April 29, 2024, 12:36:06 PM

Author Topic: Strongest  (Read 3836 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Strongest
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »
In a multiplayer match, does each opponent have a strongest creature (which activates KotRH's ability, etc)?

Is an uncontrolled Usslak (orb guardian) considered a strongest creature? Does an opponent's higher-cost creature overrule this, or will it always be the "neutral opponent's" strongest creature?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:17:21 PM »
I believe the strongest mechanic runs on having an opponent and Uslaks are uncontrolled. Also In the absence of a strongest creature the mage itself becomes the strongest creature. So the slaks and their big brothers dont factor into the equation unless theyve been summoned from a book, or through the Vtorrak gate. Each player always has a strongest creature as there is always a mage in play, but you may not have anything that harnesses the strongest mechanic.
No nuetral creature will ever be the strongest creature
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
Strongest is not limited per player or per team. All that Strongest refers to is which creature has the highest mana cost in the Arena. If I have a Grizzly bear and you have no creatures, then my Grizzly Bear is the strongest creature in the Arena. If neither of us have any creatures and there's a neutral Sslak, then the Sslak is the strongest creature.

Now, most spells that utilize the Strongest mechanic do limit it more than that. They usually specify that they refer to the Strongest enemy creature. However, if you have multiple enemies then it is still doesn't distinguish between them. In a 3 person FFA game, there will still only be one strongest enemy creature (unless multiple creatures are tied for highest mana cost).

Neutral creatures are to be treated as enemies according to the Battleground rules. If your opponent(s) don't have any creatures with a higher mana cost than the neutral creatures, then the neutral creatures are the only thing that counts as the Strongest enemy creature.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:24:26 PM »
I stand corrected. Lol! Didn't have the supplement in my work van sorry guys!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
At which point in time does the strongest creature need to be selected when there is a tie?

I see that the player controlling the enemy creatures chooses when you need to know... but is that done at the start of the round (or at the first time in the round when there are two highest mana cost creatures), after a friendly creature activates, after a target of the friendly creature is selected, etc.?

Can the selection change from one point in the round to another? (I go to attack Iron Golem #1 with one creature, when Golem #2 is selected... and then later in the same round I got to attack Iron Golem #2 with another creature, when Golem #1 is selected, for example.) I understand that a creature being summoned into the arena by the opponent can change which of his creatures is the strongest in the middle of a round, but other times?

This is just enemy creatures... right? I mean, if my friendly creature was the strongest in the arena, I would never be targeting the strongest in the arena....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 01:44:09 AM »
if you are looking for "the strongest creature", it can be yours, but normally it's "the strongest enemy creature".

about the choice, the rules say that strongest refers to [...] and that the controller may choose.
it seems to me it means that the controler may choose every time the players need to know which creature is the strongest (if there is a tie). was it the rulers' meaning?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 02:28:48 AM »
The rule is referring to the player controlling the effect which references the strongest creature. So, if I control a knight of the red helm, I get to choose which enemy creature counts as the strongest (from among those tied) every time I use that effect, which means every time my knight attacks.

If I have multiple knights of the red helm, then each could attack a different creature tied for the highest mana cost and still get the bonus.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
OK!
I thought "strongest effect" was for "strongest object".