April 30, 2024, 08:30:08 AM

Author Topic: Card of the (come on, who am i kidding lol!)  (Read 4473 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Card of the (come on, who am i kidding lol!)
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
Hello mage warriors! I have returned from Gencon steeped in our gaming culture and bright with new ideas. And since its been so damn long since I've done one of these I'm going to take a few minutes today to talk about an OLD spell, core set even, that you probably don't see very often anymore if at all. But today I'm going to discuss Resurrection!

"Whoa!" You say. "Romeo pump the breaks! That spell is 4 sp! Nobody plays that but the occasional priestess!"
And that's what I'm here to talk about. I think re examination on this card is warranted. Yes it's 4 sp and as a result its usually a whopping 8 sp for the untrained mage! 12 for opposed schools but let's face it, they have better ways to do a similar mechanic cheaper, so let's forget about warlocks and necros for the moment. They will persevere I'm sure.

Let's look at the very basics of the game we all know and love. When building an arena book you can have 6 max lvl 1 copies of a spell, and 4 lvl 2 or higher. That's it! When they are dead they are gone man! Sometimes its not a huge deal,  you can just cast a different creature for a replacement. But what if your strategy hinges on specific creatures? Ive got a druid that needs those 4 thornlashers to behave all game long!  Losing 2 lashers is a huge problem there! I can't have any more than 4 and different snatchers are too expensive and not reliable enough to be used an alternative. Enter Resurrection. I had a match at gen con (non tourney) where my aggressor saw what i was doing and properly countered my strategy by acing down my lashers one by one. He took a great deal of damage in the process but he was perfectly set up to destroy my remaining squishy druid with her last remaining troop, with almost no trouble at all. Not that the mechanics are integral to the tale, but when played properly resurrection can put you right back in the game. Off init i waited till the end of thhe round and cast a mage wand with resurrection and immediately ressed a thornlasher, then knowing i was about to lose the wand cuz we were in one zone of one another, i first qc on initiative pushed him away and ressed another thornlasher.  Minor creatures, lvl 2s specifically really shine with this spell,  because they tend to have low casting costs. I'm talking 7 to 8 mana. Then you can pretty much guarantee you'll have that mana from base channelling. Rez is the lvl plus the casting cost. 9 in total to bring back that dead thornlasher, noble vanguard, kelsar ranger, vine snapper, or 10 for other such dudes, asyran defender (i think) nakara vampiress, temple sharpshooter, etc.
Now it's obviously not an early game spell, its always better to cast another copy of the creature over rezing one cuz its cheaper, but if you've got none left and you just gotta have that thing back on the board, you won't care that it was 4 or 8 spell points, you're just gonna bring back your threat and gain tempo. Need to heal? Need a flyer, rez the dead broken wing angel or messenger of bim shalla and do both! You can also get great millage out of minor creatures this way, staying back and ressurecting your falcons every time they die off  will get really annoying really fast! With a wand and lvl 1 creatures it can be used every turn with rouse the beast. Falcon for 7 rouse for 1. Fast back into the fight. 
Some of these new war creatures coming out might be worth it too.
The spell gets way to costly when you get to the higher creature levels, nobody's resurrecting Alfiya for 30 mana, but even a lvl 3 might be worth it.

Now im not saying that everyone needs to run resurrection, (i mean come on, its not glancing blow! ) but it IS one of those spells that gets you what you need when you need it, kings of like a wand. Only this one is always a surprise, brings back something they thought they were done with, and when played cleverly can really shift the battle back to where you need it. 

Hopefully i can get another one of these out soon, but until then feel free to criticise or comment as you choose. May you all roll well!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:46:45 PM by RomeoXero »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Card of the (come on, who am i kidding lol!)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
I've never seen this card being used. 4 spellbookpoints and the extra cost make it very expensive.. Still, pretty cool you managed to make it work in a game!

(Second chance from priestess academy does it better though imo)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »
I ran second chance for a while. Know what happens? It gets seeking dispelled. There goes 4 sp. Down the tubes. Second chance is tricky due to it needing to be in play already when you need it. In my case i was using it on regening creatures. And its unreliable as to which they are going to attack. Plus given the option to attack 2 creatures, one with a mystery enchant and one that's naked your gonna attack the naked one every time. Wich led to me needing 4 of them for the combo to work and that's 16 sp. No dice there.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
Could be useful in a forcemaster book. Focus on a big buddy that costs more than 8 sbps. Ex) brogan costs 12. Just carry one and ressurection.  When it dies just bring it back.  20 sbps is better than 24.  You still save 1 sbp if you use it for a level 3 creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »
I've seen and used Resurrection on a Mage Wand with Priestess.
7+ hour games are not for everyone.

"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
ok. how much does using resurrection actually increase the expected length of the game? i can hardly imagine that 7+ hours is typical even with resurrection.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »
Last game i played resurrection in lasted no longer than a  hour. And i won because of it. So it doesn't HAVE to make a match super long. But i see where biblo is coming from. A priestess with a ress wand and high mana can make a game super long. And has.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
Yea I have seen Resurrection used Fairly effectively.  Thought I had a game won when I took out Allandel but his Mage had a resurrection And brought him back the next turn.  I sunk in a good amount of resources in taken him down the first time I was playing catch up and eventually lost.   I think it can surprise players if timed correctly. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster