenses pretty quickly without suffering much in the way of pain.  I would also suggest adding a Mage Wand and a couple of Teleports and I would replace the Colossus Belt with a Regrowth or Veteran's Belt (Priestesses should not care about condition markers, as they can remove them with minimal effort).

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried many different combinations of creatures, and settled on these (though I have revised the book to add two more creatures recently).

My main thought about Teleport: It uses a lot of mana and maybe an action that I'd like to use to attack with. If I am getting the Mage into the front lines, I don't feel as if I need one so much.

I've not really gotten to play against warlord swarms yet, but I tend to take out most swarm-type animals quickly with my ranged attacks. Nonliving creatures aren't nearly as dangerous when you have the Pillar and the attack mix in the book (Light attacks, including the Temple; Creatures that get extra dice against them; and Daze/Stun effects that limit the amount of incoming damage from affected creatures). Tsunami also is useful against any kind of non-flying swarms. At one point I had a Force Wave in the book for use in pushing smaller creatures into the Pillar or against a wall, but found that it wasn't needed. Also, Aegis is a magnificent trait when someone comes at you with a swarm. Sometimes swarms will get me, but maybe not as often as you might think.

I don't need the Regrowth Belt since there is the life gain ability from many Holy spells and the amulet, and the healing granted to me by my creatures and HoB. I don't want the Priestess to be Slammed or Stunned or whatever horrible other condition you can think of when I want to be attacking with spells or bringing out creatures on those turns. The Veteran's Belt is pretty much useless to her... she uses so little armor at any given moment, mostly relying on Aegis and healing instead.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:12:49 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »
I think that there is 24 spellpoints of bloat in the book.  Tsunami, the Pillars of Light, and the Dazzles can go (I would actually suggest two Hurl Boulders instead of a Force Hammer and a Hurl Boulder), which gives 11 spellpoints.  Collosus Belt, Eagleclaw Boots, and Resplendent Bow can go, which gives 7 spellpoints.  Resurrection and Lesser Teleports can go, which is 6 spellpoints.  Of course, this is only my opinion as a player, so take it with a grain of salt.

I actually swapped out the Force Hammer for a second Boulder in my latest revision.

Dazzle is a remarkable attack spell... think about it... unavoidable (Asp killer, etc.), ethereal, can do six dice of damage to nonliving creatures in this book (with Hawkeye, Ring, and Mal's Bassilica bonuses), all for two mana. I wish I could fit a third in.

Pillar of Light also is surprising useful. Two is the absolute minimum in my mind. Put a condition on a creature that just moved in range to attack you next turn? Absolutely!

I swapped out the Resurrection and Cheetah Speed to add two creatures (Metatron and a GA) in the latest revision also.

Lesser Teleport is helpful for positioning Artemis sometimes, or another creature that is at range two and wants to get a melee attack off in the current round.

I like the Bow, add two or three from Light plusses, and you have a nice attack at range for zero mana cost.

So many things in there that I like that you would do away with... but try it out without those things and let us know how it plays!

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
Pillar of light is better IMO then dazzle, if u enjoy bow was wondering wondering if u have tried a priest with lots of stats cards, bow and even alfia. Loads of fun sira
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
I don’t want to use Alfia until it becomes tourney legal. When I get to play it usually is in getting ready for a tournament or in helping someone else get ready for one.

I haven’t tried the Priest yet... or the Paladin.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 07:01:51 AM »
Dave... my man... my brother... you have GOT to try the priest! I think you'll love him honestly.  Especially if you like to get up close and personal. The on board daze chance and light attack from his holy pimp slap is sweet, and directly buffable with the  basillica, DB ring, Alfiya etc. Plus slapping on a burn can provide you with insane value. HA provides you with the biggest life buff in the game, which is underrated imo. I'm not saying you need to try it with this specific book, but you should do yourself a solid and give him a shake. You probably wont be disappointed. I love the priest! Badass in holy robes whi slaps the wrongdoers and sets them ablaze with his righteous fury! It's just too cool.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
Promise I will... just making a warlord for zot to beat up just now, but right after that, I'll give it some thought.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
hehe

also do want to state his priestess is legit. it has won games.