April 27, 2024, 06:27:50 AM

Author Topic: Questions about OCTGN meta  (Read 12646 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about OCTGN meta
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
Id like to see that in an Arcane Duels Video soon :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »
Unfortunately you can't have more than one seedling pod attached to any single zone. If someone in your meta is doing that the easiest way to crack that turtle is to inform him that it's not a legal move ;)
I love this game. Its awesome!

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
Unfortunately you can't have more than one seedling pod attached to any single zone. If someone in your meta is doing that the easiest way to crack that turtle is to inform him that it's not a legal move ;)

Thanks for this, our local meta is far from Turtle, so it never came up. Our local meta is one of Sprint/LesserTeleport/Turn2TurtleBusterInFarCenter.

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48:22 PM »
Id like to see that in an Arcane Duels Video soon :)

Ive seen a lot of Druid matchups on Arcane Duels and I'm shocked at how little FIRE they have to navigate. I run a Necro that is summoning Gorgon Archer in B2 on T2 and then lighting fires while you deal with a Gorgon. If you can force a Druid not to Vinetree-Cast (for lack of mana), you are doing something right.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
I mean this in the most absolute awesome of ways, so please don't be offended, but id really like to play agaist you with a druid sometime. Are you on octgn? I'm super interested in the way you guys play.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 06:23:23 PM »
@Romeoxero Was that a reply to me or to Werner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
Werner. You know full well what druids can do sailor. Lol!

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 01:29:22 PM »
I mean this in the most absolute awesome of ways, so please don't be offended, but id really like to play agaist you with a druid sometime. Are you on octgn? I'm super interested in the way you guys play.

I find upside in all things said, I have no time to take offense. My brother, Alex, just got OCTGN running (plays that aggressive Sniper/Ballista Warlord) and I've been meaning to come over and watch a few games on OCTGN. Me personally, I don't like playing Tabletop onScreen/online--Not even Catan.

Quit Mage Wars for a long time (salty over some of the decisions AW made; Bim Shala nerf should have been Holy Only, IMO... no limits (Holy needs it, IMO)). Got back in when we picked up a bulk collection for a 500% discount. Updated Bim Shala rant: Tsunami should have been and needs to be Siren Only. I digress.

Best thing about coming back? Lesser Teleport. Turn 1 Sprint and Lesser Teleport for (2) going into Turn 2 in FarCenter with 28 mana? You had better not cast that second spawnpoint/tree.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »
Wow I haven't heard somebody talk about the Bim-Shalla nerf for a long time. Personally I always thought it was a good decision to keep it as a customizable card rather then holy only. That being said it was such a huge card for the meta at the time that it felt like a similar reaction was when they did the Wizard Nerf.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »
Personally, HoBS being non unique was insanely broken. In 3 rounds a naked mage could swing 9 dice, for free, then cast a temple of light and repeatedly cast FREE 6 dice attacks with light damage and a daze stun chance evry single turn. Busted. Straight up busted. Attacks like that weren't balanced. The nerf, though really hard on the holy meta at the time, isnt that much of an impact anymore since the 2 expansions its recieved.
Maybe yhats just me tho.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
as one of the two people who inspired the nerf ruling at origins 2013, I would like to say I think the ruling was both required, and sufficient. I think it struck a great balance to the card. elegant. good ruling on battle fury for the same reason, as well as the temple of light. very few things (now not as much ) were allowed to have an effect and not cost some mana. so the temple ruling was great imo. holy absolutely does not need help. it is very competitive.

I also think same with the wizard training ruling. elegant. needed badly. makes all schools feel much more unique as a result. very much opened up the design space for new mages without having to always work around how the wizard would always be better at some elemental school than the new mage being designed. the tower ruling however may have been just a little too much. it definitely needed to be changed. but they tried to avoid a complete rewrite of the card I would guess. I think that it may have been better to serve as a stationary wand. no changing of the spell or perhaps require a quick spell action and mana to swap the spell for a new one. still nice, but not broken. in that case would be more like the nature conjurations that can be used when they are cast. now no one really uses them any more. as a stationary familiar its usefulness has been cut too far. but hey all of the other updates were super strong, so one a little too far off can easily be forgiven rather than leave the tower as it was in its uber power.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »
I think the one issue with the Temple of Light ruling is that Ballista and Akiro's Hammer don't require mana, just can only be used every other round. Ballista is 5 every other round with piercing 3 and doesn't need any buffs. Temple could be 1 die every round for free or youd have to buff it with multiple zone exclusives to get more dice. I think paying mana in addition to that was a bit much if Ballista/Hammer are free actions.

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 07:29:53 AM »
Personally, HoBS being non unique was insanely broken. In 3 rounds a naked mage could swing 9 dice, for free...

A 3-Melee Mage cloaked in +6 Melee (HoBS) has paid 30 mana and 6 actions. Nothing in Mage Wars is free. Heck, I'd take 3 Lightning Bolts in 2-turns over 6 HoBS in 3-. It will more greatly effect the other mage's spellbook selection/AP. Not to mention 2 lightning bolts on Turn 2 (sprint / force push opener) greatly reduces the odds of more HoBS.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:42:37 AM by werner »

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
I was fine with Temple of Light nerf. And Battle Fury nerf. But I feel Rushdown (SprintForcePush / SprintOGTeleport) already balanced HoBS spam perfectly. If you lost to a Mage who casted 6 HoBS, you did a lot wrong that game; starting with allowing all that cheese to happen.

I feel Holy Only was the proper nerf as HoBS really finds Added Value in 4-melee-Mage books.

IF/WHEN Tsunami is nerfed, please consider Siren Only (it's too much Added Value for Druids).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:36:02 AM by werner »

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 07:59:15 AM »
I was fine with Temple of Light nerf. And Battle Fury nerf. But I feel Rushdown (SprintForcePush / SprintOGTeleport) already balanced HoBS spam perfectly. If you lost to a Mage who casted 6 HoBS, you did a lot wrong that game; starting with allowing all that cheese to happen.

I feel Holy Only was the proper nerf as HoBS really finds Added Value in 4-melee-Mage books.

IF/WHEN Tsunami is nerfed, please consider Siren Only (it's too much Added Value for Druids).
Is Druid the only mage you are concerned about running Tsunami?
The Phoenix shall rise.