April 29, 2024, 02:21:35 AM

Author Topic: When do you gain slow for the Swamp?  (Read 3357 times)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
When do you gain slow for the Swamp?
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:09:08 PM »
Ok, so from what I'm reading it sounds like you gain slow. So when leaving the zone you are slow (unless you are also fast = normal).
The question I have is does the slow come into effect once you enter the zone. Meaning, can I not attack if I move into the zone because I gain slow?

Swamp text:
   Non-Flying, non-aquatic creatures in this zone gain the slow and unmovable traits, and lose and cannot gain the elusive trait.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: When do you gain slow for the Swamp?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
You gain/lose the slow trait depending on what zone you're currently in, so it will be applied/removed during the Move Step. This means that when entering the zone, it will be applied before your move is finished, and after your move is finished you must end your activation. No extra quick action for you.

When leaving the zone, you will be freed of the slow trait before you end your movement and will be able to perform another quick action.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
Basically swamp is a good defensive terrain. It protects you from an attack when they first move in, and eliminates one of the main ways they have of getting past your guards. It does not make them stuck in the zone to help a pit trap strategy though, nor does it really offer direct offensive benefits. Though if you can use Elusive and they can't, that can be pretty nice.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
Is there any difference between the Swamp's application of the Slow trait upon entering and the Steep Hill's "Non-flying creatures require a full action to move into this zone"?

Am I reading it right that both wordings simply mean that a creature entering the zone will be unable to do anything else on arrival, but they will be able to act freely while in the Swamp/on the Hill (with the caveat about the Swamp's unmovable and non-elusive) and can move out of the zone with no ill-effects?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
Is there any difference between the Swamp's application of the Slow trait upon entering and the Steep Hill's "Non-flying creatures require a full action to move into this zone"?

Am I reading it right that both wordings simply mean that a creature entering the zone will be unable to do anything else on arrival, but they will be able to act freely while in the Swamp/on the Hill (with the caveat about the Swamp's unmovable and non-elusive) and can move out of the zone with no ill-effects?

This is a good question. The major difference between Swamp and Steep Hill is how movement works. If you are fast and gain the slow trait you can then take a second move action and move through Swamp zone or take a quick action. However on Steep Hill even if you are fast, you must still take a full action to move into that zone.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »

The difference is that a creature can move two zones (if not already Slow / Hindered / whatever) and enter the Swamp. You can not enter a Steep Hill from two zones away, as it is a full action to do so.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
Ah, those answers make sense. I should have played it out on a board a bit before I asked. Thanks DaveW and Coshade!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Just wanted to award DaveW and Zuberi for their great answers.