April 17, 2024, 10:12:30 PM

Author Topic: Aurora Assault Wizard (updated with the Fm and Wl sets)  (Read 6239 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Aurora Assault Wizard (updated with the Fm and Wl sets)
« on: October 06, 2017, 04:34:08 PM »
Remember the spellbook I won the gen con academy tournament with? I updated it with cards from the forcemaster and warlord sets. Tadah!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Aurora Assault Wizard[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Wizard Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[mage]A Wizard Stats Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAWLA01]3 x Firestream[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAFMA02]3 x Telekinetic Bolt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01A04]2 x Piercing Thunderstrike[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAPRC01]1 x Aurora Lucere, Dawnbreaker's Chosen[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01E14]3 x Shrink[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]3 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWDQ03]1 x Leather Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWDQ04]1 x Leather Vest[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWA01I02]3 x Disperse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I01]3 x Crumble[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 40 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Dropped gator toughness, dropped both cures, dropped both mends. Added leather belt, leather vest and 3 telekinetic bolts.
The vest is there in case they get rid of my belt or chausses and I need to have a 2nd armor again. The great thing about using leather belt instead of gator toughness is that it costs 2 less mana. Downside is, unlike gator toughness, they can get rid of it before attacking instead of having to wait for me to reveal it when they attack, but that's why I have a third leather, the vest.
Dropping the healing and cures is good because it means I dont have to break my own arcane wards on Dawnbreaker's Chosen. Instead of trying to keep her alive longer, I just include more attack spells, which I can now do because the forcemaster set came with telekinetic bolts!

Round 1: leather chausses and leather belt
Round 2: Summon Dawnbreaker's Chosen

I've already tested this once, and I can already say the difference is quite nice. One thing I noticed is that I need to be less hesitant to use shrink on major creatures even when they're not guarding, because otherwise they might focus down Dawnbreaker's Chosen too quickly, especially since I'm not using any healing spells on her.

Hope you like the new and improved Aurora Assault Wizard!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:39:41 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora Assault Wizard (updated with the Fm and Wl sets)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:19:03 AM »
How would you counter your own book? How would that change depending on different opponents?

Edit: Only thing I can think of now is some kind of mirror strategy. Armor up and attack spell Aurora down. Most of my books wouldnt be able to do this.

Swarms can be ignored by you. Trickery is warded against, big guys get shrunk. Very hard to counter this... Especially when dont react from turn 2 on.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:49:14 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora Assault Wizard (updated with the Fm and Wl sets)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
How would you counter your own book? How would that change depending on different opponents?

Edit: Only thing I can think of now is some kind of mirror strategy. Armor up and attack spell Aurora down. Most of my books wouldnt be able to do this.

Swarms can be ignored by you. Trickery is warded against, big guys get shrunk. Very hard to counter this... Especially when dont react from turn 2 on.
Killing Aurora is good. If you would rather ignore her, you can just get a tangleroot or shrink past the arcane wards. Hoodwink might be useful for this if your playing wizard, otherwise you can use reveal magic. Healing spells are also very useful for outlasting the Aurora Assault wiz. And the shrinks will go away eventually because dissipate so I'm basically on a clock. Another thing you can do is make sure you have extra armor in your deck so that when I crumble/disperse it you can bring out more. Also, akiros game. That card is difficult for my deck to deal with unless I disperse it right away. Aside from that, another rush strategy could do the trick, although whether they want to be the beatdown against Aurora Assault wiz or not might depend on the rush strategy. Even though it can be hard to get past the shrink+aurora combo even when Aurora is guarding instead of attacking, if you can put me on the defensive that means I have less time to actually finish you off. Same thing for putting on extra armor/aegis for  me to crumble/disperse. Once I run out of steam I've basically lost, so I have to be careful with the timing of when I'm attacking and when I'm doing non-attack stuff.

Furthermore, I don't have much way to deal with defenses here. Fortunately the only defenses in the game that can be used by a mage so far (iirc) are dodge and symbiotic orb. Dodge of course is a gamble to use because I can use aurora to set it off instead of my mage's attack spells, or I can use basic melee attack if I'm really worried, and even then they might still fail to dodge successfully. Symbiotic orb on the other hand really needs to be crumbled in the early game when I still need Aurora attacking. Later though once Aurora is guarding or gone, I can ignore the orb because it only works on melee attacks.

You can also try arcane warding your equipments and enchantments that give you armor/aegis/defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:54:47 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.