March 28, 2024, 06:10:26 PM

Author Topic: "Full Action" and movement to zone with Steep Hill terrain  (Read 4900 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I didn't see this question anywhere when I searched.

A friend gave me his understanding of the mechanics related to whether a creature can move into a zone with Steep Hill terrain... and I just wanted to confirm. (Friend, you know who you are... it's not I don't trust you... but....)

Can a non-slow / non-lumbering creature two zones away with no other hindrances move two zones (using a full action) to move into a zone with a Steep Hill, or must the creature already be adjacent to the hill to begin with (similar to using climbing on a wall)?

If so, can a fast creature move one or two zones and attack?

Would someone please help me understand what is intended?
Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Full Action" and movement to zone with Steep Hill terrain
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
I believe the answer to all of your questions is no, since activating a creature lets you either a) take a move action and then a quick action, or b) take a full action.

Since moving into this zone would require a full action, you wouldn't be able to do anything else with that activation.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »
No the slow or lumbering creature can not move from two zones up a hill. In fact no one but a flyer can. It's not about zones with the hill it's about the action itself. It takes your full action to move from the zone adjacent into the zone with the hill.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:54 AM »
Vlad gave pretty much the exact answer I would. After you activate you must choose to either take a Full Action or a Move + Quick Action. These are separate choices. Two moves is choosing to take a Move + a Quick Action (spent on a second move). It is not a Full Action. The way Steep Hill works is that a single move into it, i.e. from an adjacent zone, requires your Full Action instead of the normal Move Action. You can't do anything else.

That said, I will point out that this doesn't necessarily affect special movement rules like the Blue Gremlin's teleport ability. You could sprint across the Arena with him into a Steep Hill like that. I also believe that Water Elemental could use it's free action move after an attack to move into a Steep Hill.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
so a creature with fast could not move from 2 zones away up a steep hill?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »
Indeed, it cannot. There is no interaction with steep hill & fast, slow or lumbering.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
So it is very much like climbing a wall... which is how I would have thought....

Good to know... thanks.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:06 AM »
I also believe that Water Elemental could use it's free action move after an attack to move into a Steep Hill.

I doubt that this new way of moving is covered at the moment.

Since the water elemental is not taking a move action, like a creature getting pushed is not taking a move action then i would assume that the water elemental actually can enter steep hill zone and / or go move through wall of thorns after it pushes a creature.

The limitations / requirements from Supression orb, WoT and Steep Hill are targeting creatures taking the action of moving - which the Water Elemental isn't doing as part of the attack sequence.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »
WoT attacks things that pass through it and arent lvl1. Force push doesnt cause a move action, but it causes a WoT to attack the creature pushed through it either way. So though i believe that a water elemental could in fact move through one with its free move after push, but it would definitely get attacked by the wall as a result
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
WoT attacks things that pass through it and arent lvl1.

the text on WoT also states they creatures higher than level 1 must spend a full action to move through...thats what im referring to.

The card on water elemental says *may move*. It should be clear that WE recieves the attack... but thats not whats in question... can it move through or not, despite it requiring a full action to do so.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »
Since the hill doesn't block movement, I'd say the elemental may use that ability. Just as force push also gets them on the hill.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
I guess its a matter of the intention of the Water Elemental and its mechanic.

My perception of the card from a thematic perspective is that the *may move* is more like *pushed with* the enemy. The enemy may counterstrike (if able) in the new zone, so its not like the WE is knocking the enemy away and then just walks up to him.

Other knockback creatures eliminates the chance to counterstrike when successfully causing push.