April 16, 2024, 04:47:24 AM

Author Topic: Origins Tournament 2017  (Read 20862 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Origins Tournament 2017
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Brief rundown of My matches

We had 12 players in the tournament.
I think this was the spread of all the mages, I could be wrong.

Wizard
Paladin
Araxian Crown Warlock x2
Adramalech Warlock
Forcmaster x 3
Anvil Throne Warlord X 1 (edit)
Bloodwave Warlord
Straywood Beastmaster
Joktari Beastmaster

I played the Straywood went 1-3
All by death.

First match

against Coshade's Forcemaster

I made lots of mistakes playing too aggressive for my first match. 

Coshade ran a thoughtspore with a hurl rock, And a minds eye.
He Ran lots of enchantments on himself and cursed me mid game. 
My creatures did some work but I played too aggressive with my Mage getting hit with the curses and the rocks to finish killing my Mage. 

I did not properly armor up.  I should of tried and taken out the thoughtspore too.  I was nervous during my first match and did not stick to my game plan.  I did do some good damage but Coshade was able to lay it on a lot faster. 

Thinking back I had a few tools I could of pulled out such as some surging waves to his Mage and/ or elephant grass to make myself obscured. 

Second match

Sailor vulcans Forcemaster

This match I played a ton better and was more relaxed.

He opened with thoughtspore and minds eye.  Very similar match.  He had surging wave on his.  Enchanted and armored up. 
I played an early elephants grass behind my lair.  Best move I ever did.  I was able to force his Mage to come to me.  I had tons of creatures out, I disarmed his chest piece to put some major damage down.  Was able to put down a call of the wild to get the extra damage for the win. 

Third match
Against my buddy Arthur's Forcemaster

Yeah not too happy about playing 3 forcemaster's in a row

But I knew his book and practiced against it several times, so that was a plus.

His standard opening is to move and play mana siphon.  He also played Mordok's Obelisk right away knowing about my swarms.  I summoned a pet falcon round two after my standard lair harmonize opening.   Round three he casted suppression orb.  I enchanted my bird with lion savagery and divine might.  My Mage and the falcon did some work on the mana siphon to destroy it.  I saved up for a giant wolf spider and put bear strength on it.  He of course than put down harsh forge monolith and I took care of that fairly quickly.  I also destroyed the suppression orb.  From there he had a fair amount of equipment including galvitar.  My pet flacon and his force fist thoughtspore had their own side battle going on with my falcon killing off the thoughtspore. 
I got slavorg out along with sosruko and Tarraki.  Biting and clawing on his Forcemaster.  Got one taint off.  But many of my effects were missing.  He put out force field with an arcane ward on mid game so just kept attacking.  Arthur also placed confusion on Slavorg allowing him to hit me once.  I did not properly guard and should of just kept guarding with him near the end.  I got galvitared in the face for the finishing blow.  Close match tho.  One I should of won if I properly guarded. 

Final match
Puddinhead's construction yard Bloodwave warlord (edit)

Good solid match.  Maybe my longest match of the tourny.

Puddinhead opened with construction yard and a ballista.  Panzergaurd came out early to defend the ballista and his Mage.  I popped a falcon and a bunch of hounds out on the board.  He moved down one and focused at first my harmonized lair with the ballista.  The move closer with his Mage with 0 armor no boots I thought I could push him through a vine wall.  That's what I did.  I rolled pretty horribly only getting 6-7 damage off.  I opted not to do a second wall push in the same round, And played more defensively putting down another creature.  I tried it again a second time a couple turns later disarming the boots and rolling on 3-4 damage.  10 damage with two pushes with two different walls because the first was destroyed.  I was very disspointed in the amount of damage from the Wall pushes.

Puddinhead was playing very well targeting my creatures so I never had as much as I wanted out.  He also played a mid game battleforge and a late game barracks which I thought was really amazing and cool he pulled it off.  He armored up effectively and summoned a Bridge troll early....as well a bunch of goblin grunts from the barracks late.  I use my force hammer to try get him into killing position.  I don't think it did the damage I wanted.  He swarmed my Mage and focused me down.  Last ditch Effort i only had a couple of surging waves spell left so I attacked his panzergaurd and surging waved him.  He fled in corner double earth walled.  He dealt with a some of my other creatures and targeted my Mage with his bridge troll, attacked his own wall to bring it down on purpose and came out.  Unfortunately for me he had initiative next round.
Puddinhead hurled Boulder for the win.

Good game I should of targeted the ballista taken it down early, and that may have solved my ability to swarm faster and have a more consistent damage on him.  I also needed one more big attack spell in my book. 

All in all very fun competitive tournament. Learned a lot about my book by playing new opponents.  All the players were really nice and enjoyable to game with.  Again thanks to the arcane duels for hosting. 

We got some cool promos and awards for participating in the tournament.  The players that ranked higher in the top 4 got some cool stuff as well all donated by arcane wonders. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:36:29 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »
Great write up, Farkas!  Just a  clarification about the tournament roster:

3 Forcemasters
2 Adramelech Warlocks
1 Arraxian Crown Warlock
1 Paladin
1 Straywood Beastmaster
1 Johktari Beastmaster
1 Wizard
1 Anvil Throne Warlord
1 Bloodwave Warlord (me)

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
Opps my bad should of remembered that I updated it to make it correct.  Thanks Puddinhead!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »
Did any ability of Bloodwave was used?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2017, 05:32:55 AM »
Did any ability of Bloodwave was used?

Talos got a Veteran Token at the end of a match.  ;)
Melee +1 was consistently useful.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster