April 29, 2024, 05:26:09 AM

Author Topic: commander's cape  (Read 7136 times)

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: commander's cape
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by giving hidden enchantments traits, though. Clearly haven't managed to get my head around that bit.

And as far as Izimbila goes, her subtype text only matters during spellbook creation. Once the game starts and the mage is on the board, the seeming option provided by the card's subtype text is moot. See here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=18390.msg87528#msg87528   

Monolith gives all enchantments (hidden and revealed) the upkeep +1 trait.

You cannot say in the one hand that the hidden enchantment "with no effect on the battle" and have a situation where it costs a mana each round via the upkeep trait in the other.

Izzy is weird becuase , there is nothing RAW that actually says that Izzy would maintain her soldier status if I animate dead her for example. That is the intent but it's just not there becuase instead of saying, "the owner (a keyword)...." Mage Wars uses the terms "this mage, your mage, the controller, and so on interchangably". Those types of interactions are what I was reffering to with her and we all know intent but there is technically no RAW to 100% clarify it.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
Izzy would have the subtype as long as you controlled it... from spellbook building on. If another Mage took control of Izzy somehow, then it would lose the subtype (and potentially gain a different one, depending on who the new controller is).

At no time does training ever cease to exists.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
Izzy would have the subtype as long as you controlled it... from spellbook building on. If another Mage took control of Izzy somehow, then it would lose the subtype (and potentially gain a different one, depending on who the new controller is).

At no time does training ever cease to exists.

It's not a training issue, its an ability issue.

Step 4: Resolve Spell
At this point, the spell takes effect. The spell type (e.g.,
conjuration) and the text on the spell card determine the
effects of the spell. If you have cast an attack spell, you must
now resolve the attack.

RAW? I would say she absolutely does not gain additional trainings until she is resolved.

Her ability text is never RAW applied to her until after she is cast. It's not something like X = where the X is the actual casting cost and is explained later in the card. This is an ability, that technically should not exist until after she resolves. However, since she can be cast from lair / barracks we have to assume that this ability is special and works via the owner and additional schools, if applicable based on mage training, is always taken into account from an "owner" perspective.

Because, even though the control has changed, via reanimate, mind controller, or whatever, ownership does not.

All that could be cleared up if an X was in the subtype and then an ability text like, " If Izzy's owner is trained in.<insert school here>. X = <insert subtype here> " Owner is described in the codex and there is no issue since there is at least some precedent with the X = scenario.

It doesn't say that however and when I explained that to players, there is nothing in the rules to say she should work like that. There is no X in her subtype and there are no rules to support her being able to be cast from the lair / barracks aside from intent.

End of the day card abilities should trigger in the resolve spell set and not in the spellbook creation stage.

The simplest solution is to give her both subtypes and have her ability read "If the mage is not trained in war she loses the soldier subtype" and so on.

Either way,
These are not the droids we're looking for; Move along.

#endRant

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 05:16:24 AM »
The problem is that the game uses the same text box for three different purposes and doesn't really have a way to delineate which is which. It can be used to:

1. Describe spell effects. This is the most common and intuitive use, describing what the spell actually does, and these effects don't apply until the spell resolves. Before then, this text basically doesn't exist.

2. Describes special rules on how to cast the spell. This text usually modifies the cost or targeting in some way, and applies during the steps prior to spell resolution.

3. Describes details that are always in effect, even when sitting in your spellbook or in the discard pile. This is apparently the category of Izimbila's ability.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »
isn't "you" the controler?
in this case Izi should change subtype when changing controller and have no subtype when uncontrolled (spellbook, discard,...)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they originally have traits that affect Spellbook building like epic and novice a different color than other traits? Gray instead of black? Why not do the same thing here with Izimbilla's subtype effect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.