April 25, 2024, 10:23:33 AM

Author Topic: About the Paladin...  (Read 14799 times)

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: About the Paladin...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 03:19:58 PM »
The main problem with Challenge, as I see it, is that its buff to the enemy actively discourages the Paladin from being heroic.

A classic Paladin wants to engage with the biggest, meanest enemy. The Paladin stands tall on the field against the dragon.

The Challenge instead suggests that what the MW Paladin wants to do is bully the little stuff that won’t punch back very hard, if they get a chance to do so at all.

So instead of fighting the dragon, he waves his sword at the goblin grunt.

I would have preferred a character power that gave a straight bonus (such as melee +1 and a Valour) when the Paladin engages with the strongest enemy creature.

Like "...when the Paladin melee attacks and damages the strongest enemy creature, he gains 1 Valor."?!
:)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
Well, yes.

I should possibly have been clearer that the straight bonus should be for the Pally only, and not come with a boost to the enemy.

The Paladin should be out there fighting Adremalech rather than the goblin, but being the Mage it is unlikely to do so since it does not want to face that boosted counterattack.

I think the Red Helm power is actually a better implementation of what the Pally’s power could have been.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »
Well, yes.

I should possibly have been clearer that the straight bonus should be for the Pally only, and not come with a boost to the enemy.

The Paladin should be out there fighting Adremalech rather than the goblin, but being the Mage it is unlikely to do so since it does not want to face that boosted counterattack.

I think the Red Helm power is actually a better implementation of what the Pally’s power could have been.
I honestly hate anything related to strongest since I find it is pretty easily worked around.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »
Well, yes.

I honestly hate anything related to strongest since I find it is pretty easily worked around.

That is because you lose the positioning game. I feel like I say this over and over. It's not the dice you have on the table - - it's how you use them.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »
Well, yes.

That is because you lose the positioning game. I feel like I say this over and over. It's not the dice you have on the table - - it's how you use them.
That's kind of exactly my point Puddn. It's why I take issue with "how many dice can I throw" strategies.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »
And I'm saying learn the positioning game and "strongest"  will be very useful.  8)