April 18, 2024, 03:50:15 AM

Author Topic: Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shella and Eye for an Eye  (Read 7288 times)

Skra

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shella and Eye for an Eye
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:48:28 AM »
Can the familiar, Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shella, cast the Eye for an Eye Enchantment?

The Eye for an Eye Enchantment has the text, "Holy Mage Only" written on it, but I'm not sure if that means only Holy mages may have it in their spellbook or if that means only Holy Mages may cast it.
It'd be a lot cooler if you did...

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shella and Eye for an Eye
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:00 AM »
Cassiel can only cast Healing and Protection spells. Eye for an Eye is neither of those (it is a Retribution spell), so the question is moot - she cannot cast it.

However, had EfaE been a Protection spell (for example), there would have been no reason why she could not cast it. Only spells listed as "Magecast" are mage-only and forbidden to Familiars.

The 'Holy Mage Only' note merely indicates that the spell cannot be included in the spellbook of a non-Holy mage.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
So, this might muck things up a bit, but for the sake of complete and accurate information, the "Holy Mage Only" restriction does prevent a few things other than just including it in your spellbook. Per the Supplement, this restriction prevents a non-Holy Mage from including the spell in their spellbook, casting the spell during the game, or controlling the spell during the game.

That said, Arkdeniz's answer is still correct. Familiars essentially check back with their Mage regarding Mage restrictions. Think of them as an extension of the Mage, casting the spell on behalf of their Mage. So, Holy Mage Only is not a problem for Cassiel. But the subtypes of Eye for an Eye are. She can't cast it because it's neither Healing or Protection.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:17:49 PM »
Arkdeniz enjoy your first sticker!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Woot!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
Believe me if Eye for an Eye could be cast by Cassiel I'd hold Heal in my hand and just let people punch me constantly.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Skra

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
Believe me if Eye for an Eye could be cast by Cassiel I'd hold Heal in my hand and just let people punch me constantly.

That was what I was trying to determine if I could do. Hahaha.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the answers everyone.
It'd be a lot cooler if you did...