March 29, 2024, 12:02:30 AM

Author Topic: Anvil Throne Moves  (Read 6875 times)

Pritoos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Anvil Throne Moves
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
Hello all.

As the pool grows for every mage, and strategies are diversifying, I am lately feeling the need to be ready for different playstyles when planning battles. Not only that you might find different mages once you reach the field, but there are mages like paladin that can play absolutely different depending on the player or even the situation.

In that scenario, I am focusing more on building "moves" than building books: designing different ways to face this or that startegy, and then adding the cards needed on all of them to the book (if possible). This usually means  adding more cards to all the books and less out of school cards, to save costs. This drawbak is not so hard as before, as the pool increase also produces alternative sollutions to the different mages.

As an example, I am lately playing an Anvil Throne Warlord where I discarded all the nullifys, jinx, etc and all-but-one dispel, to save arcane extra costs, and trying to use instead harshforge monolith/harshforge plate/remove curse as alternatives. I lose a lot of good cards, but eventually I am ready to develop diferent tactical options depending on the circumstances.

This is working fine for now, and I wanted to share two different moves designed for the ATW so that you can advice on enhancement or add your opinion if you please.

Move 1: Build and hostigate.
Designed to face a defensive mage, like a Holy temple build or a control necromancer.

T1: 19 mana
Move to B4.
Action: Construction yard on C4, (-7 mana).
QC: Battleforge on B4 (- 8 mana).
remains: 4

T2: 13 mana, BF: 1, CY: 1.
Wispwillow amulet from the forge (-3)
QC: Barracks on A4 (-12)
Double move to B2.
remains: 0 mana, 0 BF, 0 CY.

T3: 10 mana, BF: 1, CY: 1. BCK: 2.
Ivarium longbow from the forge (-8)
QC: Garrison post on B2 (-4)
A: Shoot. (One option it to attack the mage, I prefer to hostigate the mana base: clerics, cristals...)
remains: 0 mana, 0 BF, 0 CY, 2 BCK.

T4: 10 mana, BF: 1, CY: 1. BCK: 5.
General signet ring from the forge (-3)
Anvil Throne Crossbowman from the garrison post (-10).
QC: Rouse the beast on ATC (-3)
A: Shoot.
remains: 0 mana, 0 BF, 1 CY, 0 BCK.

So turn 4 you will have thrown 11 dice with piercing to the mana base of your rival, while your own base has grown properly.  Of course, your rival will defend, but the target is to earn a swift leverage on these turns and then maybe concentrate on strengthen your own fortress. Destroying a cleric, a flower or an idol can be quite an asset at the first turns.

Move 2: Build and defend.
The same book can develop a different strategy against an offensive rival. Turn 1 is the same,  allowing to change the tactics depending on the movements of the opponent (if, for example, he makes a double move on turn 1 towards you).

T1: 19 mana
Move to B4.
Action: Construction yard on C4, (-7 mana)
QC: Battleforge on B4 (- 8 mana)
remains: 4

T2: 13 mana, BF: 1, CY: 1.
Meditation amulet + rune of reforging from the BF (-5)
A: Meditate (+3)
QC: Barracks on A4 (-12)
remains: 1 mana, 0 BF, 0 CY.

T3: 10 mana, BF: 1, CY: 1. BCK: 2.
General signet ring from the BF (-3)
Temple Sentry from the Barracks (-4).
A: Meditate (+3).
QC: Steadfast boots (-5).
remains: 4 mana, 0 BF, 1 CY, 0 BCK.

T4: 13 mana, BF: 1, CY: 2. BCK: 2.
Harshforge plate + Rune of defense from the BF (-9).
Knight of the Red Helm from Barracks (-7).
A: Meditate. (+3)
QC: Rouse the beast on Knight of the Red Helm (-2), [Edited to correct my mistake regarding rebuiding barracks]

remains: 1 mana, 0 BF, 2 CY, 0 BCK.

At the end of turn 4 you have protected yourself and the barracks (the two main targets your opponent could attack) fairly well, and your mana advantage would be noted. If the aggresors focus on you, you can cast defense bracers with rune on turn 5, and your soldiers can move to help. If BF has been destroyed, you can rebuild (two copies are good enough on a warlord build).

Of course, the actions of your rival could change your needs from one turn to the other, but if you can resolve the threats he displays, with the tools in these moves, you may have achieved quite a good position.

Feedback appreciated, I think these moves have still space for enhancement...

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:47:02 AM by Pritoos »

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Throne Moves
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
I hate to be a wet blanket for ya brother, but Barracks is Epic. You cannot rebuild it because you can only have one copy in the book at any time. Might need to rethink that part of the plan
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Pritoos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »
I hate to be a wet blanket for ya brother, but Barracks is Epic. You cannot rebuild it because you can only have one copy in the book at any time. Might need to rethink that part of the plan

You are definitely right! My fault.

I will edit the original post to erase the wrong reference.

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:14:21 AM by Pritoos »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »
Can you put a Barracks on A3 from B4?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Pritoos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:46:10 AM »
Can you put a Barracks on A3 from B4?

No. Typing error. It is A4.

Corrected.

Thanks!

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »

I like:

[T1, C4, 19] Move to B4 QC(Garrison Post C4) / QCToken(Garrison Post A4)
[T2, B4, 20] FC(Knight Red Helm B4) / QCT(Decoy Facedown@Knight)
[T3, B4, 19] FC(Anvil Throne Crossbow C4) / QCT(Hawkeye Facedown@Crossbow)
[T4, B4, 15] ...

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »
Uh, Werner, what would you use that start against and what do you think are the gained advantages?

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »
Uh, Werner, what would you use that start against and what do you think are the gained advantages?

I've used it against Rush and NonRush, if it takes them (2) or more attacks to chew through (1) Garrison Outpost, I view it like a better Block(Enchant). If they ignore the Garrisons, I spawn Goblin Alchemist there. So I propose the gained advantage (8 mana; two actions) as potential "bait / tanking" and/or 1-ranged summonings for missile creatures. 

Are there better openings? No doubt!