April 18, 2024, 02:22:36 PM

Author Topic: Elementalist  (Read 8612 times)

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Elementalist
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »
Elementalist
32 Life 10 Mana
Training: all 4 elements and level 2 Arcane

Attributes
Elemental Master: The elementalist is specialized in one of the elementary school, in this school all the spells cost 1 mana less for him and all level 1 attack spells from the chosen elementary school are treated as if they had cantrip.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Elementalist
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
Well, with the greater utility of Elemental Spells with the addition of Siren versus Paladin, I think that an Elementalist should only have training in the 4 Elements (Siren only had Water, Pirates, and Songs, after all) and be required to pay triple points for non-Elemental spells.  I think that the Elementalist should have two special abilities.  The first special ability would be Elemental Master, which would reduce the mana cost associated with the spells of their favored Element by two (the reduction occurring for Enchantments only when revealed).  The second special ability would be Elemental Resistance, which would give them (Favored Element)-2.  I think that Channeling 10 and Life 32 would be appropriate though.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »
Tematically, it would certainly be logical that an elemetntalist mastered at least the basics of the arcan school. Especially the "Elemental Cloak" he should be able to use in school.

You are right that he probably should not be trained in the arcana school because of the power level.

I think two mana less for his specialization is too much.

The "Elemental Resistance" is a good idee.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »
I think that you could make the Elementalist proficient in level 1 Arcane spells without unbalancing things too much as long as you made him pay triple spell points for non-Elemental and non-Arcane spells.  Perhaps an alternative to the mana cost reduction would be giving him +1 attack dice and +1 effect die on attack spells from his favored element?

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
1 more dmg and effect dice is stronger than paying one less mana, I think that's too strong, he could have a ring just for elementalist that gives him that.
I think that is a good idea to give him arcane level 1 or (even level 2) and for that triple the costs for rest of spells, an elementalist also abandons his elemental spells.

As a bonus, he could look out for a level 1 spell of his favored element school that gets cantrip.
Or, before the game starts, he can tie a level 1 attack spell to his Mage, just as you bind a spell to a wand.

He is so good at casting this one attack spell, he can cast the spell like in sleep.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
I think that it would be better to give him an Elemental Blast attack similar to the Wizard's innate ranged attack, just with a different flavor for each favored element (Push 7+ for Air, Daze 7+ for Earth, Burn 7+ for Fire, and Slam 7+ for Water).

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
It would be simpler in any case, but would not be cooler from the existing spells, to search the right spell for you.
The elementalist would be the magic with the most choices,

Which elementary school do I take? And which attack spell?