March 28, 2024, 02:10:00 PM

Author Topic: Eye for an Eye and damage type  (Read 3390 times)

Keystone

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Eye for an Eye and damage type
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Hello,

Asked this one in OCTGN yesterday, but no one had a definite answer from the top of their heads.

Situation: a Flaming Hellion is attacking Alandell that reveals Eye for an Eye attached to him. Is the damage reflected even though the Hellion is immune to the inflicted damage type? I think this is clear in the case of Reverse Attack, as the whole attack is reversed, but Eye for an Eye only reflects the inflicted damage and effects.

The text in Eye for an Eye is clear enough, but the question is if the type of the damage is carried over when the reflecting happens.

This seems as another RAI/RAW thing, as I see two possibilities:

1) When Eye for an Eye reflects damage, the type doesn't matter anymore, it is only "damage", without the associated damage type. Therefore as per the example mentioned above, flame damage is inflicted, but just "damage" is reflected, bypassing the flame immunity. Effects, burn in this case, are still probably ignored, as the Hellion is unable to gain flame-associated conditions.

2) The same damage type is reflected, and Hellion ignores this as it has flame immunity

This may be theoretical in part, because Eye for an Eye is not a mandatory reveal. Still, the core question is if the elemental damage type, not just "damage", gets reflected by Eye for an Eye.
"So what are you going to cast? A Tanglevine? A Stranglevine! Tanglevine's cousin!"

-Alwinkristen, as I used Stranglevine for the first time

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Eye for an Eye and damage type
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »
option 1.  the resultant dmg is assigned to source. untyped. had a burn been inflicted then a burn goes on source. if source is burnproof the burn does not get applied.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
Zot's right. Eye for an Eye is a nasty little surprise and awesome for killing resilient and Incorporeal creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »
Zot's right. Eye for an Eye is a nasty little surprise and awesome for killing resilient and Incorporeal creatures.

I 100% know the intent of the card was to have the attacker "receive what you receive".

Final print copy? I'm not so sure.

Eye for an Eye effect happens in the "Damage and Effects" step.

"The attacker suffers the same damage and effect as the defender", including normal damage (with a type) , critical damage (with a type), and effects.

All it says is suffers the same damage. I know we specifically talked about it needing to get around armor but the final printed version doesnt really show a clarity or support for resilient or immunities.

zombie brute attacks Asyrna Defender. Defender reveals Eye, brute rolls 4 normal damage and brute and defender take 4 normal damage; and resilient protects the brute...

The hellion could recieve 1 critical fire damage and 3 normal fire damage and a burn....

Devouring Jelly can't hurt himself with eye for an eye, nor recieve corrodes effect due to his immunity.

So once again, the Intent? Eye bypasses ; in reality ? The card doesnt say that.

So thinking on it a bit more I wanted to throw up what is happening

Attacker rolls 4 normal and 1 critical. The normal "hits" are added up and subtracted by the armor and that much normal damage is applied to both creatures. the critcal "hit" is added and converted to damage and applied to both tatgets. Effect is rolled, if applicable, and applied to both creatures.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:38:54 PM by Kharhaz »

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 02:27:03 PM »
I think the story is clear here: if you make me wrong, GOD wil make the same to you.
The only imunity applyable would be a GOD imunity (holly imunity or retributuon imunity)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:35:09 AM »
This is clearly covered in the Official Rules and Codex Supplement, if people want to give it a read. Zot is correct, the damage is untyped.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »
damage untyped and no targetting: does it mean that my god-imunity would be useless too?

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
This is clearly covered in the Official Rules and Codex Supplement, if people want to give it a read. Zot is correct, the damage is untyped.

Ahh good deal, glad that intent was placed somewhere.