April 19, 2024, 05:43:37 AM

Author Topic: Academy Warlord spoilers! LIVESTREAM!  (Read 13999 times)

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Academy Warlord spoilers! LIVESTREAM!
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »
Hey all!

Arcane Duels is streaming now!  We will be covering some of the new cards from Warlord Academy!  Come join us for some fun discussion!

Here's the Video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ZUhSOALzI!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:33:51 AM by Puddnhead »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Warlord spoilers! LIVESTREAM!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
Is this still happening or already over? 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:26 PM »
Livestream is over, but the video will be up and ready for viewing on the Arcane Duels channel soon!  I will update the original post with a link when it's ready.

Let us know what you think about this format.  We're trying several things out and having your feedback is critical to finding what works the best for the most people.

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:10 AM »
Wow, the goblin might be tied with the falcon about the #1 lvl 1 creature.

I think they are both ahead by a rather large margin...  and this lvl 2 enchantment-destroyer certainly is very interesting as well.

Additionally the new formations are strong for swarming tactics as well, especially since the warlords familiar can cast them! That's very convenient.

Adding the new FM-amulet I think that bloodwave warlord (vet. token on these goblins) become seriously competitive. Okay, maybe not competitive but they still get a huge boost. I like it very much so far.

Can't wait to see more spoilers! 

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
Wow, the goblin might be tied with the falcon about the #1 lvl 1 creature.

I think they are both ahead by a rather large margin...  and this lvl 2 enchantment-destroyer certainly is very interesting as well.

Additionally the new formations are strong for swarming tactics as well, especially since the warlords familiar can cast them! That's very convenient.

Adding the new FM-amulet I think that bloodwave warlord (vet. token on these goblins) become seriously competitive. Okay, maybe not competitive but they still get a huge boost. I like it very much so far.

Can't wait to see more spoilers!

you mean the elf, right?  i also really liked the formations, we need more commands  :)  the elf is alright, 1 mana more better goblin grunt , the rest not so much

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
Omg... release that video!

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
Omg... release that video!

it's your own fault for sleeping at 4am in the morning! :p

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
Watched it live. Wow, really excited about Formations...

The "Elven Grunt" is quite good, and the Harshforge Construct is a neat in-school Dispel replacement supplement, albeit a little gimmicky (e.g. you depend on the dice in order to trigger his ability, and when you do use it, you give up dealing damage). But I question the decision to go with a High Elven Warlord and Elven War-school soldiers rather than filling out the Goblin and Dwarven ranks while keeping (High) Elven soldiers/knights in the Holy and/or Holy & War schools.  I get that generally your species shouldn't define your training, but when there's already a precedent and options haven't been exhausted, I'd prefer to stick with precedent. Oh well. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for level 1 Dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:39:53 AM by iNano78 »

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:34:11 AM »
Video is up, people!

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Something was mentioned about multiple formations not being allowed in the same zone and having to flip any other formation enchantments back to the face down side. Three questions about that.

First I assume the controller of the formations gets to choose which formations to flip to face down?
Second, can I reveal a different formation in a zone with an already revealed formation to change which buff I am getting.
And third, when leaving the zone with a flipped formation enchantment will I have to pay the reveal cost again?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »
Something was mentioned about multiple formations not being allowed in the same zone and having to flip any other formation enchantments back to the face down side. Three questions about that.

First I assume the controller of the formations gets to choose which formations to flip to face down?
Second, can I reveal a different formation in a zone with an already revealed formation to change which buff I am getting.
And third, when leaving the zone with a flipped formation enchantment will I have to pay the reveal cost again?

Anybody else getting a vibe that Formations are a little like Paladin Auras, but easier to activate, swap, put in the zone they're needed in, etc... e.g. "better"... ?

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »

1) Yes, the controller chooses.  Also, the rule is only one "Friendly formation" can be revealed at one time.  So team Warlord will have to choose, but mirror match it won't matter.
2) Yes, if you reveal a new formation you must flip the old formation face down.
3) Every time you reveal an enchantment you must pay the reveal cost.  Flipping formations willy-nilly will lose you mana.

Bonus: "A Formation can only be revealed with the attached creature activates."

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
Formations are so sweet!  It makes the swarm warlord very viable and maybe even the strongest of the mages.  There are so many more good cards in this set.!!!

Gurmash is an easy addition to any warlord book with all these new commands and formations. 

Warlord may end up being my main once this is released. 

Warlord will be the king of Range attacks with the help of fire at will and possibly other cards in this set.   ;)

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
Formations are so sweet!  It makes the swarm warlord very viable and maybe even the strongest of the mages.  There are so many more good cards in this set.!!!

From the cards so far he is still behind. Not sure if he's even competitive yet - not to speak of "maybe even the strongest" - Hold your horses! :p

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »

From the cards so far he is still behind. Not sure if he's even competitive yet - not to speak of "maybe even the strongest" - Hold your horses! :p

He's certainly getting a lot stronger in multiplayer Domination, where total actions (including multiple melee strikes through Battle Fury or Whirling Strike), zone control, Guards and ways of evading guards are all important. There, he was already one of our strongest mages. Slaknir making all Goblins Elusive is particularly awesome, and he has a great selection of walls. Add a few Formations and he's going to be really tough to overthrow in that format.