April 27, 2024, 10:42:48 AM

Author Topic: Warlock Arraxain Crown: Minor Reaper Opening  (Read 4216 times)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Warlock Arraxain Crown: Minor Reaper Opening
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »
Mage Wars: Warlock Arraxain Crown Minor Reaper Deck Opening.

The idea behind this opening is to use a Sanguine Hunter+Reaper as a cheap quick glass canon creature.
The Warlock will damage the enemy, then the Hunter will hit with 6 dice. This should let you have mana for more fun little spells like Fireball.  :)
The Sanguine Hunter+Reaper+(Demonic Link OR Bloodthirsty Ench)+the possibility of Sanguine Thirst and Dodge when needed.

Opening
#1: 10+9=19. (Standard opening)
Mana Crystal -5,
Battle Forge -8,

#2: 6+10=16. 
>Curse Ring -1,
Mana Crystal -5,
Sanguine Hunter+Reaper -3,
   Casting the Hunter and the Curse Ring may dissuade the enemy mage from rushing into a curse, for that reason I would not cast the mana crystal until the End QC phase to keep him or her guessing.

#3: 7+11=18.
>Enchant Ring -1,
Bloodthirsty ench on the Hunter (5-2=3) -3, (I would possibly use Demonic Link instead for -2 mana).
Attack with the mage OR (Zombie Brute -11)
   Attack with the mage so the Hunter can get the 6 dice bloodthirsty. If the enemy is staying back then cast a Zombie Brute or mid size demon to push him.

#4: 14+11=25 OR(3+11=14). 
     Now it depends on how you react to your opponents movement. I would keep casting cheap curses (more for the annoying factor, then any real damage). Try to keep at least one of the 3 war protect enchantments (Braceyourself, Dodge, Glancing Blow) on the Hunter. Lastly I would continue to bash face with the warlock whenever you are not casting a Darkpact Slayer/Blood Demon/Zombie Brute (you should try to keep a Hunter Reaper and 2 Mid/Large Creatures).

Tell me what you think.
Has anyone tried a similar style?
BTW: sorry for my english, I been working 16/18hr work days, so I'm a little tired.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:27:10 PM by Werekingdom »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock Arraxain Crown: Minor Reaper Opening
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:50:13 AM »
for early attack sounds interessting, for me the hunter is to easily killed for the investment. And its not really a glass canon it gets the canon only after you invest another enchantment not sure if its worth it. Of course you get the curse back so no sbp.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:56:23 AM »
Seems a bit expensive to me. Since bloodreaper gives offensive power and healing to the mage, I'd rather put it on a demon that sticks around longer. You have almost no use of these effects if he dies fast.

In contrast, Pet gives survivability (armor +1, life +3) and  offense (melee +1/+2). This boost is much better on small guys, especially in combination with quicksummoning.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »
Seems a bit expensive to me. Since bloodreaper gives offensive power and healing to the mage, I'd rather put it on a demon that sticks around longer. You have almost no use of these effects if he dies fast.

In contrast, Pet gives survivability (armor +1, life +3) and  offense (melee +1/+2). This boost is much better on small guys, especially in combination with quicksummoning.

Hello Halewijn,

I agree that the Hunter dies fast, but he can do a lot of damage for his price. If you just cast the Hunter without the enchantments then you get a 4 dice creature that only cost 3 mana, I normanly guard with the mage when I think the Hunter will be attacked.

I see your reason for having a bigger Reaper, I just like the idea of having many threats (Hunter+Darkpact Slayer+ect) instead of having only one major threat that can be nerfed into the ground.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:41 PM »
Personally i love the hunters... just not for the Araxian crown. Unless you've got a specific way to counteract it, you get a 6 life 1 armor creature that has 2 damage on it, or you take 2 damage yourself, then spend 2 life making it a reaper. Maybe paired with a bridge troll in the zone as well? Or with regrowth on? Tbh i only play sanguine hunters in tree druid books. I like how quick you are making the dice add up, but I  reality the sanguine hunters will eat one attack, two if they are lucky. Meanwhile you keep losing 2 life and 2 damage each time you play one.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!