April 19, 2024, 05:35:37 PM

Author Topic: favorite conjuration  (Read 18113 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Re: favorite conjuration
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Altar of Skulls is actually quite good in multiplayer Domination and becomes the thing everyone else has to focus on immediately - mainly because cheap low-health living creatures are common in Domination.

I have found that Domination games are over too quickly for the Altar of Skulls to be really effective. In my normal 3-player set up with an 11-point win condition the game is often over in about turn 7. if you say the Altar starts operating in turn 3 that would make 8 points of poison damage on everyone. No worries for a mage, and probably not too much concern for a fair few of the other creatures running around.

And now to put myself very much at the end of Zot's line:

I consider Renewing Spring to be a little undercooked. Being static it means that creatures will usually have to step out of the line in order to use it, and move again to get back in line. Losing an attack or a guard action to get 3 dice of healing is rarely worth it, in my view. I'd rather swing for a 6 dice attack of my own and have my mage prepare to put out another creature.   

When it comes to my favourite conjuration, I probably can't go past the good old fashioned Battleforge. Saves my mage the need to use its own spell actions to put out the little equipment (or doubles the speed of kitting up). Lovely.   

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
Don't forget that the renewing spring also lets you remove a condition marker. Plus if you burn your full action using a zone attack to try and kill a bunch of creatures all at once, they can cast the spring and just heal up that damage one for one and be fresh and ready to come back I  the fight. It works best for swarms but ies a great way to pop off corrode, burn,  or the like and heal up for cheap. And it's reusable. I used to feel the same way but then i went to gen con and saw it get amazing use. It legitimately is a great card
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 11:09:30 PM »
Don't forget that the renewing spring also lets you remove a condition marker. Plus if you burn your full action using a zone attack to try and kill a bunch of creatures all at once, they can cast the spring and just heal up that damage one for one and be fresh and ready to come back I  the fight. It works best for swarms but ies a great way to pop off corrode, burn,  or the like and heal up for cheap. And it's reusable. I used to feel the same way but then i went to gen con and saw it get amazing use. It legitimately is a great card

Hadn't thought of that style of use. I can see merit in it. But would not the enemy be able to take advantage of the swarm being tied up for a turn through, for instance, readying and using another area attack (which would get the Spring as well), getting better board position or buffing/healing/summoning? I could even see Sardonyx having fun (and being of use!) in a zone containing a damaged swarm and a Spring. 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 01:42:05 AM »
I mean... yes? Lol nobody plays sardonyx. And if you we're facing off against the big dead dragon then renewing spring wouldn't have been a good choice in the first place. It isn't heart for absolutely everything but it's pretty baller for what you get. 6 mana for 12 health? Sure ill take that
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 06:12:53 AM »
I think Battleforge is by far the best conjuration.

It's 3 mana more than a Mana Crystal, but comes with a very useful action each turn. It's in about 75% of my books, even when it's triple cost.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
this thread is about your second and third favorite conjuration after renewing spring not a power discussion.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
My favourite cards are powerful cards. There is nothing else to like IMO. The questions are identical.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
I'm adding renewing spring to my main book and gonna see how it does. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
I get that Renewing Spring works well with Falcon swarms, since (a) they're swarmy (e.g. if you're playing them, you're probably playing 6 of them), (b) they're Flying = rarely hindered, and (c) they're Fast, so they can usually travel up to 2 zones when fleeing trouble, then heal for 3 dice in the same action; then next round they fly up to 2 zones to return to battle and attack for 1 action. Combine with Charge +X bonuses from a Totem and this gets quite deadly... (and of course just move out + in to attack with Charge +X bonuses on rounds when the Falcon doesn't need to heal) which was the theme of a GenCon winner's book.

Does the Spring work well with any other swarmy creatures? Foxes are Fast but not (inherently) Elusive, so they are generally limited to 1 zone if they want to flee battle and drink from the Spring. Goblins can be Elusive through Slaknir, but they aren't (inherently) Fast, so they're still limited to 1 zone if they want to flee battle and go for a drink.

Cervere, or almost any living buddy with Mongoose/Cheetah enchantments, could flee up to 2 zones to heal for 3 dice. Combine with a Regen enchantment and it could heal for ~5 on rounds that it drinks. But you generally don't want your powerful buddy giving up its attack on a round it needs to heal, so a Mage Wand with Minor Heal, or even just a Wand of Healing (or Staff of Beasts or Emerald Elk Stave) is probably preferable to the Spring. A buddy with a powerful attack would probably benefit more from Vampirism than Renewing Spring (against living creatures at least).

Does Meredia's Blessing replace Renewing Spring in most cases? Assuming you aren't up against a more swarmy opposing mage, it lets 1 creature heal for 2, and 1 object remove a condition marker. Sure, it's 1 creature per round, so it doesn't undo a zone attack spell as quickly... but losing your attacks from every creature in a swarm for a round isn't exactly optimal either. Better to have Meredia and a couple of Mending Waves / Group Mends in your book for the times when they're needed, than to dedicate several actions to a Renewing Spring (imho).

Back to favourites... I already mentioned Idol of Pestilence (and it's big brother Altar of Skulls). I didn't mention that the Idol isn't just for Necromancers/Warlocks. I used to use it in my aggro Forcemaster builds (to speed up the match), but it also combos very nicely with any Bloodthirsty creatures - Sharks, Dire Wolves, Blood Demons, Zombies, anything with Demonic Bloodthirst... Try it in a Johktari build! Her Wounded Prey ability loves Idol, and your Dire Wolves will go bananas! You just have to make sure your own creatures aren't going to die from the Idol in the process, and there are oodles of ways you can do this (aside from / in addition to Renewing Spring).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
I have contemplated this Zot and I change my answer to Deathlock to counter Renewing Spring  :P
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Agreed that in the generic sense, Renewing Spring isn't all that...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
It depends on how and where you use Renewing Spring, really just like any conjuration.

I am going with Mohktari, Great Tree of Life... Regen 2 for a zone (including itself), and NOT zone exclusive, so you can stick it in the same zone as Renewing Spring to benefit from both when you have to get that drink.

Maybe not a great choice for use vs. a Warlock, but then Renewing Spring is that much better in that match-up due to its immunity.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
Yea I used renewing spring today it maybe saved one creature and healed my Mage 5 damage in a different game, but in the last game it  removed one burn but my tempo was crushed not getting in any armor or any other defenses, I could of won the game if I was more aggressive.  I'm saying pillar or elephant grass is my favorite too.  Renewing spring may not even in my top ten  :P
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
Elephant Grass stopped being one of my favorites when I learned a zone attack can target it first, and if it takes enough to be destroyed, the critters don't get it's benefit from the same attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
I use Mohktari in many books - anywhere I'm aiming to force a kill zone, or defend a home base. Renewing Spring I've only ever found use for in one book, and I think I tuned it out of there - certainly I rarely cast it. It's certainly not in my Top 10 Conjurations. Or 20...